The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon R mount Shift adaptors EOS R>EF

Schafphoto

I'm looking to mount my Canon 11-24 on a shift adapter on my Canon R. There is enough room for a rotating shift adapter, I'm cobbling one together from a Kipon EOS-Mam645 shift adapter by adding an EOS female mount to the 645 end and grinding a bunch of aluminum with my Dremel. I know I'm an unusual case try to shift zooms like the 11-24 and 16-35 but after doing architecture for my whole career I know that my 17mm TSE and 24mm TSE are not fields of view I like very much, I always feel I'm compromising a better angle or composition and that the prime is limiting, not flexible. 14mm, 20mm, and 35mm make up most of the work and I can get that out of my zooms if I can just figure out a solid shift adapter EOSR>EOSEF.

Too old to change my approach, I really just want to hire a machinist to make my perfect adapter.

-Schaf

Hartblei offers their "DRS Dual Rotation Shifter EOS to GFX" for the Fuji GFX and I have seen examples with both of these lenses you mention... Might have to search for them specifically or try the Hcam Facebook page...

http://www.hartblei.de/en/whatsnew.htm

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1182382061874228&id=122001131245665

** Just noticed that it looks like Hartblei have stopped production of such adapters.. **

and that has a longer flange distance than the Canon RF mount, so you could possibly take off the GFX mount and attach an RF mount...

Kipon also has one (I own one) and is much cheaper...

There is one for the Sony E-mount and that has a tighter flange distance of 18mm..

So there is room there somewhere, as you have adapters on either side of the Canon RF mounts flange distance of 20mm..

Audii-Dudii

If this was my project, I would start with a Fotodiox Fuji X to EOS shift adapter: https://fotodioxpro.com/collections/lens-mount-adapters/products/eos-fxrf-pro-shft

I would then modify this Canon RF reverse ring to replace the Fuji camera mount: https://www.ebay.com/itm/72mm-Macro...605939?hash=item4d94e65973:g:fcoAAOSwMrJc6QaF

Of course, without having both pieces in hand, I can't be absolutely certain this will work, but all signs are positive and where there's a will -- er, mill -- there's a way! :D

As it happens, I have one of the Fotodiox Fuji X to EOS adapters on hand and out of curiosity, I removed the camera mount to confirm that replacing it with another one will be an easy task. And sho'nuf, it should be!

The Fuji camera mount piece is made from a single piece of brass and measures 63 mm in diameter. As the photo below shows, it has a built-in spacer measuring 3.3 mm in between the camera bayonet and adapter mount portions, presumably so one adapter body can be used to accommodate several bodies having differing FFDs:

The Fuji FFD is 17.7 mm and the Canon RF FFD is 20 mm, which is a difference of 2.3 mm. This means if you remove Fotodiox's camera mount, you will have 1.0 mm of flexibility with the thickness of the replacement Canon RF camera mount.

Looking at thickness of the macro ring, I think it can be made to fit with a minor bit of work:

Of course, you'll also have to reduce its diameter to 63 mm and accurately locate and drill / countersink six holes, but as I recall from prior correspondence, you have a decently equipped home shop and some experience in these matters, so that shouldn't be a big deal, either.

Anyway, that's my two-cents worth ... good luck! :D

(And if you would like to buy the shift adapter shown in the photo, drop me a note as I bought it for a project that's since been abandoned and have no use for it, so I'll be happy to sell it on.)

Schafphoto

I would then modify this Canon RF reverse ring to replace the Fuji camera mount: [url said:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/72mm-Macro-Lens-Reverse-Adapter-Ring-for-Canon-EOS-R-EOS-R5-RP-Mirrorless-Camera/333210605939?hash=item4d94e65973:g:fcoAAOSwMrJc6QaF[/url]
Does the Fuji shift adapter have a rotating feature to do rise/fall and side/side?

Oren Grad

How do you intend to handle aperture control with the EF lens(es)? Setting aperture on an EF-mount camera and transferring the lens, or...?

Schafphoto

How do you intend to handle aperture control with the EF lens(es)? Setting aperture on an EF-mount camera and transferring the lens, or...?
Yep, I'm thinking of getting the worst Canon ever to be the aperture controller... The "Legendary" Canon IX-lite. (APS) It's tiny and lightweight plastic and I don't have to worry about keeping the battery charged. I should be able to find one for $7.00

Audii-Dudii

Very intriguing. I already have a 72 and 58 Canon R reversing ring and a couple of other Canon R mounts that were cheap to acquire.
Good luck with whatever solution you decided to pursue! And do post back with the results, because inquiring minds need to know these things!

BTW, is this a replacement for or an addition to your Fuji GFX outfit? I would be surprised if it's the former, but if it's the latter, what are you gaining?

Personally, I've become obsessed lately with lightening my load and reducing the amount of weight I carry around (because the majority of my photo outings take place with me on foot and not working from the backseat of my car) and I've been pleasantly surprised by how little I have had to compromise in terms of performance and image quality in order to meet my borderline extreme goals.

Schafphoto

I never pulled the trigger on the GFX. I just borrowed the body and rented the lenses to do my image circle tests. And then I bought an EOS R because the TSE lenses had more movement and I was hoping that Canon would come out with their High Dynamic Range/High Resolution mirrorless in 2020. I ordered the 45MP body but I suspect the 75MP Canon R body will be 2021. Oh well, I'll have a couple of back up R bodies by then, or I'll use them on the copy stand to scan 4x5 negatives.

My use case is so specialized that using a medium format back on a technical camera would be the logical progression, but the flexibility and speed of the Canon is too tempting. And the price point is a big factor too.

-Schaf

Audii-Dudii

My use case is so specialized that using a medium format back on a technical camera would be the logical progression, but the flexibility and speed of the Canon is too tempting. And the price point is a big factor too.
Having previously gone the medium-format digital back route myself, I'm with you on both points (although, as you know, I have since addressed my needs in a very different way than you have with my various FrankenKameras and especially so with the most recent pair of them.)

Anyway, I just remembered this camera mount -- https://www.cambo.com/en/actus-series/actus-b-mini-view-camera/ac-782/ -- and although it's quite a bit more expensive than a generic Chinese-made reverse ring at $79, it probably will make a better camera mount for your purpose than a modified reverse ring.

I just measured one of my Sony E-mount rings and its diameter is 64.7 mm, so it'll need only a very minor trim to fit the Fotodiox shift adapter I mentioned above. Plus it will be a lot easier to drill four holes in the blue ring than it will be to drill/countersink six holes in the reverse ring, which certainly is worth something for me.

Anyway, good luck with your project!