The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is the 5dsr still relevant?

eddystone

In looking at options for returning to full frame as a second system, mostly for still life and pictorial work, say a body and maybe 2 lenses it’s difficult to square the cost of recent high mpx mirrorless cameras like Sony A7R4 andPanasonic S1R with limited use. It is interesting that the Canon 5dsr can now be found for less than half the price of the Panasonic S1R and there are some excellent EF lenses for much less than equivalent mirrorless options - for example 100L macro IS and 16-35/4.
Don’t think there is any doubt about its absolute image quality provided you can manage the more limited dynamic range and it doesn’t seem to have the pattern noise in shadows that the 5D2 suffered from. However it seems to be a camera to use on a tripod as electronic first shutter is only available in Live View.
Any thoughts

GregMO

I upgraded to a 5DsR about a year ago. It was my 1st digital camera purchase since my 7D in 2009. At the time (and still do) I felt it was a great value for the cost/ image quality.

I only have 1 Canon EF lens (24-105L) when I need auto focus &/or IS. Otherwise I use Mamiya macros (120 & 80) on a tripod to stitch images.

I use the camera mostly for metering since I primarily shoot 5x7 and 617 film formats. I occasionally use the camera for experimental work when volume is useful. Or to do stitching for collecting sky/ cloud scenes that I might composite into by film scenes when need be.

To me, the reliability, ruggedness & Canon platform were a better value then switching to Nikon or Sony (at a higher price) and its limitations (mostly DR) didn't pose a large enough deterrent for how I use the camera. I anticipate my next digital camera purchase in 8 years will be mirrorless.

DougDolde

B&H has it listed new for $3,699.00

50 megapixels isn't so great anymore. Nor is its rather poor dynamic range. Lots of better options from Sony, Nikon, Fuji, Panasonic

pfigen

Of course it's still relevant but it's getting a bit long in the tooth. Great solid rugged camera and the dynamic range is more than adequate for most anything you shoot. In the real world it's not a big deal and all those other cameras that compete, well, maybe there's just the new Sony, are still going to need to be bracketed in many situations. The problem with wider dynamic range cameras is that while they often will eek out an extra stop, where that data is in the digital tonal range is not necessarily where it needs to be for optimum toning.

If you believe CanonRumors, there will be an announcement for a mirrorless replacement for the 5DSr next month. The rumors say 75mp with enhanced DR, so maybe that's the ticket. In the meantime I got a huge architectural job to shoot at the end of the month or early Feb that will be primarily with the 5DSr's and time lapse on 5D4. Yeah, these folks actually have a Turrell installation that warrants that.

But you know what they say. Buy what you need now and worry about the future when it gets there.

JoelM

If 42mpx is enough for you, you can grab a mint A7rii in the $1200 range. This has been working well for me.

Joel

jeffreybehr

B&H has it listed new for $3,699.00

50 megapixels isn't so great anymore. Nor is its rather poor dynamic range. Lots of better options from Sony, Nikon, Fuji, Panasonic
Yes, but eBay had several sellers of gray-markets 5DSRs for just over $1400; I bought one and will sell my too-small a7R4.