The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon FF Mirrorless

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Maybe they’re holding onto the notion that in-lens stabilization is better.
Wrong in these times - one actually should be able to use both!

Unfortunately I cannot see on these photos if their lenses offer IS - looks like rather not so that would mean NO stabilisation ....

Another thought is that maybe they bring the digital stabilisation found in some of their newer DSLRs (e.g. 6Dm2) and maybe they even increased perfection so it is adequate to IBIS - but honestly I doubt that would be the case.

iiiNelson

Wrong in these times - one actually should be able to use both!

Unfortunately I cannot see on these photos if their lenses offer IS - looks like rather not so that would mean NO stabilisation ....

Another thought is that maybe they bring the digital stabilisation found in some of their newer DSLRs (e.g. 6Dm2) and maybe they even increased perfection so it is adequate to IBIS - but honestly I doubt that would be the case.
Youre not gonna get a disagreement from me on those points. I’m just stating what was Canon’s old response to IBIS even though cameras like Pentax and Sony had IBIS (though not 5 axis) in their DSLR styled cameras for over 10 years now.

pegelli

Looking forward to them, suddenly the choices are 4 FF mirrorless brands rather than just one :thumbup:

The 35 and 24-105 have "IS" in their lens codes so might be stabilised, the 50 and 28-70 don't show that code.

Btw, the 24-105 looks "tiny" compared too the 28-70, but the pictures are not the same scale, you can see that comparing the lens mounts

rayyan

For a moment I was enthusiastic.

But on reading the ‘ full ‘ specs on a rumor site...meh :thumbdown:

:wtf:

iiiNelson

Yeah big misses for Canon on that part but maybe there are other bodies they’ll announce that haven’t leaked. As it stands Sony is inna good place if all they have to do is release a slightly larger body with better sealing to make ergonomics “equal.” Feature for feature there isn’t anything they really hold above what Sony has on the market for the last 6-18 months.

Other than that looks like a good camera with good lenses to start with.

Hulyss Bowman

The specifications of this camera looks very good. I am planning to go canon (at my biggest surprise), the Nikon offer do not excite me at all, especially the lenses (and the time we need to wait to have some intelligent line up).

The 28-70 f2 and the 50f1.2, with AF ??? Seriouselly, now we are talking. Those are L lenses with L finition and quality, not f1.8 kit or a manual mamoth priced f0.95 lense.

Here is the product specifications PDF :

https://www.hulyssbowman.com/tempo/void/CANON EOS-R.pdf

k-hawinkler

Yeah big misses for Canon on that part but maybe there are other bodies they’ll announce that haven’t leaked. As it stands Sony is inna good place if all they have to do is release a slightly larger body with better sealing to make ergonomics “equal.” Feature for feature there isn’t anything they really hold above what Sony has on the market for the last 6-18 months.

Other than that looks like a good camera with good lenses to start with.
Tre, for me my A9 is fine as is. :clap:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The biggest down turn of the Canon FF mirrorless is the lack of IBIS - how can they dream to come up with such a camera (which is not too bad in all the other areas) does lack this feature that became state of the art in modern camera construction.

retow

The biggest down turn of the Canon FF mirrorless is the lack of IBIS - how can they dream to come up with such a camera (which is not too bad in all the other areas) does lack this feature that became state of the art in modern camera construction.
State of the art? I don't think so. For larger than mft sensors Fuji very recently introduced it and the only FF milc with IBIS is from Sony. Rest assured that its ibis is a far cry from what best in class mft ibis can do these days. (yes, I know what I'm talking about had the EM1.2, which my daughter now "permanently borrowed" and myself I am using an A7rIII). Those upgrading from mft to FF should get used (again) to think about shutter speed and daily caffeine dose😬🤓

ptomsu

Workshop Member
State of the art? I don't think so. For larger than mft sensors Fuji very recently introduced it and the only FF milc with IBIS is from Sony. Rest assured that its ibis is a far cry from what best in class mft ibis can do these days. (yes, I know what I'm talking about had the EM1.2, which my daughter now "permanently borrowed" and myself I am using an A7rIII). Those upgrading from mft to FF should get used (again) to think about shutter speed and daily caffeine dose😬🤓
Got you and great info. Although I hope the Nikon IBIS is already better than that of Sony.

iiiNelson

I agree that IBIS isnt as effective on larger sensors as it is on smaller sensors for obvious reasons but even still a combination of OIS and IBIS is better than not having either... this is especially true with higher megapixels. What IBIS doesn’t do is fully solve poor shooting techniques that become more pronounced with larger sensors, higher resolution sensors, and/or slower shutter speeds. Sometimes you will just need the faster shutter speed to freeze motion and at those speeds stabilization becomes more of a moot point though not completely without some value.

rayyan

With the published specs of all new MILC offerings, I have to say, for my use,
Fuji got it mostly right. And Sony currently look well placed.

Canon...this iteration is not something I would even consider. But they do have the muscle and the established user n lens base. That might be enough.

I was, maybe naively, expecting more from Canon.

No Ibis, No dual card slots. Sep 2018.

k-hawinkler

I agree that IBIS isnt as effective on larger sensors as it is on smaller sensors for obvious reasons but even still a combination of OIS and IBIS is better than not having either... this is especially true with higher megapixels. What IBIS doesn’t do is fully solve poor shooting techniques that become more pronounced with larger sensors, higher resolution sensors, and/or slower shutter speeds. Sometimes you will just need the faster shutter speed to freeze motion and at those speeds stabilization becomes more of a moot point though not completely without some value.

Any proof!

iiiNelson

With the published specs of all new MILC offerings, I have to say, for my use,
Fuji got it mostly right. And Sony currently look well placed.

Canon...this iteration is not something I would even consider. But they do have the muscle and the established user n lens base. That might be enough.

I was, maybe naively, expecting more from Canon.

No Ibis, No dual card slots. Sep 2018.
Me too.

I was expecting more from a Canon but at least they have a good starting place for lenses, proven video features, extremely large user base that is committed to them mostly, and dual pixel AF.

iiiNelson

Any proof!
Just side by side comparison of comparing GH5 video to XH1 video to A7SII video. They all work and they all stabilize video but clearly the smaller sensors seem to be more effective and smooth today but it seems to be basic physics of having to travel more distance faster and smoother to stabilize... maybe the tech just hasn’t caught up yet with bigger sensors though.