The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New to Canon!!!

trev2401

Harlowwww...

Guess it's about time i started posting, instead of reading. :)

Ok, so i've decided to get more involved with digital photography, moving on from rangefinders and 120.

I've been a long time nikon user since the F3 - D1 series of cameras, but mainly for my school newspaper, the usual pot shot of the grumpy lawn dog, and smelly flowers in my back yard.

So, ok... I'm thinking of getting my first canon. Either the 5d mk1 or the 1ds mk 1. Old cameras as they may be, that's about all i can get now before my newly wed wife decides that the marriage was a mistake.

I know the 5d hammers the 1ds mk 1 in the high ISO range, but other than that, can anybody give some opinions of either camera in terms of IQ, etc? I'm a fat chap, so fat cameras won't be a factor. :)

thanks in advance

:thumbup:

Dale Allyn

Hi Trev,

Welcome to the forum.

Perhaps you can describe what you'd like to get from a camera so that members here can offer an opinion specific to your needs or style.

I own a 5D (among other cameras) and have generally been pleased by it. The original 1Ds was/is a great camera, but for some styles of photography it's growing a bit long in the tooth. Frankly, most of the Canon cameras in recent years will perform well at certain tasks, even if there's a newer, greater model available. One can learn the strengths and weaknesses of the cameras and work within those parameters.

Anyway, more details about what you want to shoot; how you want to present the results, i.e. do you print? how large?, etc.; would be of help to folks who can share opinions and experience with you regarding these bodies.

Best,

Dale

trev2401

Hi dale

thanks for the post.

Well, i've mainly been doing portraits, studio and outside (events) for people. I shoot mainly with Rangefinders, both 35mm and 120, (6x9s), and do my own scanning and printing. (wetscans - epson 4880/7600) Print sizes usually range from 11x17s to 20x30s depending on what my clients require.

I understand that the 5dmk1's IQ is still out-of-this-world, even when compared to the mk2. But I hope to get something that'll take a beating as i move around a lot outside.

sigh...

thanks!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Welcome Trev:

I would think the 5D is a better starter than the 1Ds1 -- The 1Ds1 was a great camera, but is a generation or two older technology than the 5D, which is already a few generations older than the 5D2. The pro bodies are very nice, adding weather-proofing and better AF, but if you want/need that, then I would say spring for a 1Ds2 to get reasonably recent technology. The biggest difference in the IQ from these is noise at the given pixel counts. Here is a rough guide for practical max ISO on each: 1ds1:200; 5D1:800; 1Ds2:400; 1Ds3:800/1600; 5D2:1600/3200.

My .02,

trev2401

Thanks jack! hmmm so 5d it is then. I'll be dropping by the bay area next month, and will check out the local stores there (keebel, etc) for any used bodies...

for now, guess i'll have to wait it out.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I was in Keeble yesterday -- no used 5D's and very few Canon AF lenses. They did have a 75-300 DO zoom though.

LJL

Trev,
I concur with Jack. The 1Ds is a great camera, but a fair bit behind the tech curve today. The 1DsMkII would be an excellent choice over the 5D if you needed more ruggedness, weather seals, and wanted more pixels also, as it is 16+MP with a bit more DR and smoothness over the 5D, but giving up a stop on higher ISO. I have not had issues shooting it carefully at ISO 800 or going to 1600, but that does require a bit more NR in post. For portraits, that can be good or problematical, and it is best if you can shoot at 100-400. The 5D2 gets even more pixels, inheriting the 1DsMkIII sensor and its 22+MP, but giving up a bit of DR (for some folks), but gaining a good stop or two on the higher ISO end. It also lacks the weather seals, speed and ruggedness of either the 1DsMkII or 1DsMkIII bodies.

For the price, the 5D would be the best deal, and there are a number to be had since the 5DMkII came out, but if you can find a 1DsMkII for a good price, you would not be disappointed either. As for glass....do not overlook the 85mm f1.8 lens. For $325 or so new, it is a very good performer for natural light portraiture (fast AF). There are some CA and purple fringing issues wide open and with strong contrast lighting, but by f2.8 most of that is a non issue, and any can easily be fixed in post. The bigger brother 85mm f1.2L II is still one of the top choices, but for the price, the 85/1.8 may be the best bang for the buck at that focal length.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

LJ