The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon FF Mirrorless

Knorp

Good luck to all of you buying and using the new gear by whomever!
Have at it and fun. It may get a bit more quiet in the Sony images threads.

We had over the long weekend family visiting, a son, wife, and grandkids.
Used A9, TAP, Noct-Nikkor 58/1.2 and Summilux-R 80/1.4 when I was shooting.
The FE 55/1.8 did the job when I handed the A9 to family members.
All images shot successfully with Eye-AF.

Of course, the adults have late model iPhones as well.
Works for me. :thumbs: :salute:
We’ll make you change your mind, K-H ... :LOL:

Pradeep

I am very happy for the Canon folk here and being an 'ex' myself, happy for the company too.

It is a great time for us all, competition is always healthy. I just feel that Canon has neglected the sensor aspect of its cameras for a bit too long though. The lens lineup is definitely great.

Will be interesting to see what Sony comes up with in the next lot.

retow

Entertaining times. Depending on the forum I visit I read: Canon is dead, Nikon won't make it, Fuji has no future, mft will disappear. And all the Chuck Norris of camera testing have their real life reviews out even before manufacturers have made one single unit of a rumored new product.
Entertaining times, for sure. Beer and Chips please 😜🤣

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
All I’ll add as someone who has no skin in the Canon game (well, other than their TSE lenses I use on my Phase & GFX Cameras) is that this is a great time for photographers. Sony is pathfinding, Fuji is covering a wide range of solutions including 35mm and GF, Olympus has great smaller sensor solutions and now Nikon and Canon are entering the market of the mirrorless future (even if arguably from behind). How great is that? Innovation is the natural result of competition. That’s always good for everybody.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Entertaining times. Depending on the forum I visit I read: Canon is dead, Nikon won't make it, Fuji has no future, mft will disappear. And all the Chuck Norris of camera testing have their real life reviews out even before manufacturers have made one single unit of a rumored new product.
Entertaining times, for sure. Beer and Chips please 😜🤣
:ROTFL::ROTFL::thumbs: Let’s boycott the YouTube whores Tony & Chelsea, Fro knows photo, Matt Granger and all the other click bait vendors.

V

Vivek

One correction. It is Panasonic that was the pathfinder. Samsung pushed Sony into the game and they got in in a hurry without thinking through a proper lens mount. The motivator Samsung was pushed out. Let us hope Canon, Nikon and Panasonic drive Sony to be better.

All I’ll add as someone who has no skin in the Canon game (well, other than their TSE lenses I use on my Phase & GFX Cameras) is that this is a great time for photographers. Sony is pathfinding, Fuji is covering a wide range of solutions including 35mm and GF, Olympus has great smaller sensor solutions and now Nikon and Canon are entering the market of the mirrorless future (even if arguably from behind). How great is that? Innovation is the natural result of competition. That’s always good for everybody.

DougDolde

This thing needs wide angle primes not zooms ! Keep it light. I'd like to see a 28mm, 20mm at least

iiiNelson

This thing needs wide angle primes not zooms ! Keep it light. I'd like to see a 28mm, 20mm at least
Zooms are probably he easy obvious choice for a new system to cover general photographic ranges. A part of me would’ve preferred Nikon to introduce an updated 24-120 for the Z system. It would’ve been more useful than a 24-70 since neither will likely have any true native midrange telephoto options until next year some time.

Bernard

I do not want to pay for a FF camera and carry around FF (big and heavy) lenses when I am only getting out APSC functionality for some important things like 4k!

Is unfortunately a NO GO for me and not debatable.
It looks like you will need to wait at least one more generation for proper 10-bit 4:2:2 4K full frame, at least without using an external recorder. Maybe Panasonic will manage this with their rumoured FF camera?

The next generation after that will be the Leica SL replacement, and the Sony A7s replacement. The current A7s is a video-only camera, with its 12MP sensor, so you have to pair it with a second A7 camera to do stills (and it needs a recorder to do 10-bit).

The other options are the new Blackmagic Pocket 4K and the GH5, each with a Speed Booster adapter. Those will get you a "nearly full-frame" look, recorded on 4/3 sensors.

Note: for those who don't know, you need at least 10-bit log recording (or better-yet RAW video) to shoot HDR. Shooting 8-bit for HDR leads to banding artifacts. Most new displays and televisions can show HDR, but very few stills cameras capture the required bit depth natively.

iiiNelson

It looks like you will need to wait at least one more generation for proper 10-bit 4:2:2 4K full frame, at least without using an external recorder. Maybe Panasonic will manage this with their rumoured FF camera?

The next generation after that will be the Leica SL replacement, and the Sony A7s replacement. The current A7s is a video-only camera, with its 12MP sensor, so you have to pair it with a second A7 camera to do stills (and it needs a recorder to do 10-bit).

The other options are the new Blackmagic Pocket 4K and the GH5, each with a Speed Booster adapter. Those will get you a "nearly full-frame" look, recorded on 4/3 sensors.

Note: for those who don't know, you need at least 10-bit log recording (or better-yet RAW video) to shoot HDR. Shooting 8-bit for HDR leads to banding artifacts. Most new displays and televisions can show HDR, but very few stills cameras capture the required bit depth natively.
The Sony A7S/SII still only do 8-bit to an external recorder but it's 4:2:2 8-bit which offers more malleability to color grading over the internal 4:2:0 8-bit... but not as much as the GH5/S. It does provide 4K without any crops which may or may not be a good thing depending on your own personal uses. In some respects, the A7III/A6500 may currently be the best Sony's for video as of today until the A7SIII is released due to the fact that they both do 6K->4K supersampling for improved IQ.

In many respects though, the 2 year old GH5 is probably still the best overall photography camera today for doing 4K video on the market for a variety of reason - unless you depend on AF tracking performance. In that case the Sony (and maybe even the two newest Fuji cameras XH1/XT3) are possibly superior.

Bernard

In many respects though, the 2 year old GH5 is probably still the best overall photography camera today for doing 4K video on the market for a variety of reason - unless you depend on AF tracking performance. In that case the Sony (and maybe even the two newest Fuji cameras XH1/XT3) are possibly superior.
The Canon R should also be good for AF tracking.

Realistically, if all of those things are important (10-bit, 4:2:2 colour, AF tracking), maybe it's time to consider a "proper" video camera. A C200 will AF track like it's nobody's business, and shoot RAW.
Sony , Panasonic and BlackMagic also offer cine-quality video cameras for (almost) reasonable prices.

You can also pick-up a used FS700 for the price of a FF DSLR and shoot 4K DCI RAW externally.

iiiNelson

The Canon R should also be good for AF tracking.

Realistically, if all of those things are important (10-bit, 4:2:2 colour, AF tracking), maybe it's time to consider a "proper" video camera. A C200 will AF track like it's nobody's business, and shoot RAW.
Sony , Panasonic and BlackMagic also offer cine-quality video cameras for (almost) reasonable prices.

You can also pick-up a used FS700 for the price of a FF DSLR and shoot 4K DCI RAW externally.
I agree though many videographers dislike the large file sizes of the Canon RAW-L with the C200. I agree it’s a great option for many as are the others you mention... you could also step up to a lightly used older model RED for the price of the many of the other cameras too.