The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon RP vs EOS R

jdphoto

I've been trying out the EOS R with a RF 50mm 1.2 after selling my Nikon Z7. I like the build quality a lot, but it also has quite the heft when mounted to an RF lens. Switching gear induces a learning curve for which the Canon's 600 plus page manual has impressed upon me. But, it's the L lenses I'm after with their 1.2 offerings in the RF and EF mount. It's more about the lenses character than absolute resolution and Canon does that for me. I drew the line when pixel peeping at 200% and deciding what I thought was sharp! Don't be that photographer! However, the Canon RP is not so dramatically different in specs, that I'm wondering if I should get it and wait for the R5, which is my initial plan with the EOS R. But the EOS RP is now selling for under $1000! One consideration is the RP's slower top shutter speed of 1/4000th over the EOS R's 1/8000th, and having 1.2 lenses, this could be an issue. But I could easily use an ND to offset that too (yeah, remember those?) I shoot mostly portraits and don't need blazing FPS, but maybe the RP could suffice until the R5 and save $ for another RF/EF lens or two.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I've been trying out the EOS R with a RF 50mm 1.2 after selling my Nikon Z7. I like the build quality a lot, but it also has quite the heft when mounted to an RF lens. Switching gear induces a learning curve for which the Canon's 600 plus page manual has impressed upon me. But, it's the L lenses I'm after with their 1.2 offerings in the RF and EF mount. It's more about the lenses character than absolute resolution and Canon does that for me. I drew the line when pixel peeping at 200% and deciding what I thought was sharp! Don't be that photographer! However, the Canon RP is not so dramatically different in specs, that I'm wondering if I should get it and wait for the R5, which is my initial plan with the EOS R. But the EOS RP is now selling for under $1000! One consideration is the RP's slower top shutter speed of 1/4000th over the EOS R's 1/8000th, and having 1.2 lenses, this could be an issue. But I could easily use an ND to offset that too (yeah, remember those?) I shoot mostly portraits and don't need blazing FPS, but maybe the RP could suffice until the R5 and save $ for another RF/EF lens or two.
I like the RP for its simplicity, but the R has a much better sensor. That mostly matters if you do extensive post processing, but then it really matters.

jdphoto

I think if I get my exposures right, the 1.5 stop difference should still work. Thanks for posting that though.

jdphoto

I decided to go with the RP for many different reasons of which none have to do with image quality. I compared both and really liked the simplicity and build quality of RP. Actually, with the hand grip, the RP stands a little taller, but still has a nicer feel, imo. I don't shoot much video, so that's a moot point. The RP will actually make me a better photographer because the sensor won't let you get away with 5 stops of underexposure. I have been shooting both film and digital and the RP feels like a perfect fit, whereas, the technology doesn't get in the way. Yes, antithetical to the planned obsolescence of digital. But, I was getting lazy expecting the camera to do it all. Even in editing, there's apps that allow you to place sun beams, flares or starry filled night skies anywhere in an image! Oddly, I hope the RP brings me back to the fundamentals of photography while appreciating its technology, but not expecting it to do all the work.

jdphoto

I've been shooting with the RP for a few weeks now, although no studio/strobe shoots, but so far really like this camera. I use it with the hand grip which has its own battery/SD door. The grip door is so much better quality than the factory one (on camera). It also has a locking handle which just feels nicer.
Shooting with the RF 50mm f/1.2 is incredible. I've never used a f/1.2 AF on any camera and this one is a revelation! Shooting with the RP is like film for me, in that I expose it like slide film being careful with the highlights more. The sensor doesn't have the dynamic range of the Nikon D810, 850 or Z7, but it has more character in the OOC pics. I am looking forward to using the R5, but the RP is an incredibly built camera for under $1000 that will serve as my b/u camera. Perhaps when prices are more in line with my budget, I'll add the RF 85mm 1.2 too. The RF glass has no equal imo.