The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question about 180 3.4 APO-telyt-R on the 5D.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Is there any reason other than the E60 filter 2-cam to be considered over the earlier 1 cam with the Series 7.5 filters?

Who's making the best focus confirmation adapter for R to EOS?

I've been using HappypageHK for my Zeiss and Zuikos but he doesn't see to have any R to EOS or eBay's new search engine is doing bad things.

robmac

No reason to prefer 2-cam vs 1 cam (IQ wise)

Rudolph at HPgHK makes great R-EoS FC adapters (all I ever use - the best by far), if none listed means none in stock. Just email when what you want and he'll put you on list to get one when new batch in - never takes long.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
No difference in lens formula for the two lenses. I have had both and believe everything is exactly the same except the size of the filter ring . I think the first version is really 2 cam as it came out after the R series was launched..and the 60 came in a 2cam and later a ROM version. This is from memory?

I used this lens on a 5D with one of the earlier adapters (before the focus confirmation chips) from Cameraquest . You can see the difference over say the Canon 70-200/2.8 L right away. The color saturation and contrast are still very similar to the best R APO glass. The lens was originally developed by Leica Canada for the US Navy

Two weaknesses you should be aware of:

1. Focusing especially at less than 20-30ft is very slow. This lens is difficult to use for "head hunting" shots . This is why many went to the 180/2.8 APO which has exceptionally light and fast focusing.

2. Performance is optimized for infinity. This makes the lens stunning for travel,landscape etc but less so for portraits or detail shots.

Image quality is still exceptional and the lens is small and light by todays (AF) standards.

Roger

robmac

John - great. Roger - agree. Has it's shortcomings (given it's design intent) but for a longer landscape lens, etc it's brilliant. Too bad prices have climbed so much. Couple of years ago KEH couldn't given them away.