The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon FF Mirrorless

doug

Actually good news - future Canon EOS-R cameras may have sensor stabilisation ans 8K model is feasible

https://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/ca...ing-on-sensor-stabilization-in-future-models/

I hope they bring the sensor stabilisation soon!
The lack of sensor stabilization and the relatively low resolution sensor (coming from the a7rII) limits the appeal of this camera but since this is a first-generation product I'll keep an eye on the system and any future developments.

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Actually good news - future Canon EOS-R cameras may have sensor stabilisation ans 8K model is feasible

https://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/ca...ing-on-sensor-stabilization-in-future-models/

I hope they bring the sensor stabilisation soon![/QUOTE

The lack of sensor stabilization and the relatively low resolution sensor (coming from the a7rII) limits the appeal of this camera but since this is a first-generation product I'll keep an eye on the system and any future developments.
Well, whenever the will happen ?!?

Bernard

It could not be worse timing .... single SD card fails during Vlog test shoot ....
That's one way to get clicks.
I didn't watch it, but its hard not to be (a little) dubious of such coincidences.

Time will tell if this is a real issue, or just one camera review trying to stand-out in a crowd.

I have never had a card issue in almost 10+ years, but I tend to take reasonable precautions: buy high-quality cards from reputable suppliers, format in-camera, never do anything stupid while the write LED is flashing, replace cards regularly as they age (and faster bigger cards become available).

iiiNelson

That's one way to get clicks.
I didn't watch it, but its hard not to be (a little) dubious of such coincidences.

Time will tell if this is a real issue, or just one camera review trying to stand-out in a crowd.

I have never had a card issue in almost 10+ years, but I tend to take reasonable precautions: buy high-quality cards from reputable suppliers, format in-camera, never do anything stupid while the write LED is flashing, replace cards regularly as they age (and faster bigger cards become available).
I doubt they’d risk their future credibility for a few extra clicks - and then that would be counter to all the positives they spoke about the camera while recording.

They were using a Lexar UHS-II card when it failed... so it COULD be the card. It usually is the card and not the camera that fails but that’s the idea behind having multiple card slots. I’ve never had a card fail either personally but it CAN happen and there’s little reason for there not to be 2 cards slots given the size and price of the camera.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Well they were using a Lexar UHS-II card when it failed. I’ve never had a card fail either personally but it CAN happen and there’s little reason for there not to be 2 cards slots given the size and price of the camera.
Well the original Lexar UHS-II cards had a bug when used in an actual UHS-II slot. They wiped out my images and videos on my Olympus E-M1.2 and E-M5.2 when shooting video for an extended time. Those same cards had never caused a problem before when used in UHS-I slots in my Olympus or Sony cameras.

The problem was with the cards not with the camera. I had to send in the cards to Micron as they stopped working at all. I think they updated their firmware and send back the same cards. From then on no further issues. It’s all documented on the web.

AFAIK the Canon camera may be fine. Well that’s my guess. The reviewers probably used old cards. :banghead:

iiiNelson

Well the original Lexar UHS-II cards had a bug when used in an actual UHS-II slot. They wiped out my images and videos on my Olympus E-M1.2 and E-M5.2 when shooting video for an extended time. Those same cards had never caused a problem when used in UHS-I slots in my Olympus or Sony cameras.

The problem was with the cards not with the camera. I had to send in the cards to Micron. I think they updated their firmware and send back the same cards. From then on no further issues. It’s all documented on the web.

AFAIK the Canon camera may be fine. Well that’s my guess. The reviewers probably used old cards. :banghead:
Perhaps. I have some of those same cards but most of my cards are SanDisk because that what I’ve had the best luck with. I’ve though about trying ProGrade Digital and AngelBird as well when they go on sale but most of me gravitate to SanDisk.

k-hawinkler

Perhaps. I have some of those same cards but most of my cards are SanDisk because that what I’ve had the best luck with. I’ve though about trying ProGrade Digital and AngelBird as well when they go on sale but most of me gravitate to SanDisk.
My Leica M9 corrupted images on SanDisk cards.
However the M9’s power management seemed to be the issue.
Panasonic Gold cards were the solution as they had a special feature to shut the card down before the M9 could corrupt the card’s filesystem.

iiiNelson

My Leica M9 corrupted images on SanDisk cards.
However the M9’s power management seemed to be the issue.
Panasonic Gold cards were the solution as they had a special feature to shut the card down before the M9 could corrupt the card’s filesystem.
Yeah there was a firmware update for the M9’s that solved the “SanDisk issue” but outside of that I never had any issue with the cards from any digital camera I owned be it a Canon, Panasonic, Olympus, Leica, or Sony.

k-hawinkler

Yeah there was a firmware update for the M9’s that solved the “SanDisk issue” but outside of that I never had any issue with the cards from any digital camera I owned be it a Canon, Panasonic, Olympus, Leica, or Sony.

Thanks Tre. As I said SanDisk wasn’t the culprit.
I don’t think Leica ever solved all their firmware problems of the M9.
I still have the M9 and it’s quirks.

iiiNelson

Thanks Tre. As I said SanDisk wasn’t the culprit.
I don’t think Leica ever solved all their firmware problems of the M9.
I still have the M9 and it’s quirks.
I think I only had issues with using the non SanDisk Extreme cards with the slower write times (that I used in my Panasonic’s) in the M9’s but both of mind have been sold 3+ years ago now so there’s that.

iiiNelson

The long and short is that by most accounts the CaNikon entries to FF Mirrorless are good cameras with glaring shortcomings that most reviewers feel will need an accelerated body EOL within the next year or two. That replacement may come as a version 2 of the same camera model or a more upmarket version - which would mean a more expensive barrier to entry to obtain what many have long waited on.

Bernard

The long and short is that by most accounts the CaNikon entries to FF Mirrorless are good cameras with glaring shortcomings
I agree, although those shortcomings are relative to reviewer expectations more than anything.
Reviewers wanted relatively inexpensive FF mirrorless cameras with all of the "pro" features. They got their price point, but they did not get all the features they wanted.

The EOS R is priced between the 6DMarkII and 5DMarkIV, with features that also fall between the two. That seems like a fair deal, but a lot of people wanted the features of a 5D, at the price of a 6D.

iiiNelson

I agree, although those shortcomings are relative to reviewer expectations more than anything.
Reviewers wanted relatively inexpensive FF mirrorless cameras with all of the "pro" features. They got their price point, but they did not get all the features they wanted.

The EOS R is priced between the 6DMarkII and 5DMarkIV, with features that also fall between the two. That seems like a fair deal, but a lot of people wanted the features of a 5D, at the price of a 6D.
The glaring omission was more a reference to lack of dual card slots and not 100% matching or exceeding competition out the gate. The price and feature set I agree are largely fine and expected in a value body - which is always a give and take.

iiiNelson

Well there’s a local event here this afternoon so I’m gonna try to swing by and test the camera out this afternoon. It’s been close to 4-5 years since I’ve had a Canon in my hands to shoot with but we will see how this goes.

iiiNelson

Well I got my hands on today with everything that’s been announced this Faron’s overall I’d say there were some highs and unexpected lows.

I’ll get to the good parts first. The L series lenses and adapters (particularly the filter one) are amazingly good. The 28-70 is really good and I didn’t expect to like it as much as I did. Those that don’t want a large lens will likely need to stay away from this one. It weighs about as much as a 70-200/2.8. The 50/1.2 is large but not too unwieldy. The 24-105 was good sized and noticeably sharper than the old version. The adapters worked well with the EF 50/1.2 and the 85/1.2 didn’t try it with anything else.

Now for the unexpected gripe... I didn’t find the body to be comfortable to hold at all really. The height was right but the grip being straight didn’t make it feel super comfortable to hold with a lens attached. I also didn’t like the placement of the touchbar as I kept hitting it inadvertently. After talking to the rep he stated a common initial thought from testers has been that they miss the joystick initially but after getting comfortable with the touch bar they get used to it. He stated that Canon aimed to make this the most customizable camera they ever released but that also means there will likely be a pretty big initial learning curve. The 35 macro I thought I’d like better but it hunted a lot and was slow to focus. Also the Eye AF isn’t up to the level of accuracy or speed of Sony at this point. It works technically but it missed focused the first few times even with focus confirmation turning green. The larger issue if you will (that may be able to be improved through firmware) is the lack of speed with Eye AF. In general though, the camera is really quick to AF in normal shooting.

All in all it’s a decent first attempt but not one for me really at this point. The best thing about the system so is easily the L lenses and they’re really good. It’ll be interesting to see what they do on telephoto lenses. Oh yeah and these were advertised as production models of everything except the filter adapter. They still didn’t have the firmware update for continuous silent shooting or continuous eye AF but it’s supposed to be released around the time the cameras begin to ship in October.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

This is a great and fun review of the EOS R and lenses - I like this guy ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj7Fm68evbU

But I still would not go Canon :cool:
Yeah I’ve watched a lot of his reviews in the past... I’m not for the name calling that some people use towards him but I’m wary of a lot of opinions after testing a camera for myself. Personally I thought I’d like the camera more than I did before I tried it and I shot Canon for about 5 years exclusively before moving to Micro 4/3.

I saw the Tony Northrup review as well and he said it was a toss up between the A7III and the EOS R despite the Sony winning most every head to head performance standard you’d rate a camera by... it was a head scratcher for me and reminded me of the DPReview Panasonic G9 review when compared the the Olympus. Outperformed the Olympus at everything but somehow the Olympus was the “better” camera.

V

Vivek

Eos R is outselling the Nikon Z7, 2:1!

Looks like Canon’s new lenses are very well thought out! :thumbs: