The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

1ds mkII firewire problem.

Marc Wilson

Hi guys,

I'v been trying out a 1dsmkII this weekend.
Great except that the one I have is troubled by the known loose forewire connection...bad for me as I shoot a lot tethered.

A couple of questions that surprisingly I can't find answers to:

Did Canon ever find a fix for it...i.e. via repair or was it a problem that was just there, and even when repaired would come back?

And was it the same with the original 1ds or did that use a different connection?

Thanks,

Marc

jeff weir

A while ago, Canon offered a plastic piece that fit into the FW connector that helped to hold the cable tight. Not a bullet proof fix, but it is an improvement.

Not sure if they offer a repair/upgrade mod.

Jeff

I

inthemeadows

Marc-

the firewire failure issue on the 1ds mk2 is a problem that canon will repair but will happen again, there is no real solution. Besides the migration by canon to USB on newer model camaras.

In my experience if you look into the firewire connection on the camera and see the shine of copper looking back at you from one of the four little slots in the bottom of the firewire jack, it is all over the port is F_ed.

Hope that saves you some hassle on set/location in the future

-enjoy

Marc Wilson

This all seems so long ago now...yes canon told me they could fix it but it would / may just happen again...so I went back to a 1ds and whlst tethering was strong the i.q. and general workings of the camera did nothing for me...did not want to feel forced to get a 1dsmkIII so I went sideways...and I've moved my whole system over to nikon!
On the d2x right now, nice i.q. great workings, great lenses including the smashing older 85mm PC macro which is of course just perfect for small product work, solid usb tethering, brilliant battery power and a D3 is in my very near future.

Now I can shoot without equipment worries..much better.(and I never really cared about the name on front of my dslr's...just as long as they do the job!)

S

Sasott

1ds mkII firewire problem

Dear fellow members,

Need ur guys suggestions which shop that i can buy the resonable and also can nego ikit2 la price 4 Canon 5D MKII with 24 - 105mm?

J

Johannes01

dear friends,i'll say it is suitable and of good quality.Japanese cameras are tend to collapse after a set period.So it is nice to purchase.