The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon RP, maybe it's all I need

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks, but I'm not so much interested in marketing mumbo-jumbo, especially since the Sony was the first full frame mirrorless in 2013 and Canon is the umpteens FF mirrorless 6 years later. Different markets call for different communications. I'm more looking at features, options and frills that the camera's have. Any of these where you think the original A7 could do a lot more than the RP that would scare off amateurs and "advanced" amateurs? I don't see a lot.
No, in my eyes, it was probably a less capable camera than the RP is. The A7 is after all 6 years old. The big difference however is that they marketed it as a professional tool, while Canon markets the RP as an entry level, amateur tool.

pegelli

No, in my eyes, it was probably a less capable camera than the RP is. The A7 is after all 6 years old. The big difference however is that they marketed it as a professional tool, while Canon markets the RP as an entry level, amateur tool.
I think that's more caused by the times and market in which the camera was launched and has less to do with the basic attributes of the camera and/or attracting/scaring customers.

The A7 was the first FF mirrorless, the most advanced at that time (by definition) and Sony knows that "amateurs" and "advanced amateurs" would not be hesitant to try a tool that was marketed as professional (but actually wasn't) if the price is right, and the entry price was still way below what the high-end mirrorless goes by today (and only ~25% above the RP entry price).

Canon comes 6 years later with its RP in an established market where they can't play this trick anymore which for me explains the lower marketing pitch. In my mind, other than the crippled video, there's not a lot "basic" about this camera vs. other lower end or slightly older mirrorless FF cameras (that can still be bought new today).

iiiNelson

Canon comes 6 years later with its RP in an established market where they can't play this trick anymore which for me explains the lower marketing pitch. In my mind, other than the crippled video, there's not a lot "basic" about this camera vs. other lower end or slightly older mirrorless FF cameras (that can still be bought new today).
This is the root of it all. Canon came to the game late AND the video is crippled. This may not matter to people that are 100% photographers but it does matter to many hybrid and video shooters. There’s a greater negativity applied when the decisions seem to be largely software based. 4K doesn’t allow one to use Canon’s Dual Pixel AF and 1080p only provides a 30fps option while 4K provides a 24fps option. It should be easy enough to include 24 FPS for 1080p you’d think. The strange behavior with using EF-S cropped lenses exists too - and this is why it’s receiving a lot of negative press.

As a straight photography camera it’s probably fine but if it were my money it would be a hard sell to buy this over a XT3 for nearly the same money, a A7II for about 25% less, or a A7RII for less than 25% more... maybe even a D750 would be another option for about the same money too though the video will probably leave one wanting too.

biglouis

I am not in the position to own yet another new camera but this is certainly very aggressively priced and seems to be a lot of camera for the money. Having just purchased an X-T3 I think Canon are aiming to stop people going Fujifilm rather than trying to compete with Nikon or Panasonic. I can imagine a lot of people being tempted by this camera as a second body, or second system.

LouisB

iiiNelson

I am not in the position to own yet another new camera but this is certainly very aggressively priced and seems to be a lot of camera for the money. Having just purchased an X-T3 I think Canon are aiming to stop people going Fujifilm rather than trying to compete with Nikon or Panasonic. I can imagine a lot of people being tempted by this camera as a second body, or second system.

LouisB
I don’t disagree with you... the timing of the launch is just baffling to me given that outside of the 35mm Macro they’ve only announced/released Canon RF L glass. Seems like a pro body is needed given that pro lenses are what are being developed nearly exclusively. Fuji X has appropriately priced lens option with their small primes and wide range of pro (red badge) zooms and consumer oriented ones as well.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I don’t disagree with you... the timing of the launch is just baffling to me given that outside of the 35mm Macro they’ve only announced/released Canon RF L glass. Seems like a pro body is needed given that pro lenses are what are being developed nearly exclusively. Fuji X has appropriately priced lens option with their small primes and wide range of pro (red badge) zooms and consumer oriented ones as well.
For me, as a travel photographer (mostly), I don't need anything more "pro" than one of these two bodies, the very cheap RP or the now reduced R. Ergonomics seem great, viewfinder is apparently good enough, they have a fully articulated LCD and most important of all: the lenses are to die for.

The 28-70mm f/2 would be a fantastic "3 primes in one" lens for travel photography, and I could keep MFT for telephoto, macro etc. There's a sponsored video on dpr now where the photographer seems to use the R and the 28-70mm mostly. Sponsored or not, the results are great:

https://www.dpreview.com/videos/4214910669/the-canon-eos-r-in-new-zealand

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

LouisB
Exactly. One Canon body with one or two large aperture lenses for situations when that is needed, and MFT for anything else.

iiiNelson

For me, as a travel photographer (mostly), I don't need anything more "pro" than one of these two bodies, the very cheap RP or the now reduced R. Ergonomics seem great, viewfinder is apparently good enough, they have a fully articulated LCD and most important of all: the lenses are to die for.

The 28-70mm f/2 would be a fantastic "3 primes in one" lens for travel photography, and I could keep MFT for telephoto, macro etc. There's a sponsored video on dpr now where the photographer seems to use the R and the 28-70mm mostly. Sponsored or not, the results are great:

https://www.dpreview.com/videos/4214910669/the-canon-eos-r-in-new-zealand
The lenses are indeed excellent but that’s EXAVTLY the point I’m making.

Casual photographers typically aren’t spending $4k+ on an entry level camera and pro lens. This is where a pro body makes sense. ESSENTIALLY canon wants this to be the equivalent of their “FF Mirrorless Rebel” but there aren’t any cheap native options. Even the 24-105 which is excellent too will set you back another $1200 or so... and when we are talking $2k+ for a casual shooter... they’ll likely pass it up for a cheaper DSLR, Mirrorless, or more likely their camera phone.

regarding ergonomics... I found the EOS R surprisingly uncomfortable for me despite thinking I’d love it at first. Every other FF camera feels better in the hand to me whether it’s the Sony or Nikon... and likely Panasonic too once I have it in hand.

Casual photographers typically aren’t spending $4k+ on an entry level camera and pro lens. This is where a pro body makes sense. ESSENTIALLY canon wants this to be the equivalent of their “FF Mirrorless Rebel” but there aren’t any cheap native options.
No entry level R lenses. Perhaps that is why they are bundling the RP with an EF lens and adapter.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
For me the RP is simply too far stripped down. The R for a good discount would change that and would be a great camera if I needed a FF mirrorless now. However the restrictions with no IBIS and 4k video are still too steep for me, so this requires waiting for their next (PRO) model that will hopefully overcome these.

This seems to be the general situation/dilemma for me with the introduction of all the latest FF mirrorless cameras - Nikon Z has (still) not the AF capabilities I need, Canon is missing IBIS and useable 4k, Panasonic is far too much on the PRO side making these cameras too large, heavy and expensive for what I want.

The R lenses (especially that announced small size 2.8/70-200) are just to die for, also that 2/28-70, the 1.2/85 and the 15-35 would make my dream kit forever and make me waiting when Canon will finally introduce this new Pro level R camera. I could not care less about entry level lenses, although I am pretty sure they will soon add some of them.

iiiNelson

For me the RP is simply too far stripped down. The R for a good discount would change that and would be a great camera if I needed a FF mirrorless now. However the restrictions with no IBIS and 4k video are still too steep for me, so this requires waiting for their next (PRO) model that will hopefully overcome these.

This seems to be the general situation/dilemma for me with the introduction of all the latest FF mirrorless cameras - Nikon Z has (still) not the AF capabilities I need, Canon is missing IBIS and useable 4k, Panasonic is far too much on the PRO side making these cameras too large, heavy and expensive for what I want.

The R lenses (especially that announced small size 2.8/70-200) are just to die for, also that 2/28-70, the 1.2/85 and the 15-35 would make my dream kit forever and make me waiting when Canon will finally introduce this new Pro level R camera. I could not care less about entry level lenses, although I am pretty sure they will soon add some of them.
The 28-70 is an extremely large lens of size is a concern of yours. There’s a 95mm filter thread and the lens weighs over 3lbs. Excellent lens no doubt but it doesn’t solve theprice or size concerns you have with Panasonic at all. By comparison, all of the announced Panasonic lenses are cheaper and likely smaller.

biglouis

Interesting thread.

Just a thought but how is it possible in this day and age to create a mirrorless digital camera which can only achieve 5fps? That is an almost unique achievement.

LouisB

iiiNelson

Interesting thread.

Just a thought but how is it possible in this day and age to create a mirrorless digital camera which can only achieve 5fps? That is an almost unique achievement.

LouisB
What’s more “impressive” is that it drops to 1-2fps when you want to track in AF mode...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Interesting thread.

LouisB
A frame rate of 5 fps is not a limitation for general photography. Not very many years ago, I shot motor sports with cameras around that speed (D2Xs, D300). The only serious limitation I can see in the RP is the sensor, particularly it's limited exposure lattitude when correcting under exposure and/or lifting shadows.

Bugleone

A good point about the sensor. I was potentially very interested in the RP but online reviews are fairly abysmal....whats the point of buying a FF camera if the image quality (resolution and DR anyway) is not better, or even equal, to APS-C....? Ken Rockwell thinks the RP is great but he is the only one and Dpreview were much more clinically questioning.......