The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon RP, maybe it's all I need

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I've always liked gear that has been reduced to the bare esentials, and when the price is also extremely nice like in this case, I have problems keeping my plastic money from jumping out of my pocket.

Very well done, Canon. I haven't owned a Canon camera since the A95, but this one is very tempting, as is the announced, compact 70-200 mm f/2.8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=-5G0SU3zMQ4

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/1575146892/hands-on-with-the-canon-eos-rp?slide=12

https://www.dpreview.com/news/55890...ller-than-an-eos-rebel-t7i-and-will-cost-1300

https://www.dpreview.com/news/67341...rf-lenses-including-ultra-compact-70-200-f2-8

Last edited:

Oren Grad

Yes, very aggressive pricing, also when you make a kit with the RF 35/1.8. The main functional limitation that I see on a first pass through the specifications is the use of the small LP-E17 battery with correspondingly low captures-per-charge, which will likely mean lots of battery swapping.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Seems to be quite a great camera - here a review (finally in German - I vote for more reviews in German anyway :cool:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c_qBjVMB2o&feature=em-uploademail

Hard to beat for that price!

And YESSSS - I love that new 2.8/70-200 - looks extremely compact and versatile. As also that new 2.8/15-35 - I always loved the "old" 2.8/16-35 already!

Canon might get a real alternative to Nikon Z and Panasonic S :clap:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Just saw these 1.2/85 and 1.2/85 DS announcements - man I loved the "old" 1.2/85 and here they come again in the new R-mount

WELL DONE CANON :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

iiiNelson

I would say that the only thing that has me confused isbthe strategy to release all of these excellent pro level lenses and consumer grade bodies. I was certain that Canon would go upmarket on this body to capture wedding shooters before the season began that refuse to work with a camera that doesn’t have 2 card slots. Great camera for the entry level side of things it seems but the. The lens prices will likely scare the entry level market away from the system right now too. Yes you could adapt but then you’re accepting less than optimal performance for the new RF mount as well.

I hope they release a pro level camera soon and hopefully one without a fully articulating screen. I think the Fuji/Panasonic S screen setups are perfect.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
So, he thinks they launch to many great lenses? What's the problem? Leica has delivered basic bodies and great lenses for decades, and I don't see Leica users complain much.

I mainly like this new body for two reasons:

- It's small
- It's basic

Still, I want the best lenses that I can afford. Actually, buying a cheaper body helps me to afford better lenses.

In addition to the above, it offers a fully articulated LCD, uses cheap SD cards and has a nearly flat top (yes, I place my cameras upside down sometimes).This camera plus a couple of fast primes? It isn't much smaller than the Z6 of course, but much cheaper, and Canon is coming up with new lenses faster than anyone.

Fascinating times.

pegelli

The main functional limitation that I see on a first pass through the specifications is the use of the small LP-E17 battery with correspondingly low captures-per-charge, which will likely mean lots of battery swapping.
Small battery size is not a problem for a Canon, only for a Sony of course. For a Sony it's a fatal flaw (as has been pointed out many times) :ROTFL:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Small battery size is not a problem for a Canon, only for a Sony of course. For a Sony it's a fatal flaw (as has been pointed out many times) :ROTFL:
For professional use, and often for travel, it's a problem for any camera in my view. What I've seen though, is that battery capacity and battery life are only two of many factors. The battery for this camera is small compared to the Z6 and tiny compared to the S1. Still the battery life according to specs is only slightly worse. There are many factors at play.

No, I haven't ruled out another DSLR yet, and battery life is one of the reasons why. Only yesterday, the battery of my GX8 gave up at an inconvenient time (industrial process, several people involved, couldn't be stopped).

I've gone from the OM-1, where the battery lasted for months, or even years, via DSLRs, where the battery mostly lasted a day, to mirrorless where it sometimes only lasts for an hour, forcing me to carry this little blue bag of spares in my pocket. That's not progress.

iiiNelson

For professional use, and often for travel, it's a problem for any camera in my view. What I've seen though, is that battery capacity and battery life are only two of many factors. The battery for this camera is small compared to the Z6 and tiny compared to the S1. Still the battery life according to specs is only slightly worse. There are many factors at play.

No, I haven't ruled out another DSLR yet, and battery life is one of the reasons why. Only yesterday, the battery of my GX8 gave up at an inconvenient time (industrial process, several people involved, couldn't be stopped).

I've gone from the OM-1, where the battery lasted for months, or even years, via DSLRs, where the battery mostly lasted a day, to mirrorless where it sometimes only lasts for an hour, forcing me to carry this little blue bag of spares in my pocket. That's not progress.
depending on HOW you shoot ive gotten as many as 500-800 shots on the old “tiny” Sony batteries even though they’re rated at around 300-350 shots. The newer batteries regularly see people getting 1500+ without trying and I’ve heard legitimate reports of 3000-5000 shots with them though I can’t imagine wanting to take that many of anything because at some point I’m just shifting to video.

I heard aome say you can expect 400-500 shots with the new Canon if you’re just doing photography but if you mix in video prepare to have a battery tote/case. Personally I’ve never had an issue with old Sony batteries and 3rd party options from Watson/Wasabi are available for cheap (4 for ~$20) and worked well.

In any case the Canon RF lens lineup looks great but I didn’t care for the EOS R so I doubt I’ll care for this one for my own needs. Maybe once they release their pro body I’ll consoder them if I’m still in the market and they certainly have the lens lineup covered but I expect Sony to do a lens refresh and Panasonic to come out with some winners too.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
depending on HOW you shoot ive gotten as many as 500-800 shots on the old “tiny” Sony batteries even though they’re rated at around 300-350 shots. The newer batteries regularly see people getting 1500+ without trying and I’ve heard legitimate reports of 3000-5000 shots with them though I can’t imagine wanting to take that many of anything because at some point I’m just shifting to video.

I heard aome say you can expect 400-500 shots with the new Canon if you’re just doing photography but if you mix in video prepare to have a battery tote/case. Personally I’ve never had an issue with old Sony batteries and 3rd party options from Watson/Wasabi are available for cheap (4 for ~$20) and worked well.

In any case the Canon RF lens lineup looks great but I didn’t care for the EOS R so I doubt I’ll care for this one for my own needs. Maybe once they release their pro body I’ll consoder them if I’m still in the market and they certainly have the lens lineup covered but I expect Sony to do a lens refresh and Panasonic to come out with some winners too.
What could be interesting for me with the RP is to carry it with one or two primes and let my GX8 cameras handle the long and short ends. Body plus the native 35 mm f/1.8 and the EF mount 85 mm f/1.4 IS would be a possibility or just the 50 mm f/1.2. The size is more or less the same as the GX8, which is ideal for me, but the Z6/7 is also the same size except for the large hump on top, and Nikon will also release a 50mm f/1.2 soon.

I'll buy some new kites while I try to make up my mind, which might be never :eek:

pegelli

Only yesterday, the battery of my GX8 gave up at an inconvenient time (industrial process, several people involved, couldn't be stopped).
Oops, that's inconvenient.
Did you change to a fresh battery before you started? Even the small Sony ones I have used have never given up within a couple of hours, even when shooting a lot. Most of the time they last at least a half day.
Btw, thanks for biting on my tongue in cheek comment, I was was almost certain you would ;). I think that for most (if not all) intended purposes the small batteries of this new Canon are not a problem, it just requires a little foresight to change them out in a break when getting lower and not wait until they're fully depleted. At least that's what I do, and I've never missed a shot due to a depleted battery.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Oops, that's inconvenient.
Did you change to a fresh battery before you started? Even the small Sony ones I have used have never given up within a couple of hours, even when shooting a lot. Most of the time they last at least a half day.
Btw, thanks for biting on my tongue in cheek comment, I was was almost certain you would ;). I think that for most (if not all) intended purposes the small batteries of this new Canon are not a problem, it just requires a little foresight to change them out in a break when getting lower and not wait until they're fully depleted. At least that's what I do, and I've never missed a shot due to a depleted battery.
For me, this is a serious issue. I always start the day with a fresh battery and another in my pocket, but I shoot a mix of video and stills in a busy environment, so the batteries run out fast sometimes. I should actually shoot using a vertical grip, so that I could change batteries on the fly when the camera is mounted on a tripod, but the GX doesn't offer that option. So, I should upgrade to a G9, GH5 or E-M1, or even a cheapish G85, which is a better camera for video anyway.

pegelli

For me, this is a serious issue. I always start the day with a fresh battery and another in my pocket, but I shoot a mix of video and stills in a busy environment, so the batteries run out fast sometimes. I should actually shoot using a vertical grip, so that I could change batteries on the fly when the camera is mounted on a tripod, but the GX doesn't offer that option. So, I should upgrade to a G9, GH5 or E-M1, or even a cheapish G85, which is a better camera for video anyway.
That's probably the main difference, I don't shoot video, only stills, so that also means a lot less strain on the batteries.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
What could be interesting for me with the RP is to carry it with one or two primes and let my GX8 cameras handle the long and short ends. Body plus the native 35 mm f/1.8 and the EF mount 85 mm f/1.4 IS would be a possibility or just the 50 mm f/1.2. The size is more or less the same as the GX8, which is ideal for me, but the Z6/7 is also the same size except for the large hump on top, and Nikon will also release a 50mm f/1.2 soon.

I'll buy some new kites while I try to make up my mind, which might be never :eek:
Not sure on my side either. I would love the R 1.2/85 and or the 1.2/50 but I discussed today with my dealer (he is more a Nikon dealer) that the RP has really too many issues. One of the biggest issues for me is the high crop in 4k and also that dual pixel AF does not work in 4k - which is one of the killer features in Canon land. Also the price in Europe is turning me down again as it is €1509.- compared to $1299.- in the US.

All that together is not boding too well for Canon but I will wait anyway till end of 2019 and maybe they release a more (also expensive) Pro model without the 4k issues and also IBIS. That might change things totally. We will see.

WRT Olympus - I decided to no longer invested in their m43 system, will continue using the EM1.2 but no more upgrades.

I rather go any of the mirrorless FF paths - either Canon, Nikon or Panasonic - and this way I have to wait at least till early 2020 before I can see more clearly where each of them evolves their system. And maybe till then there could also happen the one or another discount or used body/lens that would influence that whole decision process significantly. Great that I am not in a hurry.

Elderly

Only yesterday, the battery of my GX8 gave up at an inconvenient time (industrial process, several people involved, couldn't be stopped).

......... That's not progress.
Progress :p …. and when you were shooting with your Fuji GX680 :thumbs: did you never feel that you ran out of film at an inconvenient time :facesmack: :grin:?