The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Weird behavior with Canon RP images

jdphoto

I have used the Canon RP recently for a company that wanted catalog and web images. Pretty standard stuff using continuous lights. Formatted the Sony "TOUGH" card in camera and completed the job after culling and edit in LR (6.14). However, using the same card for another shoot LR will not download the images or even recognize them. When it does recognize them, the images appear to load, but when viewing multiple images in the frame, they just turn dark and then indicate a 64kb file from a previous 5MB image. I did nothing out of the ordinary, so what the heck happened to my images. They're still on the SD card, but it was very, very warm when I took the card out of the reader. LR does not find the card for import either. Any thoughts on why this might be happening to LR or my Sony TOUGH SD card?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Did you reformat that card in camera before the second shoot, or did you rely on LR "erase" to handle it? I know lots of folks who've had issues with LR erase...

jdphoto

Did you reformat that card in camera before the second shoot, or did you rely on LR "erase" to handle it? I know lots of folks who've had issues with LR erase...
I always format in camera, so that's not it. LR does eject the card after download though. It's really a mystery because I tried again, but this time loaded LR first and installed an SD card and it recognized the images. The Sony "TOUGH" cards do not have the (approximately) 1/64th " individual slots that are common on the underside of the card and as a result my mac mini only recognizes the card sometimes. It usually has to be used in a card reader which gets really hot when used. I'm going to do a shoot today using an older, thinner SAN Disk Extreme Pro SD. The strangest of all, is the images being displayed on LR, but as I scroll to view more images they resort to a black square at 64kb.

jdphoto

Ok, It seems the Sony "TOUGH" card was the issue. I put in a standard SD and it worked fine. My mac mini is needing an upgrade, so that could be it. I like the build quality of the Sony "TOUGH" cards a lot. No sliding lock or plastic tabs to break off.