The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which lenses should a Canon DSLR user own?

shumicse

Which are the must to have lenses for a Canon DSLR user? It should be depending upon versatility, quality and price.

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
Which are the must to have lenses for a Canon DSLR user? It should be depending upon versatility, quality and price.
This totally depends on what you are mainly shooting. I used my Canon gear for many different things, so had a variety of lenses, both Canon and other brands. For the Canon lenses, I had the following:

For landscape, I loved the 24TSE and the 16 - 35 f/2.8. I also had the 17 TSE, but did not use that quite as much as the 24, which always seemed to be mounted to my camera for landscape shooting.

Their primes are pretty great as well. I had the 50/1.2, the 85/1.2, and the 135/2, which were used for portraits, etc.

For sports, I relied on the 70-200/2/8, the 300/2.8 and the 400/2.8

First, define your needs, then build the kit around it. That's what I did.

2WK

The 24-70 is a fantastic standard zoom. The 70-200 is amazing.
You would be fairly well covered with just these two lenses although they are on the pricier side.
Maybe add the 50 1.2 or 85 1.2 if you want to really obliterate the background of a subject or shoot in low light. This would be a great kit for shooting fashion or portraits.

shumicse

This totally depends on what you are mainly shooting. I used my Canon gear for many different things, so had a variety of lenses, both Canon and other brands. For the Canon lenses, I had the following:

For landscape, I loved the 24TSE and the 16 - 35 f/2.8. I also had the 17 TSE, but did not use that quite as much as the 24, which always seemed to be mounted to my camera for landscape shooting.

Their primes are pretty great as well. I had the 50/1.2, the 85/1.2, and the 135/2, which were used for portraits, etc.

For sports, I relied on the 70-200/2/8, the 300/2.8 and the 400/2.8

First, define your needs, then build the kit around it. That's what I did.
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on detailed here.

shumicse

The 24-70 is a fantastic standard zoom. The 70-200 is amazing.
You would be fairly well covered with just these two lenses although they are on the pricier side.
Maybe add the 50 1.2 or 85 1.2 if you want to really obliterate the background of a subject or shoot in low light. This would be a great kit for shooting fashion or portraits.
Thanks for the suggestion, I am definitely going to check it out.

pchaps

Important to consider your subject matter. Also, is your camera full-frame?

The suggestions of Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/2.8 are a classic combination. Yet, for a wildlife photographer (needs longer focal length eg 400mm+ f/2.8) or architectural photographer (use TSE tilt shift lens eg Canon 24mm TSE), these might not be appropriate.

Also, what is your budget? The Canon 50mm f/1.8 is US$100 wonderful. The f/4 versions of the Canon 24-70 and 70-200 are more affordable and have excellent performance. Save some money :)

Tell us more about your photography!

pfigen

The questions that should be asked first are: What is your immediate budget, and what do you shoot? And then prioritize as very few of us can afford to buy every lens we might want right now.

asiafish

Different for everyone. For me, I'm delighted with my 50mm f/1.2L and while it doesn't excite me and is rarely used, the 24-70mm f/4 IS L is my number two.

Honestly, for what I use a DSLR for (travel to very humid places and light event work) I pretty much use the 50 L and call it a day.