Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 51 to 100 of 100

Thread: Canon FF Mirrorless

  1. #51
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    4,259
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post
    In fairness thatís nearly comparable to most APS-C crop modes, equal to Fuji 4K, and possibly was done to reduce rolling shutter (which probably says something about Canon readout speed and bitrates being offered.) itís probably isnít a deal breaker for the average person and you can think of it as a 80D with 4K maybe.
    Well obviously our philosophy and requirements differ!

    I do not want to pay for a FF camera and carry around FF (big and heavy) lenses when I am only getting out APSC functionality for some important things like 4k!

    Is unfortunately a NO GO for me and not debatable.

  2. #52
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Weather sealing and a wide lens mount- two great aspects of the Canon and Nikon mirrorless offerings that are sorely missing from the Sony line up.

    Just poor components overall that make up the Sony cams. The lens contacts in even premium cameras are not that much better than the one in the first NEX cam, for example.

    Price of the new Canon camera is quite justified in comparison, IMO.
    I think marketing is generating issues where there were none for most with lens mounts. Leica has long used a mount smaller than the E-mount and produced high quality fast lenses. As an example look at all those Sony lenses that were at or near the top of DXO Lab ratings or do we just dismiss those thingswhen they aren’t beneficial to make a point?

    Nothing against any of these cameras. I think they’re all fine but I don’t know that they individually push the market to advance.

    I agree the pricing seems 100% fair as well. Nothing that blows me away but certainly fair and somewhat better than expected (I hoped for $2k but expected $2500).
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  3. #53
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Well obviously our philosophy and requirements differ!

    I do not want to pay for a FF camera and carry around FF (big and heavy) lenses when I am only getting out APSC functionality for some important things like 4k!

    Is unfortunately a NO GO for me and not debatable.
    Well I wasnít saying it was IDEAL but I did want to offer objective viewpoints. I personally wouldnít want to be forced into a crop mode but many people use them effectively on a daily basis.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  4. #54
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    14,388
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    31

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    Not marketing. I have here the lens contact blocks from NEx’ and A7rII. Cheap stuff.

    They really ought to improve the quality of the very few components that are in their cams.

    They are not at all low priced cameras!

    Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post
    I think marketing is generating issues where there were none for most with lens mounts. Leica has long used a mount smaller than the E-mount and produced high quality fast lenses. As an example look at all those Sony lenses that were at or near the top of DXO Lab ratings or do we just dismiss those thingswhen they aren’t beneficial to make a point?

    Nothing against any of these cameras. I think they’re all fine but I don’t know that they individually push the market to advance.

    I agree the pricing seems 100% fair as well. Nothing that blows me away but certainly fair and somewhat better than expected (I hoped for $2k but expected $2500).

  5. #55
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    Interesting take.

    https://youtu.be/HtnOTvCSIeY
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  6. #56
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Not marketing. I have here the lens contact blocks from NExí and A7rII. Cheap stuff.

    They really ought to improve the quality of the very few components that are in their cams.

    They are not at all low priced cameras!
    What would you suggest? What issues have you had with the components so far? Iím not against improvements at all and hope we see more of them.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  7. #57
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    The newest rumors are that this is the prosumer model and a higher end model is still coming later.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  8. #58
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    14,388
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    31

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    Already did. Stop using/making cheap stuff.

    Tre, When people like you are defending every crappy thing Sony does, what is the point?



    Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post
    What would you suggest? What issues have you had

    with the components so far? Iím not against improvements at all and hope we see more of them.

  9. #59
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Already did. Stop using/making cheap stuff.

    Tre, When people like you are defending every crappy thing Sony does, what is the point?
    Not defending or anything of the sort.

    Just stating I didnít have the same experience but I also donít take cameras apart like you do. That being said there have been advancements that theyíve made like strengthening the lens mounts.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  10. #60
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,825
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    Good luck to all of you buying and using the new gear by whomever!
    Have at it and fun. It may get a bit more quiet in the Sony images threads.

    We had over the long weekend family visiting, a son, wife, and grandkids.
    Used A9, TAP, Noct-Nikkor 58/1.2 and Summilux-R 80/1.4 when I was shooting.
    The FE 55/1.8 did the job when I handed the A9 to family members.
    All images shot successfully with Eye-AF.

    Of course, the adults have late model iPhones as well.
    Works for me.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  11. #61
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    DPReview initial impressions - https://youtu.be/no_x-q1VXlI
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  12. #62
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,766
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Good luck to all of you buying and using the new gear by whomever!
    Have at it and fun. It may get a bit more quiet in the Sony images threads.

    We had over the long weekend family visiting, a son, wife, and grandkids.
    Used A9, TAP, Noct-Nikkor 58/1.2 and Summilux-R 80/1.4 when I was shooting.
    The FE 55/1.8 did the job when I handed the A9 to family members.
    All images shot successfully with Eye-AF.

    Of course, the adults have late model iPhones as well.
    Works for me.
    Weíll make you change your mind, K-H ...
    Bart ...
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  13. #63
    Senior Member DougDolde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Joshua Tree, CA
    Posts
    664
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    I think the new Canon would make a nice camera, but I wouldn't trade my D850 for it.

  14. #64
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,825
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    The Canon EOS R isn't a mirrorless 5D IV, but it's a start
    https://www.dpreview.com/articles/82...4010_132618830

    You don't say!
    With best regards, K-H.

  15. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    619
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    I am very happy for the Canon folk here and being an 'ex' myself, happy for the company too.

    It is a great time for us all, competition is always healthy. I just feel that Canon has neglected the sensor aspect of its cameras for a bit too long though. The lens lineup is definitely great.

    Will be interesting to see what Sony comes up with in the next lot.
    Too much to list, let's just say I have a bad case of GAS.........
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  16. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    835
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    Entertaining times. Depending on the forum I visit I read: Canon is dead, Nikon won't make it, Fuji has no future, mft will disappear. And all the Chuck Norris of camera testing have their real life reviews out even before manufacturers have made one single unit of a rumored new product.
    Entertaining times, for sure. Beer and Chips please 😜🤣
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  17. #67
    Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    6,092
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    592

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    All I’ll add as someone who has no skin in the Canon game (well, other than their TSE lenses I use on my Phase & GFX Cameras) is that this is a great time for photographers. Sony is pathfinding, Fuji is covering a wide range of solutions including 35mm and GF, Olympus has great smaller sensor solutions and now Nikon and Canon are entering the market of the mirrorless future (even if arguably from behind). How great is that? Innovation is the natural result of competition. That’s always good for everybody.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

    As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  18. #68
    Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    6,092
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    592

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    Quote Originally Posted by retow View Post
    Entertaining times. Depending on the forum I visit I read: Canon is dead, Nikon won't make it, Fuji has no future, mft will disappear. And all the Chuck Norris of camera testing have their real life reviews out even before manufacturers have made one single unit of a rumored new product.
    Entertaining times, for sure. Beer and Chips please 😜🤣
    Letís boycott the YouTube whores Tony & Chelsea, Fro knows photo, Matt Granger and all the other click bait vendors.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

    As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  19. #69
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    14,388
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    31

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    One correction. It is Panasonic that was the pathfinder. Samsung pushed Sony into the game and they got in in a hurry without thinking through a proper lens mount. The motivator Samsung was pushed out. Let us hope Canon, Nikon and Panasonic drive Sony to be better.

    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    All Iíll add as someone who has no skin in the Canon game (well, other than their TSE lenses I use on my Phase & GFX Cameras) is that this is a great time for photographers. Sony is pathfinding, Fuji is covering a wide range of solutions including 35mm and GF, Olympus has great smaller sensor solutions and now Nikon and Canon are entering the market of the mirrorless future (even if arguably from behind). How great is that? Innovation is the natural result of competition. Thatís always good for everybody.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  20. #70
    Senior Member DougDolde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Joshua Tree, CA
    Posts
    664
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    Why hasn't Canon released a future lens roadmap like Nikon did for the Z series?

  21. #71
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    Why hasn't Canon released a future lens roadmap like Nikon did for the Z series?
    No idea but thereís still Photokina to look for a potential roadmap...
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  22. #72
    Senior Member DougDolde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Joshua Tree, CA
    Posts
    664
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    This thing needs wide angle primes not zooms ! Keep it light. I'd like to see a 28mm, 20mm at least

  23. #73
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    This thing needs wide angle primes not zooms ! Keep it light. I'd like to see a 28mm, 20mm at least
    Zooms are probably he easy obvious choice for a new system to cover general photographic ranges. A part of me wouldíve preferred Nikon to introduce an updated 24-120 for the Z system. It wouldíve been more useful than a 24-70 since neither will likely have any true native midrange telephoto options until next year some time.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  24. #74
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    14,388
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    31

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless


  25. #75
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    52
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    A quick review and comparison of the specs (likes and dislikes) from a Canon and Sony user...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIHYPK8BNwo

    I find Mr Abbott one of the few down-to-Earth and 'no hype' types unlike many others I've seen.


    Duff

  26. #76
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    133
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    I do not want to pay for a FF camera and carry around FF (big and heavy) lenses when I am only getting out APSC functionality for some important things like 4k!

    Is unfortunately a NO GO for me and not debatable.
    It looks like you will need to wait at least one more generation for proper 10-bit 4:2:2 4K full frame, at least without using an external recorder. Maybe Panasonic will manage this with their rumoured FF camera?

    The next generation after that will be the Leica SL replacement, and the Sony A7s replacement. The current A7s is a video-only camera, with its 12MP sensor, so you have to pair it with a second A7 camera to do stills (and it needs a recorder to do 10-bit).

    The other options are the new Blackmagic Pocket 4K and the GH5, each with a Speed Booster adapter. Those will get you a "nearly full-frame" look, recorded on 4/3 sensors.

    Note: for those who don't know, you need at least 10-bit log recording (or better-yet RAW video) to shoot HDR. Shooting 8-bit for HDR leads to banding artifacts. Most new displays and televisions can show HDR, but very few stills cameras capture the required bit depth natively.

  27. #77
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    It looks like you will need to wait at least one more generation for proper 10-bit 4:2:2 4K full frame, at least without using an external recorder. Maybe Panasonic will manage this with their rumoured FF camera?

    The next generation after that will be the Leica SL replacement, and the Sony A7s replacement. The current A7s is a video-only camera, with its 12MP sensor, so you have to pair it with a second A7 camera to do stills (and it needs a recorder to do 10-bit).

    The other options are the new Blackmagic Pocket 4K and the GH5, each with a Speed Booster adapter. Those will get you a "nearly full-frame" look, recorded on 4/3 sensors.

    Note: for those who don't know, you need at least 10-bit log recording (or better-yet RAW video) to shoot HDR. Shooting 8-bit for HDR leads to banding artifacts. Most new displays and televisions can show HDR, but very few stills cameras capture the required bit depth natively.
    The Sony A7S/SII still only do 8-bit to an external recorder but it's 4:2:2 8-bit which offers more malleability to color grading over the internal 4:2:0 8-bit... but not as much as the GH5/S. It does provide 4K without any crops which may or may not be a good thing depending on your own personal uses. In some respects, the A7III/A6500 may currently be the best Sony's for video as of today until the A7SIII is released due to the fact that they both do 6K->4K supersampling for improved IQ.

    In many respects though, the 2 year old GH5 is probably still the best overall photography camera today for doing 4K video on the market for a variety of reason - unless you depend on AF tracking performance. In that case the Sony (and maybe even the two newest Fuji cameras XH1/XT3) are possibly superior.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  28. #78
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    133
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post
    In many respects though, the 2 year old GH5 is probably still the best overall photography camera today for doing 4K video on the market for a variety of reason - unless you depend on AF tracking performance. In that case the Sony (and maybe even the two newest Fuji cameras XH1/XT3) are possibly superior.
    The Canon R should also be good for AF tracking.

    Realistically, if all of those things are important (10-bit, 4:2:2 colour, AF tracking), maybe it's time to consider a "proper" video camera. A C200 will AF track like it's nobody's business, and shoot RAW.
    Sony , Panasonic and BlackMagic also offer cine-quality video cameras for (almost) reasonable prices.

    You can also pick-up a used FS700 for the price of a FF DSLR and shoot 4K DCI RAW externally.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  29. #79
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    The Canon R should also be good for AF tracking.

    Realistically, if all of those things are important (10-bit, 4:2:2 colour, AF tracking), maybe it's time to consider a "proper" video camera. A C200 will AF track like it's nobody's business, and shoot RAW.
    Sony , Panasonic and BlackMagic also offer cine-quality video cameras for (almost) reasonable prices.

    You can also pick-up a used FS700 for the price of a FF DSLR and shoot 4K DCI RAW externally.
    I agree though many videographers dislike the large file sizes of the Canon RAW-L with the C200. I agree itís a great option for many as are the others you mention... you could also step up to a lightly used older model RED for the price of the many of the other cameras too.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  30. #80
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    4,259
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    Actually good news - future Canon EOS-R cameras may have sensor stabilisation ans 8K model is feasible

    https://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/can...future-models/

    I hope they bring the sensor stabilisation soon!

  31. #81
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    4,259
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    It could not be worse timing .... single SD card fails during Vlog test shoot ....

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_7g...&frags=pl%2Cwn

    What now Canon?
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  32. #82
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,825
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    Bad card?
    With best regards, K-H.

  33. #83
    Senior Member doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    749
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Actually good news - future Canon EOS-R cameras may have sensor stabilisation ans 8K model is feasible

    https://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/can...future-models/

    I hope they bring the sensor stabilisation soon!
    The lack of sensor stabilization and the relatively low resolution sensor (coming from the a7rII) limits the appeal of this camera but since this is a first-generation product I'll keep an eye on the system and any future developments.
    Last edited by doug; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:59.

  34. #84
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    4,259
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    [QUOTE=doug;766789]
    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Actually good news - future Canon EOS-R cameras may have sensor stabilisation ans 8K model is feasible

    https://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/can...future-models/

    I hope they bring the sensor stabilisation soon![/QUOTE

    The lack of sensor stabilization and the relatively low resolution sensor (coming from the a7rII) limits the appeal of this camera but since this is a first-generation product I'll keep an eye on the system and any future developments.
    Well, whenever the will happen ?!?

  35. #85
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    133
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    It could not be worse timing .... single SD card fails during Vlog test shoot ....
    That's one way to get clicks.
    I didn't watch it, but its hard not to be (a little) dubious of such coincidences.

    Time will tell if this is a real issue, or just one camera review trying to stand-out in a crowd.

    I have never had a card issue in almost 10+ years, but I tend to take reasonable precautions: buy high-quality cards from reputable suppliers, format in-camera, never do anything stupid while the write LED is flashing, replace cards regularly as they age (and faster bigger cards become available).
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  36. #86
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    That's one way to get clicks.
    I didn't watch it, but its hard not to be (a little) dubious of such coincidences.

    Time will tell if this is a real issue, or just one camera review trying to stand-out in a crowd.

    I have never had a card issue in almost 10+ years, but I tend to take reasonable precautions: buy high-quality cards from reputable suppliers, format in-camera, never do anything stupid while the write LED is flashing, replace cards regularly as they age (and faster bigger cards become available).
    I doubt they’d risk their future credibility for a few extra clicks - and then that would be counter to all the positives they spoke about the camera while recording.

    They were using a Lexar UHS-II card when it failed... so it COULD be the card. It usually is the card and not the camera that fails but that’s the idea behind having multiple card slots. I’ve never had a card fail either personally but it CAN happen and there’s little reason for there not to be 2 cards slots given the size and price of the camera.
    Last edited by iiiNelson; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:48.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  37. #87
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,825
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post
    Well they were using a Lexar UHS-II card when it failed. I’ve never had a card fail either personally but it CAN happen and there’s little reason for there not to be 2 cards slots given the size and price of the camera.
    Well the original Lexar UHS-II cards had a bug when used in an actual UHS-II slot. They wiped out my images and videos on my Olympus E-M1.2 and E-M5.2 when shooting video for an extended time. Those same cards had never caused a problem before when used in UHS-I slots in my Olympus or Sony cameras.

    The problem was with the cards not with the camera. I had to send in the cards to Micron as they stopped working at all. I think they updated their firmware and send back the same cards. From then on no further issues. It’s all documented on the web.

    AFAIK the Canon camera may be fine. Well that’s my guess. The reviewers probably used old cards.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  38. #88
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    A measured thought on the EOS R from Hugh Brownstone compared to other competition on the market.

    https://youtu.be/MIrrlFu5ynM
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  39. #89
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Well the original Lexar UHS-II cards had a bug when used in an actual UHS-II slot. They wiped out my images and videos on my Olympus E-M1.2 and E-M5.2 when shooting video for an extended time. Those same cards had never caused a problem when used in UHS-I slots in my Olympus or Sony cameras.

    The problem was with the cards not with the camera. I had to send in the cards to Micron. I think they updated their firmware and send back the same cards. From then on no further issues. Itís all documented on the web.

    AFAIK the Canon camera may be fine. Well thatís my guess. The reviewers probably used old cards.
    Perhaps. I have some of those same cards but most of my cards are SanDisk because that what Iíve had the best luck with. Iíve though about trying ProGrade Digital and AngelBird as well when they go on sale but most of me gravitate to SanDisk.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  40. #90
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,825
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post
    Perhaps. I have some of those same cards but most of my cards are SanDisk because that what I’ve had the best luck with. I’ve though about trying ProGrade Digital and AngelBird as well when they go on sale but most of me gravitate to SanDisk.
    My Leica M9 corrupted images on SanDisk cards.
    However the M9’s power management seemed to be the issue.
    Panasonic Gold cards were the solution as they had a special feature to shut the card down before the M9 could corrupt the card’s filesystem.
    With best regards, K-H.

  41. #91
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    My Leica M9 corrupted images on SanDisk cards.
    However the M9ís power management seemed to be the issue.
    Panasonic Gold cards were the solution as they had a special feature to shut the card down before the M9 could corrupt the cardís filesystem.
    Yeah there was a firmware update for the M9ís that solved the ďSanDisk issueĒ but outside of that I never had any issue with the cards from any digital camera I owned be it a Canon, Panasonic, Olympus, Leica, or Sony.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  42. #92
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,825
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post
    Yeah there was a firmware update for the M9ís that solved the ďSanDisk issueĒ but outside of that I never had any issue with the cards from any digital camera I owned be it a Canon, Panasonic, Olympus, Leica, or Sony.

    Thanks Tre. As I said SanDisk wasnít the culprit.
    I donít think Leica ever solved all their firmware problems of the M9.
    I still have the M9 and itís quirks.
    With best regards, K-H.

  43. #93
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Thanks Tre. As I said SanDisk wasn’t the culprit.
    I don’t think Leica ever solved all their firmware problems of the M9.
    I still have the M9 and it’s quirks.
    I think I only had issues with using the non SanDisk Extreme cards with the slower write times (that I used in my Panasonic’s) in the M9’s but both of mind have been sold 3+ years ago now so there’s that.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  44. #94
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    The long and short is that by most accounts the CaNikon entries to FF Mirrorless are good cameras with glaring shortcomings that most reviewers feel will need an accelerated body EOL within the next year or two. That replacement may come as a version 2 of the same camera model or a more upmarket version - which would mean a more expensive barrier to entry to obtain what many have long waited on.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  45. #95
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    133
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post
    The long and short is that by most accounts the CaNikon entries to FF Mirrorless are good cameras with glaring shortcomings
    I agree, although those shortcomings are relative to reviewer expectations more than anything.
    Reviewers wanted relatively inexpensive FF mirrorless cameras with all of the "pro" features. They got their price point, but they did not get all the features they wanted.

    The EOS R is priced between the 6DMarkII and 5DMarkIV, with features that also fall between the two. That seems like a fair deal, but a lot of people wanted the features of a 5D, at the price of a 6D.

  46. #96
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    I agree, although those shortcomings are relative to reviewer expectations more than anything.
    Reviewers wanted relatively inexpensive FF mirrorless cameras with all of the "pro" features. They got their price point, but they did not get all the features they wanted.

    The EOS R is priced between the 6DMarkII and 5DMarkIV, with features that also fall between the two. That seems like a fair deal, but a lot of people wanted the features of a 5D, at the price of a 6D.
    The glaring omission was more a reference to lack of dual card slots and not 100% matching or exceeding competition out the gate. The price and feature set I agree are largely fine and expected in a value body - which is always a give and take.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  47. #97
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    Well thereís a local event here this afternoon so Iím gonna try to swing by and test the camera out this afternoon. Itís been close to 4-5 years since Iíve had a Canon in my hands to shoot with but we will see how this goes.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  48. #98
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    Well I got my hands on today with everything that’s been announced this Faron’s overall I’d say there were some highs and unexpected lows.

    I’ll get to the good parts first. The L series lenses and adapters (particularly the filter one) are amazingly good. The 28-70 is really good and I didn’t expect to like it as much as I did. Those that don’t want a large lens will likely need to stay away from this one. It weighs about as much as a 70-200/2.8. The 50/1.2 is large but not too unwieldy. The 24-105 was good sized and noticeably sharper than the old version. The adapters worked well with the EF 50/1.2 and the 85/1.2 didn’t try it with anything else.

    Now for the unexpected gripe... I didn’t find the body to be comfortable to hold at all really. The height was right but the grip being straight didn’t make it feel super comfortable to hold with a lens attached. I also didn’t like the placement of the touchbar as I kept hitting it inadvertently. After talking to the rep he stated a common initial thought from testers has been that they miss the joystick initially but after getting comfortable with the touch bar they get used to it. He stated that Canon aimed to make this the most customizable camera they ever released but that also means there will likely be a pretty big initial learning curve. The 35 macro I thought I’d like better but it hunted a lot and was slow to focus. Also the Eye AF isn’t up to the level of accuracy or speed of Sony at this point. It works technically but it missed focused the first few times even with focus confirmation turning green. The larger issue if you will (that may be able to be improved through firmware) is the lack of speed with Eye AF. In general though, the camera is really quick to AF in normal shooting.

    All in all it’s a decent first attempt but not one for me really at this point. The best thing about the system so is easily the L lenses and they’re really good. It’ll be interesting to see what they do on telephoto lenses. Oh yeah and these were advertised as production models of everything except the filter adapter. They still didn’t have the firmware update for continuous silent shooting or continuous eye AF but it’s supposed to be released around the time the cameras begin to ship in October.
    Last edited by iiiNelson; 3 Weeks Ago at 16:18.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  49. #99
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    4,259
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    This is a great and fun review of the EOS R and lenses - I like this guy ....

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj7Fm68evbU

    But I still would not go Canon

  50. #100
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon FF Mirrorless

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    This is a great and fun review of the EOS R and lenses - I like this guy ....

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj7Fm68evbU

    But I still would not go Canon
    Yeah I’ve watched a lot of his reviews in the past... I’m not for the name calling that some people use towards him but I’m wary of a lot of opinions after testing a camera for myself. Personally I thought I’d like the camera more than I did before I tried it and I shot Canon for about 5 years exclusively before moving to Micro 4/3.

    I saw the Tony Northrup review as well and he said it was a toss up between the A7III and the EOS R despite the Sony winning most every head to head performance standard you’d rate a camera by... it was a head scratcher for me and reminded me of the DPReview Panasonic G9 review when compared the the Olympus. Outperformed the Olympus at everything but somehow the Olympus was the “better” camera.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •