The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon EOS-1 D X Mark III

iiiNelson

A brave evolution from Canon! If I would be in DSLR photography again, this camera would be it. Just a technical marvel!

This video makes me really want to get one with some lenses and go back to Africa and Safari again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRnZdU0bJNk

Enjoy

Peter
Great looking camera that I can’t help but thinking that it should’ve been in RF mount. It would literally solve most of the shortcomings and still be compatible with EF through native adapters.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Great looking camera that I can’t help but thinking that it should’ve been in RF mount. It would literally solve most of the shortcomings and still be compatible with EF through native adapters.
I tend to agree, but for sports shooters, the form factor and lens mount is fine. I suppose there will be an RX with similar specs later.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I tend to agree, but for sports shooters, the form factor and lens mount is fine. I suppose there will be an RX with similar specs later.
I really hope for this RX camera to materialise sooner than later, although it will be probably too expensive for me and the shootings I would use it for :banghead:.

iiiNelson

I hear you but at some point they gotta cut the cord. Nothing wrong with the 1DxII IMO. If this were in RF mount it would justify the excellent lenses they’ve produced so far. I just don’t think the existing bodies excite most people that were looking for Canon to make a big splash. It is probably the most disappointed Mirrorless FF body to me. Part of that is because I had higher hopes/expectations for what they’d produce and the other part is because I find it to be the absolute least comfortable of all FF Mirrorless cameras to hold in the hand.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I hear you but at some point they gotta cut the cord. Nothing wrong with the 1DxII IMO. If this were in RF mount it would justify the excellent lenses they’ve produced so far. I just don’t think the existing bodies excite most people that were looking for Canon to make a big splash. It is probably the most disappointed Mirrorless FF body to me. Part of that is because I had higher hopes/expectations for what they’d produce and the other part is because I find it to be the absolute least comfortable of all FF Mirrorless cameras to hold in the hand.
Maybe the R is made for Asians. They have smaller hands. I know a couple of R users, both Asians, and they are very happy with the camera.

iiiNelson

Maybe the R is made for Asians. They have smaller hands. I know a couple of R users, both Asians, and they are very happy with the camera.
I don’t know about that... I think people just find different ergonomics acceptable. I know of many Americans that like the EOS R ergos... I’m just not one of them but it’s 100% because of the grip for me. It’s straight walled without any indentation. It’s the reason I don’t care for it.

Mark C

Having owned the original 1Dx (which I sold to help fund MF gear) I found there was a lot to like about the 1 series. I didn't feel that the mk ii was enough of an improvement for me to justify the outlay when that was introduced so, for the past 3 years, I've used the 5Dmkiv. The mk iii however looks like its got a lot to offer especially in AF improvements. I was a bit put off by the high list price in the UK when it was formally announced but, when you take into account the two Sandisk 64GB CF express cards plus reader which are bundled with it (I'd otherwise have to buy those for around £425) plus £500 p/ex bonus from Canon, that brings the price down to a more reasonable level, actually around £500 more than what the mk ii was being advertised at until recently. So I've pre ordered one, should get it around mid February.

compasiune11

Had a chance to demo one a Mark III. Can’t speak to the IQ or focus accuracy but if you are a BBF point focuser, and I think a lot of Canon shooters still are, that optical AF ON button is a game changer. It’s not a toggle it’s more like an optical mouse it senses your thumb move around but only focuses when you press it. Of course you can do both at once too which is currently impossible unless you have two thumbs on your right hand. very nice
Was back shooting with my Mark II this afternoon and all I could think about was how annoyed I was that I had to take my thumb off the AF On button to move the focus point.

Mark C

I've had my 1DxIII for a couple of weeks now, used it in different scenarios with different lenses and overall I'm very pleased I bought it. Looking forward to C1 releasing an update to let me use their software with the raw files (currently Adobe is the only option) but that's a minor issue. Here's some pics I've taken with it, the first 3 in black and white are with the Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art lens, the colour images are with the Canon 300mm f2.8 IsII lens, the last one (the Kestrel) was taken with the 2xTC attached:

Side of the Sage by Mark, on Flickr

The upper levels by Mark, on Flickr

Except for access by Mark, on Flickr

Robin by Mark, on Flickr

Gull in flight by Mark, on Flickr

Kestrel by Mark, on Flickr