The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Posted my write up of the Canon 35L...

RAM

Steve,
This is my first post on this forum. Great write up as usual, and I realy enjoyed looking at your web site/reviews.

Like many I am wavering between the D700 and 5D MKll (but really want but can not afford an M8 at this time, so you can imagine the IQ I would like). I have not seen actual real life printed images of either the Canon or Nikon, they both look teriffic on the monitor, so it is impossible to determine print IQ on that basis. (The 5D is not even in shelf stock in my area). I typically print between 19x16 and 30x20 and want to get the best available for landscape and general photography use. I am thinking 5D MKll with 35L vs D700 with ZF 25 as an M8 substitute. I do not have a DSLR at the moment and have no bias at all between the two companies.

I do not want to fall into the pixel trap, but the hoopla around the 5D seems to indicate they may have given us the best of both worlds - more detail with reasonably comparable ISO performance etc to Nikon, especially with the L lenses, with little or no downside. I simply can not get a handle on how much more detail (if any) can be seen on a 20x16 or 30x20 print between 12 and 21 pixels. Assuming similar pricessing/printing etc, is the difference all that obvious?

As you have used/owned the D700 and 5d MKll, I would be very interested in how do you rate both with regard to their print IQ for general/landscape/non-sports use using "L" lens and Zeiss on the Nikon?

Other imput from members would also be welcome. I would also klike to take the opportunity to let the other members know how much I enjoy reading this site - what a pleasure to see pictures and hear views from all over the world, with no one bashing one make or the other. Nirvana!

Thanks for your input, its much appreciated.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Welcome to the forum and let me just add you made my day to start off very nicely and with a smile. Thanks Guy

Also thanks Cindy for sending me this post . Love this place

dseelig

You really have to get to handle both cameras. For your purposes I might lean to the canon as it is smaller and lighter for hikng around with. If you were shooting sports I would tell you the opposite and get a nikon as it is more responsive camera and has better frame rates.

RAM

That was my first inpression as well. But when I compared overall weights with 25 ZF and 35L, there was not that much of a difference due to the weight of the L lens. I have handeled the 50D which I know is not exactly the same, and although I prefer the Nikon, I don't have any issues that would prevent me from using either body. Wish both were lighter/smaller - that is one factor that has kept me from joining the digital revlolution.

That aside, I have read that the Canon is not as weatherproof or sealed as well as the Nikon, but I am assuming this is not an issue for most and that the Canon is pretty much as robust as one would need for most outdoor activities?