The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon Travel Kit

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Whoops no matter how much you proofread.....

The lens diameters are backwards 45-200 is 52mm and Nikon 70-300 is 67mm I have them reversed.

There are a couple of other glaring typos that it is too late to fix. Sorry.
Thanks for this heads up! Really appreciate it.

Seems an interesting concept and I see why you like it. But seems not to be the camera fro me anyway.

Because if I want to photograph I do not care hat I carry around. And if I want to travel light, I just take a Clux3.

I know these are different opinions, but this is how I turned out to work over the past years.

Keep enjoying the G1 though! :angel:

J

Jeff Laitila

Always an interesting topic

I've wrestled with this very same question many times myself.

And in the end It has always come down to the type of traveling I will be doing. Most (90%) of my own personal travel is for the purpose of taking photographs, so what gear to bring is always a question. But the longer I shoot, the more I come to realize that less really is more.

I'm usually on foot at all my locations, there is no better way to really immerse yourself into the place and open up a lot of opportunities for photos. And as strange as it sounds (at least for me) the more "prepared" I am, the less I enjoy the trip.

What I mean by "prepared" is having the full range of focal lengths and apertures needed to cover all possible situations. For example, with the 5D I used to travel with the following: 17-40L, 24-105L, 50/1.4, 70-200/2.8 L IS, and a tilt-shift thrown in for good measure. But just because I was carrying all that gear, I didn't necessarily take better pictures.

I never realized it until on one trip to Western japan I forced myself to trim my gear list down to a 5D with mounted 24-105 f4 L IS, plus a 50/1.8 in my pocket along with a couple of spare batteries and memory cards in another pocket. What made this drastic change in gear possible for me was the fact that I was traveling with a friend who also shot Canon and they had decided to go the sherpa route and take a whole slew of lenses covering all focal lengths. So I figured I could borrow a longer lens if I happened to need it for a particular shot.

Over the entire 4 day trip, I only felt like I "needed" a longer focal length once. (Much to my surprise) But on the flip side, I was constantly enjoying the lightness of my rig. The 24-105 stayed on the camera most of the day, unless I needed some really shallow depth of field, and at night, I would go out with just the 50 attached to the 5D.

This was not anywhere near as limiting a I thought it was going to be.

I still do wrestle with what gear to bring on a trip. I seem to start out with a lightweight kit, but as the days go by I plan more, and more, and the kit grows. But then usually right at the last minute my sanity returns and I trim it back down to more reasonable proportions.

Your mileage may vary of course depending on your shooting style, and the location of your travel, but I suggest you "bite the bullet" once to see how it tastes.

And as a crutch, you can still bring he whole usual kit along, just leave it locked up at th hotel for a day and go out with a minimal set of gear and see how it goes. That way if it is not to your taste you can slip back into what works best for you.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I have settled on mostly two lenses
24-105 f/4
35mm f/1.4
I might bring a 70-400 f/4 but I don't expect to carry it every day.
-bob

Seascape

The bottom line is that for image quality relative to bulk and weight......the M8 is today's best travel kit IMHO.

I did Italy and Paris last fall with just a 24 ASPH and 50 Lux Pre-ASPH.......90% shot with the 24.
Something like a 15 VC would also be a nice addition......you will need wides.

The thought of using a 24 Lux ASPH, just improves an already fabulous kit.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
With Crop cameras (450D) I had great results with Sigma glass.

I just saw there is a new very small Tamron 18-270 Vibration Control (how they call this). Would be kind of an ideal combination for a 450D or 500D.

Any experience with that lens?

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
I've heard that for the cost, the Tamron 18-270 a very good lens.

I have not used the Tamron, though I had a similar lens for film and was very unhappy with it. I bought it for a long trip so by the time I was back it was too late to return it. I ended up giving it away. That's just me. I wanted to be a huge fan of the super-zooms; but couldn't handle the distortion, CA, etc that come w/ being able to zoom over such a large range.

My perfect canon travel kit (if weight were not an issue):
Nikon 14-24/2.8
Canon 24-70/2.8 (when is this thing going to get IS?)
Canon 70-200/2.8IS (weight is an issue, so I use the /4 IS)
Sigma 200-500/2.8 (heh, we all have dreams, plus it comes w/ it's own doubler 400-100/5.6)

So there you have it, 14-500/2.8 and up to [email protected]

Though I have to admit, for a 2 lens kit, Bob's is looking pretty sweet, and NICE AND LIGHT! :thumbs:

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
My perfect canon travel kit (if weight were not an issue):
Nikon 14-24/2.8
Canon 24-70/2.8 (when is this thing going to get IS?)
Canon 70-200/2.8IS (weight is an issue, so I use the /4 IS)
Sigma 200-500/2.8 (heh, we all have dreams, plus it comes w/ it's own doubler 400-100/5.6)
And then what lenses would you carry for the second body :p
:ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
That was for Chris whose idea of a light travel kit would probably be two Canon bodies + 2 M8's!!!

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
And then what lenses would you carry for the second body :p
:ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:
Second body??? *boggle* :confused:

I gave you four lenses. Clearly there needs to be four bodies. :LOL:

5D2 for the 14-24
1Ds3 for the 24-70
1D3 for the 70-200
50D for the 200-500
:toocool:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
24 on an M8 = never quite wide enough and never quite long enough!

:ROTFL:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Jack,
it is great for those who find 35mm just a bit long on a full-frame
-bob

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
Another option, but don't have it, might be a 5D2 and Tamron 28-300mm lens. Has anyone tried this for a low weight, KISS, solution, maybe add a 17-40mm L with it..

ftbt

We leave next week for our house at Lake Como. I have a choice between a D700 with a 24-70 zoom and a 5DMkII with a Zeiss ZF 28/2.0 Distagon and a Contax Zeiss 35-70/3.4 Vario Sonnar. I decided on the Canon and the Zeiss lenses, (along with my trusty G9 as a back-up and a light weight Velbon carbon fibre tripod-w-ball head.) The Nikon body and lens are a lot heavier, and I can also shoot video with the Canon.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I went to Paris, St. Petersburg, and Moscow carrying a 5DII and three lenses:
24-105 f/4 L IS
70-400 f/4 L IS
35 f/1.4 L
Summary:
The 35 1.4 came in handy in both street and interior conditions. With the high ISO performance of the 5DII I could have doen with a stop smaller, but in the end, this lens came in use fairly often.
The 24-105 was the main lens, and spent more time than any other on the camera.
The 70-200 was very useful on a few occasions, mostly where I wanted the compression. I would have preferred the 2.8 I think, but the weigh penalty makes me think twice.
I carried it all, along with a 15 inch macbook pro in a Thinktank Urban disguise 50.
What I would change:
First of all, I bought a 17 inch matt macbook pro, so that meant a thinktank urban disguise 60
Second, I am toying with the idea of adding a 24mm T/S, but what to give up?
NOTHING is willing to go. the 85 1.2 might be interesting instead of the 35 1.4, but frankly, the 35 is more useful in general.
There were a couple of situations that something longer would have been handy. I am considering replacing the 70-200 f/4 with the 70-300 DO which would be lighter and more convenient than adding a converter to the kit.
Maybe I should replace the 70-200 f/4 with the 70-300 DO.
But nothing should be removed for the 24 T/S. Maybe I should throw one of those 24 T/S in the suitcase for my early morning walks?, Oh hell, maybe I just won't bother.
-bob

ftbt

... I carried it all, along with a 15 inch macbook pro ...-bob
I used to schlep big laptops. Last year I took a Fujitsu-w-a 17" screen. This year I am taking a Samsung N120 Netbook. It weighs just a hair over 2 pounds, has a 10" screen, a 160 gig hard drive, (I've got a Lacie external drive-w-another 320 gigs), and 2 gigs of ram. I've got photoshop and lightroom on it, and basically it will fit in your out-stretched hand. Not the biggest screen, not the fastest speed, but it will do the trick until I get back.