Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Canon RP, maybe it's all I need

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Canon RP, maybe it's all I need

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    No entry level R lenses. Perhaps that is why they are bundling the RP with an EF lens and adapter.
    Or you could just get a DSLR that’ll outperform it for the same price or less...
    Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    For me the RP is simply too far stripped down. The R for a good discount would change that and would be a great camera if I needed a FF mirrorless now. However the restrictions with no IBIS and 4k video are still too steep for me, so this requires waiting for their next (PRO) model that will hopefully overcome these.

This seems to be the general situation/dilemma for me with the introduction of all the latest FF mirrorless cameras - Nikon Z has (still) not the AF capabilities I need, Canon is missing IBIS and useable 4k, Panasonic is far too much on the PRO side making these cameras too large, heavy and expensive for what I want.

The R lenses (especially that announced small size 2.8/70-200) are just to die for, also that 2/28-70, the 1.2/85 and the 15-35 would make my dream kit forever and make me waiting when Canon will finally introduce this new Pro level R camera. I could not care less about entry level lenses, although I am pretty sure they will soon add some of them.
    The 28-70 is an extremely large lens of size is a concern of yours. There’s a 95mm filter thread and the lens weighs over 3lbs. Excellent lens no doubt but it doesn’t solve theprice or size concerns you have with Panasonic at all. By comparison, all of the announced Panasonic lenses are cheaper and likely smaller.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting thread.

Just a thought but how is it possible in this day and age to create a mirrorless digital camera which can only achieve 5fps? That is an almost unique achievement.

LouisB

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Interesting thread.

Just a thought but how is it possible in this day and age to create a mirrorless digital camera which can only achieve 5fps? That is an almost unique achievement.

LouisB
    What’s more “impressive” is that it drops to 1-2fps when you want to track in AF mode...
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Interesting thread.

LouisB
    A frame rate of 5 fps is not a limitation for general photography. Not very many years ago, I shot motor sports with cameras around that speed (D2Xs, D300). The only serious limitation I can see in the RP is the sensor, particularly it's limited exposure lattitude when correcting under exposure and/or lifting shadows.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A good point about the sensor. I was potentially very interested in the RP but online reviews are fairly abysmal....whats the point of buying a FF camera if the image quality (resolution and DR anyway) is not better, or even equal, to APS-C....? Ken Rockwell thinks the RP is great but he is the only one and Dpreview were much more clinically questioning.......