Re: The End

As with the Leica M7.

Welcome Tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm not a collector, but when it comes to the last, greatest film models, I'm tempted to buy the most important ones. I already have the F6. Others would be the 1V, the M7 (MP is not for me, no aperture priority, I struggle with the OM-3), the RTS III, the R9.... the Dynax 9?

Yes, I would use them. I would only need one lens for each

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I didn't realize that Canon was still making the EOS-1v. It's only a casual wish that I won't spend real money on but I wish I had used the higher end late model Canon film bodies when they had a clear advantage with AF lenses.

I'm a Nikon guy but my impression of Canon was soured because their lower end consumer equipment seemed shoddy compared to the better quality of Nikon's consumer offerings. But every time I picked up a pro Canon I was impressed, but a bit confused and gun-shy.

I can tell you that a $50 Nikon N80 with a $100 50/1.8D makes an awesome 35mm shooter that nails focus and exposure far more than any of the pure mechanical classic cameras I've owned. A $200 F100 and a better lens does even better.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frankly View Post
    I didn't realize that Canon was still making the EOS-1v. It's only a casual wish that I won't spend real money on but I wish I had used the higher end late model Canon film bodies when they had a clear advantage with AF lenses.

I'm a Nikon guy but my impression of Canon was soured because their lower end consumer equipment seemed shoddy compared to the better quality of Nikon's consumer offerings. But every time I picked up a pro Canon I was impressed, but a bit confused and gun-shy.

I can tell you that a $50 Nikon N80 with a $100 50/1.8D makes an awesome 35mm shooter that nails focus and exposure far more than any of the pure mechanical classic cameras I've owned. A $200 F100 and a better lens does even better.
    I actually have a new-in-box F80 (same as the N80) that I bought some 10 years ago. If I had any brain, I'd sell the F6 and use the F80 instead. It does what it's supposed to do, it's smaller and lighter and it has a battery grip that takes AA-batteries. The AA grip for the F6 still costs 2-4 times the $100 I paid for the F80 with the grip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I actually have a new-in-box F80 (same as the N80) that I bought some 10 years ago. If I had any brain, I'd sell the F6 and use the F80 instead. It does what it's supposed to do, it's smaller and lighter and it has a battery grip that takes AA-batteries. The AA grip for the F6 still costs 2-4 times the $100 I paid for the F80 with the grip.
    The only downside of the N80 F80 is a dimmer prism than the more expensive bodies. If you didn't compare them you'd probably never realize.

The frustration I've had with the N80 and F100 is that if only they were 5% better they'd be perfect! Which makes me think a F6 would be really nice to try next, in spite of the price.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frankly View Post
    I didn't realize that Canon was still making the EOS-1v....
    Most likely, they weren't. By all appearances they've been selling off new-old stock for years now.

There have been occasional reports, though none recently, about Nikon continuing to assemble very small batches of the F6 in Sendai. But I've never seen any similar stories about the 1v.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Most likely, they weren't. By all appearances they've been selling off new-old stock for years now.

There have been occasional reports, though none recently, about Nikon continuing to assemble very small batches of the F6 in Sendai. But I've never seen any similar stories about the 1v.
    I think you are right about the 1V. As for the F6, there was an article in some magazine just a few years ago about Nikon's shortest production line, where two employees make one F6 each per week. I hope that will last. This uniqueness of the F6 is one of the reasons why I keep mine and use it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The End Is Nigh

the end is nigh [a501_0000]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

makes you wonder, who actually still bought those over the last 5-10 years...