The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss 21

TimWright

Does anyone have any experience with this lens on a FF Canon? I had thought the lens was delayed till mid summer but my dealer told me he will have one of the new EF 21's in about a week. Of course my 1ds3 just went off to Canon for the focus recall so hopefully I will get it back in time for the arrival of this lens to try it.

robmac

I know Guy has. Also the Alternate forum on FM is a great place to get samples. Also www.16-9.net has tests of the 21 vs the 14-24G among many other top UWAs.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I have the original C/Y 21/2.8 Distagon and it is world class for a 21. I use it on a 5D and if you do landscapes or interior is a must have.
Here are a couple of examples.

TimWright

Great shots! Looks like it is a winner. I have not been that happy with the files from my 1dsmk3. I remember how good the files from my hassy with zeiss glass back in the 70's. I also remember how good the images were with my contax rts with zeiss glass in the mid 80's. I am looking forward to trying this lens on my canon.

D

ddk

I know Guy has. Also the Alternate forum on FM is a great place to get samples. Also www.16-9.net has tests of the 21 vs the 14-24G among many other top UWAs.
I never found this site credible and specially less so in this case that the final results of their test nets them sales on some very expensive adaptors.

I had the 14-24 and tested it against the Nikkor 14/2.8 and 18mm & 25mm Zeiss ZF lenses, and as good as the 14-24 is as a zoom lens it doesn't even come close to the Zeiss primes in objective parameters. I don't have the 21mm in my hands yet but am pretty certain that its not going to fall short of the Nikkor either!

robmac

Since the only adapter he sells is to use the Nikon 14-24G on Canon, only potential Canon-owning 14-24G buyers need worry about buying it.
The chap running it also concurs with you - as as the 14-24 is, the 21 still beats it - mustache distortion aside.

From his site: "In conclusion, then: there's nothing to touch the Distagon 21mm. But only the (my edit: resolution of the) 1Ds III makes the distinction this clear".

Last edited: