The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon FF Mirrorless

ptomsu

Workshop Member
According to Canon and Cameraegg, Canon is concentrating intensively on a FF mirrorless camera ....

Canon Full Frame Mirrorless Camera Prototype Exist, Coming Late 2018 to 2019 ? | Camera News at Cameraegg

Which is excellent news. I think it will host all new mirrorless lenses for a new mount but I am confident that it will also support existing EF-mount lenses via an adapter - something which I would offer if I were in charge for that new product line. This way existing Canon DSLR users can continue with a mirrorless FF body and as lenses for the newer mount become available (hopefully a tiny bit smaller and less heavy) switch to this new lens lineup.

I do hope that Nikon is going the same path - according to rumours they are!

Great for all us photographers as we have more choices than Sony and Leica as soon as it comes to FF mirrorless :cool:

iiiNelson

Maybe it’s me but I think it makes more sense for Canon and Nikon to go Medium Format and have their mirrorless systems compete in that space for a compliment to their DSLR systems. Frankly that space is wide open for the taking without trying too hard as evident by the early success of Fujifilm and Hasselblad. I don’t know what their exact market share is but their arrival is definitely driving the price of Medium Format down to “barely attainable without financing” levels for many photographers.

I still believe software sales is the gift that would keep on giving for Phase One if they changed their Capture One non-compete policy. IMO Phase One is missing/missed the opportunity to maximize their profit margin by locking out competing MF systems and generating a level of negative press towards themselves that would otherwise be highly positive. Now most will never buy anything but software from Phase One. Their prices assure people of that but software sales and the perception of not wasting money on software that won’t work with all of the cameras a person may decide to own is a factor when people are spending upwards of $300. Now we will see how companies like Skylum, On1, DXO, etc evolve from people simply fed up with Adobe that want a decent Lightroom/Photoshop alternative.

V

Vivek

Agree :)

I am now suspecting that Sony gave the IBIS to Nikon to boost them a bit.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
They seem to be releasing a 28-70mm f/2 as well. It's probably a beast, but add a 21mm and a 135mm and no other lenses are really needed. Big lens mount like Nikon. 49% market share as a starting point. Probably great functionality with all 100 million+ EOS lenses. They'll wipe the floor with most of the competition.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Lenses! :thumbs:

What a statement there! :thumbs:

The adapters also look very well thought out. fabulous that they also have one with a drop in filter slot! :thumbs:

IBIS, second card slot can be overlooked because it has a swivel LCD that Sony/ Nikon refuse to implement.

I really want one! :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
More rumored info

https://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/first-leaked-pictures-of-the-new-canon-eos-r-and-lenses/

Looks like a Mirrorless 5Dmk4 but suspiciously missing is a 2nd card slot and IBIS... :wtf:

What’s most impressive is -6EV AF ability IMO. This may become THE event shooter platform of choice in time.
Any full frame camera with a 28-70mm f/2 would be a event and wedding photographers choice :wtf:

Add a 21mm, like the good old Zeiss and Canon's excellent 135mm f/2 and I would be ready for the world. I'll be very interested in seeing how that zoom performs wide open. Yup, it's probably 1,500g or more, but it replaces 3 primes if it's good.

Oh, and two card slots is soooo 2017 :ROTFL:

V

Vivek

Get a back up camera if you are a pro or a sserious photographer. Those going with a single camera for a time bound assignment should educate themslves.

iiiNelson

Any full frame camera with a 28-70mm f/2 would be a event and wedding photographers choice :wtf:

Add a 21mm, like the good old Zeiss and Canon's excellent 135mm f/2 and I would be ready for the world. I'll be very interested in seeing how that zoom performs wide open. Yup, it's probably 1,500g or more, but it replaces 3 primes if it's good.

Oh, and two card slots is soooo 2017 :ROTFL:
The obvious choice might actually be the 24-105/4 and 50/1.2. Well I could get by with those and eventually add telephoto options down the line... well if I were to switch.

V

Vivek

Agree but you can not deny that the f/2 zoom is the most attractive of the offerings!

iiiNelson

Lenses! :thumbs:

What a statement there! :thumbs:

The adapters also look very well thought out. fabulous that they also have one with a drop in filter slot! :thumbs:

IBIS, second card slot can be overlooked because it has a swivel LCD that Sony/ Nikon refuse to implement.

I really want one! :)
I agree these are great lenses to start with.

Personally I prefer the non-swiveling screens myself but I understand some like fully articulating ones. I think a great solution/compromise would be the screen that Sony has for the A77/A99 Cameras that could do either (but Sony deemed/claimed was too complicated for the FE bodies). I don’t know that I’d want to overlook IBIS personally and dual cards slots matter more to pros than the average person BUT more cameras are including them in midrange cameras these days so it’s best to just include it from a marketing standpoint.

iiiNelson

Agree but you can not deny that the f/2 zoom is the most attractive of the offerings!
I loathe 28mm (and I’m not wild about mid range zooms in general) so unless they release a wider zoom (and a telephoto equivalent like a 70-150) at f/2 then it’s a lost focal range on me personally.

To me the updated 50/1.2 is the most attractive of the offerings and the 24-105 is second for me.

V

Vivek

I think a great solution/compromise would be the screen that Sony has for the A77/A99 Cameras that could do either (but Sony deemed/claimed was too complicated for the FE bodies).
I say, THANK YOU, Canon! Yes, it is possible.

Sony claimed a lot of false things in the past. Prime example is that BSI sensors offer NO advantage when it comes to large pixel sensors. It was a lie.