The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Editing 5.5k raw video canon 1dx mark iii or r5??? Any problem with replay?

haring

Is there anybody who owns the new canon 1dx or r5 who has experience editing raw 4k, 5.5k video on computer? Some people claim that rendering footage and editing is extremely hard because of the computing demand of footage? Any real life experience? Raw is great but useless if computers are not up to the task...

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I edit and render in real time ... 23.976 in Davinci Resolve Studio.

However the H.265 files need to be transcoded .... if you capture 4K 10 bit 422
to external PR HQ on an external monitor it is seemless and fast in edit/render.

NO heat issues with the 1DX Mk III ... and the files are gorgeous:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5RdKB4DSOk

iiiNelson

Is there anybody who owns the new canon 1dx or r5 who has experience editing raw 4k, 5.5k video on computer? Some people claim that rendering footage and editing is extremely hard because of the computing demand of footage? Any real life experience? Raw is great but useless if computers are not up to the task...
One of the videos I saw on the matter stated that RAW was easier to edit than the H.265 which requires one to transcode in your computer or use an external recorder to record into a more edit ready codec like ProRES or Avid DNxHR for example. This isn't exclusive to Canon really so I wouldn't make a determination on a purchase based solely on this. The H.265 of most cameras is "rough" on most computers but having hardware acceleration/transcoding helps to alleviate some of the issues. If using H.264 (or a variant) most computers have little issues without the need to transcode but most 10-bit file types are using H.265 compression for more manageable file sizes. How much this matters is subjective but typically I'd say if you have an older computer that struggles, either use an external recorder to save time transcoding after the fact, shoot 8-bit/H.264 for non-critical work, or maybe try to find some files to download prior to purchase to see what's the most efficient workflow for you.

Personally, I got a Atomos Ninja V last month while they were running their $200+ off sale with the Battery Power kit, a 1TB WD Blue SSD, and the Master Caddy 5-pack for ~$750. I also got an additional three SanDisk Ultra 3D NAND SSD's and a Samsung EVO 860... all 1TB varieties while several outlets were having data storage sales around late June to early July. This has sped up my video workflow vastly.

haring

One of the videos I saw on the matter stated that RAW was easier to edit than the H.265 which requires one to transcode in your computer or use an external recorder to record into a more edit ready codec like ProRES or Avid DNxHR for example. This isn't exclusive to Canon really so I wouldn't make a determination on a purchase based solely on this. The H.265 of most cameras is "rough" on most computers but having hardware acceleration/transcoding helps to alleviate some of the issues. If using H.264 (or a variant) most computers have little issues without the need to transcode but most 10-bit file types are using H.265 compression for more manageable file sizes. How much this matters is subjective but typically I'd say if you have an older computer that struggles, either use an external recorder to save time transcoding after the fact, shoot 8-bit/H.264 for non-critical work, or maybe try to find some files to download prior to purchase to see what's the most efficient workflow for you.

Personally, I got a Atomos Ninja V last month while they were running their $200+ off sale with the Battery Power kit, a 1TB WD Blue SSD, and the Master Caddy 5-pack for ~$750. I also got an additional three SanDisk Ultra 3D NAND SSD's and a Samsung EVO 860... all 1TB varieties while several outlets were having data storage sales around late June to early July. This has sped up my video workflow vastly.
Thanks! So external recording the way to go....

iiiNelson

Thanks! So external recording the way to go....
Provided 4K is “enough” (there are a few cameras that allow higher resolutions) then yes IMO. I really like the Atomos recorders and their ease of use/responsiveness. They have higher end models that do more than the Ninja V but for the one man band type of stuff I do with HDMI driven cameras, it’s all I need.

haring

Provided 4K is “enough” (there are a few cameras that allow higher resolutions) then yes IMO. I really like the Atomos recorders and their ease of use/responsiveness. They have higher end models that do more than the Ninja V but for the one man band type of stuff I do with HDMI driven cameras, it’s all I need.
Thanks!