The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon EOS R video crop

jdphoto

I'm not a video shooter at all, but occasionally have to shoot videos for certain assignments. When using the Canon EOS R, my understanding is that a 50mm will then become an approximately 85mm FL when considering the 1.7 crop in 4K. My question is, does this crop (1.7) only apply to 4k or can I shoot in 1080 with a 50mm and get a 50mm perspective?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I'm not a video shooter at all, but occasionally have to shoot videos for certain assignments. When using the Canon EOS R, my understanding is that a 50mm will then become an approximately 85mm FL when considering the 1.7 crop in 4K. My question is, does this crop (1.7) only apply to 4k or can I shoot in 1080 with a 50mm and get a 50mm perspective?
This crop only is valid in 4k. In Full HD there is no crop - at least what I know.

compasiune11

1.8x crop in 4K is literally a deal-breaker for me. Nobody wanted this. I don’t even think many inside Canon wanted it but through some kind of very high-up management decision in Japan we have ended up in this shambles yet again on an important new release for video. Canon appeals to both stills and video users in the marketing, they really emphasise video on it. There is a clear market for it. Why not buckle up and cater for it?