Site Sponsors

Thread: Zeiss 21

Post Thanks / Like

Zeiss 21

Does anyone have any experience with this lens on a FF Canon? I had thought the lens was delayed till mid summer but my dealer told me he will have one of the new EF 21's in about a week. Of course my 1ds3 just went off to Canon for the focus recall so hopefully I will get it back in time for the arrival of this lens to try it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Zeiss 21

I know Guy has. Also the Alternate forum on FM is a great place to get samples. Also www.16-9.net has tests of the 21 vs the 14-24G among many other top UWAs.

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have the original C/Y 21/2.8 Distagon and it is world class for a 21. I use it on a 5D and if you do landscapes or interior is a must have.
    Here are a couple of examples.

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like

Great shots! Looks like it is a winner. I have not been that happy with the files from my 1dsmk3. I remember how good the files from my hassy with zeiss glass back in the 70's. I also remember how good the images were with my contax rts with zeiss glass in the mid 80's. I am looking forward to trying this lens on my canon.

Post Thanks / Like

Only Nikon mount is ready for production. Canon to be ready until Q3, well according to Lloyd Chambers. http://diglloyd.com/diglloyd/blog.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uaiomex View Post
    Only Nikon mount is ready for production. Canon to be ready until Q3, well according to Lloyd Chambers. http://diglloyd.com/diglloyd/blog.html
    Thats what I thought but i guess they are starting to ship as I was told he would have one it about a week.

ddk

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    I know Guy has. Also the Alternate forum on FM is a great place to get samples. Also www.16-9.net has tests of the 21 vs the 14-24G among many other top UWAs.
    I never found this site credible and specially less so in this case that the final results of their test nets them sales on some very expensive adaptors.

I had the 14-24 and tested it against the Nikkor 14/2.8 and 18mm & 25mm Zeiss ZF lenses, and as good as the 14-24 is as a zoom lens it doesn't even come close to the Zeiss primes in objective parameters. I don't have the 21mm in my hands yet but am pretty certain that its not going to fall short of the Nikkor either!

Post Thanks / Like

Since the only adapter he sells is to use the Nikon 14-24G on Canon, only potential Canon-owning 14-24G buyers need worry about buying it.
    The chap running it also concurs with you - as as the 14-24 is, the 21 still beats it - mustache distortion aside.

From his site: "In conclusion, then: there's nothing to touch the Distagon 21mm. But only the (my edit: resolution of the) 1Ds III makes the distinction this clear".
    Last edited by robmac; 21st March 2009 at 11:58.

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately it was a misprint on the notice it was the Nikon version that was shipped