Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Canon Travel Kit

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Canon Travel Kit

Well, I am getting ready for another trip, but maybe this time I might tote Canon.
    Any thoughts on the following for a travel kit?
    5DII
    16-35 2.8L
    24-105 4.0L IS
    70-300 4.5-5.6 DO IS
    24 3.5L TS

thanks
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Canon Travel Kit

If you are any where you might shoot low light I would also pack a 35 f2 or 35 f1.4. David

Post Thanks / Like

It's too much. I travel with the Canon 5D and, soon, 5Dii. I've found that the best travel kit for me is the 5D(ii) and 24-105mm IS lens, and only one more lens, or if I really can't decide, one more zoom and one relatively small prime. I would not travel with the 24mm TS, though I have in the past. You can do most of what you can do with that lens with panoramic stitching. I would probably take the 24-105mm and 16-35mm, and leave the rest at home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Agreed it's too much, but then I've seen Bob's "small" travel bag and trust me, he has the room

For me, the 24-105 and 35 or 50 f1.4 and either to 70-300 DO or the 70-200/4 left in the room until I know I want them -- and the 70-200 is a better optic all around. I might add a 20, 18ZF or 14 prime for interiors, but won't carry the 16-35 anymore as it's too heavy for the limited use I give it.

Another option I'm considering on the wide end is the full frame Sigma 12-24 -- I understand it may be soft-ish at the corners wide open on full frame, but supposedly crisps up there decently after f8. And more importantly it is very rectilinear with almost no distortion. Plus, in addition to covering a wider range, it's smaller than the Canon 16-35 and 1/3rd the price.

My .02,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah, I would still have room for the Cambo and a light leica kit. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And a picnic lunch, and a bottle of Bordeaux, and...

Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Some Bread, a cheese, and some Lyon Sausage would be nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Bob, you don't mention where you're headed and that would likely influence my kit.

E.G. the T-S lens stands out a bit for a travel kit, unless you're headed to Yosemite or planning some arch. stuff in France, etc.

I carry a minimum of 24-70, 50mm f/1.4, and 135mm f/2.0. I often add a 300mm f/4.0 'cuz I like it. My 16-35 goes many times, but not always. I used to travel with two bodies and seven lenses, but now try to carry just one body and four lenses. In fact, for walking the "wet markets" in Asia and the like I'd add a second body and carry the 16-35 and the 24-70 (don't have the 24-105), with the 135 in reserve.

While I love the 85mm f/1.2, I no longer carry it for travel unless I plan to do more portraits. The suggestions by the others to have at least one fast lens is a point I might suggest as well. Because of it's size, I always toss the 50mm f/1.4 in as at least one fast-ish lens. Kinda nice for walking around at night. The 35mm f/1.4 is nicer, but much larger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A week in Paris, then three days in St. Petersberg and then a week in Moscow and environs.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a nice trip. I'd want at least one fast lens for evening stuff. I get away with f/2.8 a lot, but f/4 can be iffy for what I like, so the faster lens gets me lower light stuff and a bit of shallow DoF if I want. That said, I do often carry it (50 f/1.4) and not use it because the 24-70 is f/2.8. Your IS helps, of course, but doesn't help DoF control – though at times the IS would be more useful. Always a trade-off.

Your kit looks well planned for the trip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree w/ Dale. It all depends on the location. For where you are going, I think it's a great kit. I don't have the 70-300, so I'd go w/ a 70-200/4IS, but it's more or less the same. I do bring a 1.4x teleconverter to compensate.

That stated, I'm probably not the best person to ask about bringing a small and light kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDauer View Post
    That stated, I'm probably not the best person to ask about bringing a small and light kit.
    Uh, I think we can call you two, "More and Morerer."

Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I WISH You & C
    A GRAND & WONDERFUL Time...

All the Best-H

Post Thanks / Like

Bob

I spend 2 weeks in Paris each June at a friends apartment. Based on shooting 3000 images last June:

(1) Fast wide angles are most important. In the canon line its the 35 1.4 which would be a great all around lens for Paris.

(2)The 24-105/4 is a fine all around lens but f4 isn t fast enough to catch the light and its difficult to control(limit) the depth of field.

(3) when I had a 5D I used the older 19/2.8 R lens and an adapter. The ZF 18 maybe?

One thing we really enjoy are the Hop on Hop off ferry that cruises the river. Endless opportunities. Have a great trip.

Roger

Post Thanks / Like

Bob

almost forgot...only one body?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

probably will carry a light Leica kit too.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Bob

I experimented with several different set ups for street type shooting in paris,NYC,south beach etc. I find for normal city shooting that 2 M8s is the best alternative..primarily because I draw a lot less attention shooting.

The big advantages of the DSLR are the longer than 90mm(120FOV) and the higher ISO performance. I could have used a 180 in paris but not much longer. Shooting around and from the river would benefit from additional reach and night shooting from a fast prime.
    And of course you can benefit from extra MP .

I didn t find any situation in Paris where I really wanted or needed AF.

I am very interested in seeing what you shoot in St Petersburg ....almost went back a few years.

Roger

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bob - take the M + the Canon

M8 or M8.2 with 3 lenses:
    50/1.4 preAsph
    28 Cron
    and pick one: 12 CV, 15 CV, 18mm, or one of the 21mm's - but only one from this group

5Dii
    24-105
    70-200 (Whichever version you like best - f/2.8, f/4, IS, Non IS)
    Then something faster: 35/1.4, 50/1.4, or 80/1.8

Skip the 16-35, you can fit the M8 with lens in the same amount of space and that can be your wide (and normal) rig.

Lately, I find it is better for me to NOT try to cover all bases but shoot with the gear I like to shoot and make due with less. For example, I might even skip the 24-105 and just pack the 35 or 50 + 70-200 +135L (because I enjoy shooting with the 135), but practically the 24-105 makes sense.

Do you have the Canon already?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I picked up the 5DII about 10 days ago before going to Texas since I had to shoot Dogs and Nurses (Nurses in a hospital, available light only). I got the 24-105 along with it.
    I will take the M8.2, 28 chron, and 50 1.4 preAsph and a 21.
    Since the Moscow leg of the trip will mean shooting my 2.5 year old granddaughter, so the Canon will be useful. Maybe that one, a longer and a faster ough to be enough to round out the kit.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Well, I am getting ready for another trip, but maybe this time I might tote Canon.
    Any thoughts on the following for a travel kit?
    5DII
    16-35 2.8L
    24-105 4.0L IS
    70-300 4.5-5.6 DO IS
    24 3.5L TS

thanks
    -bob
    All of this except the TS (I do not need this) and I use the 24-70 as midrange zoom - my version is a good one, as I understood there are good and bad samples

Especially I would like the 70-300 DO, nice small lens with stunning IQ for that size and price. Currently do not own any tele zoom for my 5D2, but this might be the first I get in order to have a good allround tz with low weight for travel.

Post Thanks / Like

Bring it all... I'll come along and carry whatever camera gear you want!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bob,
    I also have the M8.2 and the 5DM2. I would bring only the M8.2 with your 21, 28, 50 and add the 70 cron or 90 APO. Done. Put it in a small A&A bag (Image Smith). The Canon is good for long tele sports shooting and HD video. Not needed on your trip, it sounds like. Just MHO.

-Brad

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A week in Paris, then three days in St. Petersberg and then a week in Moscow and environs.
    -bob
    Leave the Canons home. Take a M8 and 4 or 5 lenses than pack the Cambo Rs1000 and your back with one or two lenses. Just a thought
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

I travel a lot and commonly go with the 5D and now 5DII as my travel camera. I always take the 24-85 Zeiss (now instead of the 24-105), and the 70-200/4 L IS. I take the 430EXII flash. Sometimes this is all I take. However, depending on where I go I consider taking one or two of the following Leica 28mm R, 24mm TSE, 90mm TSE. To be honest, when i went to Berlin a couple of years ago, I ended up using my 90mm TSE lens the most for walk around shooting.

When I go to a Keystone meeting (which can be Whistler, Colorado, Utah, etc etc), I pack my MF gear and a tripod. I take the Hasselblad H3DII-31, 28mm, 50-110, (sometimes the 80mm), and 210mm with 1.7x converter, extension rings, and a few ND/graduated filters. I usually get all of this in a packback. Now that I have the 1.5HTS, I need to find room. I am thinking of getting a 50mm (at some point) and bring the 28, 50, 100, 210mm and leaving the zoom at home.

Post Thanks / Like

My travel kit...(+ 50mm) it all fit's into my Domke F5-XB

http://image.blog.livedoor.jp/depail...d/4dfa2cff.jpg

I also used two M8's for a couple of years, but this is almost as compact
    and much more versatile... try it, just skip the large zoom's and way oversized L lenses and this actually becomes a very small and compact kit...(add a Zeiss ZE/Leica-R lens or two with a EG-S focuscreen and it becomes even more rigid and precise)

Post Thanks / Like

EOS 450D and Sigma 18-125.

Stunning result and almost no wight.

Maybe if I would buy new I would go for the new EOS 500D of course!

These cameras give you so much quality, freedom and possibilities which you could NOT find in even the most advanced analog SLRs some 10 year ago. And Sigma glass is cheap and great - at least the lenses I bought.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    EOS 450D and Sigma 18-125.

Stunning result and almost no weight.
    Got a 450D with a Tamron 18-200 for our daughter recently -- she wanted to move on from the P&S. This is much more compact -- and much lighter than my 5DII, and better for travel -- if your purpose is travel to see/explore Paris. If however, you are going primarily to photograph these places [lucky you] then by all means take a full kit, tripod and a few sherpas.
    Sláinte

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Campbell View Post
    If however, you are going primarily to photograph these places [lucky you] then by all means take a full kit, tripod and a few sherpas.
    Never would do this if traveling to a city

Post Thanks / Like

Never would do this if traveling to a city
    Interesting. I read this type of remark in threads on various forums and always wonder what elements are in play here. I travel to cities and (almost) never give any thought to my gear at all. I mean other than the usual "street smart" awareness. I don't drag a rolling cart with Lieca stickers all over it, up three flights of stairs in burned out crack houses, but I carry a discrete bag and whatever gear I want to use.

Obviously, people have different comfort levels, but I'd hate to not have access to my photography because of fear. If one is truly fearful, the gear can be insured so that one simply hands it over freely in the event of any conflict. It's just metal and silica, not a family member.

But I have also seen people traveling who seem to sort of project an "aurora" of obviously being out of their element and of vulnerability. It's worth learning how to jettison this look IMO.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Could be that he means that he wouldn't want all the fuss when travelling if the purpose was not specifically photography of the sort that requires the sherpas, etc.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Allyn View Post
    Interesting. I read this type of remark in threads on various forums and always wonder what elements are in play here. I travel to cities and (almost) never give any thought to my gear at all. I mean other than the usual "street smart" awareness. I don't drag a rolling cart with Lieca stickers all over it, up three flights of stairs in burned out crack houses, but I carry a discrete bag and whatever gear I want to use.

Obviously, people have different comfort levels, but I'd hate to not have access to my photography because of fear. If one is truly fearful, the gear can be insured so that one simply hands it over freely in the event of any conflict. It's just metal and silica, not a family member.

But I have also seen people traveling who seem to sort of project an "aurora" of obviously being out of their element and of vulnerability. It's worth learning how to jettison this look IMO.
    One example:

In St. Petersburg last year, during White Night season. I carry my 450D with kit lens - a really not impressive camera - and suddenly I am surrounded by 4 Russian men, who make body contact with me from all sides although there is no need for it because not so many people on the streets. I hold my 450D in one hand, my briefcase covered by the other hand, do not get into any discussion with them and just manage to disappear.

Think about that with a MF cam and tripod or a technical cam and tripod. I would not really like this situation.

St. Petersburg is not the only city you can experience this of course, immediately Moskau, Dehli, Madrid, etc come to my mind as well.

This is my main reason to travel light and cheap. If they steal my 450D I will be angry bt no big loss. I even could go to the next store wherever I am and buy a new one. TOtally diffrent for a MF cam or a tech cam

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've read several posts about Russia and how the chaps there can de-lens your camera without you noticing...
    Sláinte

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand, Peter. Different experiences and different comfort levels. My primary business requires that I carry high-value "baggage" which dwarfs the value of MF gear, so one learns to blend in and be extra alert (I mean "crazy alert") and it's not much fun sometimes. That being said, I've not visited St. Petersburg so have no experience with that. Friends of mine who do business in Russia suggest that it's one of the most corrupt environments in which to work (no offense intended toward our good Russian friends), and I can image circumstances which would make one uncomfortable.

Ironically, some MF gear looks as if it should be lower value because of its somewhat dated and clunky look. Others not so much.

I prefer to travel with 5D (and maybe a second body) and a few lenses. I don't own an M8, or that might be my choice. If photography is the main purpose of my trip though, then these days I want my MF kit. Of course, tomorrow I may have a different idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Best advice - just insure it. Then bring what you want. What's the point in owning all this nice camera gear if you don't use it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The older I get, the more I believe in and live by the KISS principle...
    Jack

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Which is exactly why I like my G1 and M8 combo. I won't travel with the D700 unless the whole trip is by car. I can't stand lugging the stuff or what to do with it when you don't want to leave it unattended in a hotel room. Also one reason that the 24 lux is so appealing to me fast! and I will replace two lenses with one. The G1 gets great reach with the 2x crop factor. I know it isn't great for sports but not what I take when traveling.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Which is exactly why I like my G1 and M8 combo. I won't travel with the D700 unless the whole trip is by car. I can't stand lugging the stuff or what to do with it when you don't want to leave it unattended in a hotel room. Also one reason that the 24 lux is so appealing to me fast! and I will replace two lenses with one. The G1 gets great reach with the 2x crop factor. I know it isn't great for sports but not what I take when traveling.
    I heard so many things about the G1. Good and bad ones.

Do you actually like it? I trust you as you work with M8 and D700, which I know both very well.

So what is the real appealing thing about the G1? And how does the electronic viewfinder work in daily life?

Thanks

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    That's where you take 1/2 your age, add 7; and never kiss anyone under that, right?

As we get older, we need to remember to continue to do strength training exercises (lift weights). I recommend bringing everything. That's my strength training.

Alternatively, it's a great way to keep your gear purchases in check. Don't let yourself own more than you can lift together at one time.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I heard so many things about the G1. Good and bad ones.

Do you actually like it? I trust you as you work with M8 and D700, which I know both very well.

So what is the real appealing thing about the G1? And how does the electronic viewfinder work in daily life?

Thanks

Peter
    OK, I almost got all the way finished writing and lost it. Here is round 2.

First we need to establish where I am coming from and my mindset. I am not as accomplished a photographer as most on this forum. I hate large heavy cameras. So, until 2007 I was using a Digilux 2 and several small sensor cameras. The Digilux 2 died and was at the Leica hospital with no vital organs available for transplant....finally, I asked Leica about upgrading to the M8 as I was really not happy with the Digilux 3 which was the offer they were currently running. Leica said yes and I was ecstatic...lens binge time. Loved the M8 but was really feeling the limitation when I needed some more telephoto.

When I figured all of this out, we were at the height of the D3 mania. However hard people tried to convince me to get a D3 it was just too big for me to handle and I bought a D300. When then the D700 came along I made the trade. Walking around with the D700 and 24-70 just isn't fun for me. It is fine when I have a purpose but not as a wander around kit for me.

Now the DP1 gets announced and I have high hopes for big sensor small camera but the usability issues turn me off. Next up the G1 comes along and answers my dreams.... so now for the G1. I can see why there is a love hate relationship from users and I will try to explain....

The body and lenses are small and light and I can carry it everywhere and that is just awesome for me. I don't think anyone is complaining about that although some people find the body a bit cramped. Here is the Nikon 70-300 f4.5-5.6 (52mm filter) compared to the 45-200 f4.5.6 (67mm filter) from Panasonic.
    Attachment 15838

People are complaining that the lenses are too slow. I don't hear people whine about the 70-300 when their other choice is the "oh so compact" 70-200.

Next up...the camera is complex. Panny packed a lot of options that a lot of people that have been around photography for a long time don't really want or need. So forget about them. It isn't as if the D700 doesn't have a million different ways to shoot it. There certainly were a number of threads with people trying to figure out the best way to implement the multiple methodologies for focus. There is no other camera that I know of with the simplicity of the M8...which is a shame.

It is undisputed that the manual focus of the G1 is brilliant. Getting perfect focus on a Noctilux is childs play. This is particularly true with manual focus and the articulated LCD. Speaking of the LCD there are shots that I take with the G1 that are easy at angles I wouldn't even begin to try and do with the M8 or D700. Note - I don't have a Nocti but at PMA I did out the new one on the G1:
    Attachment 15839

There are issues with wide angle M8 lenses in the corners. Panny is doing software corrections for their lenses. There have been a number of theories why the 28 cron isn't good in the corners. Personally I think it has to do with lens corrections in the files...Panny has acknowledged that they do make jpeg and raw lens corrections to the files. So, Panny is supposed to come out with an M adapter and they told me IF they come out with the adapter, the lenses will work just fine.

Moving onward to the EVF and this is where it is a love hate relationship for why people sold it. It is the best one out there -but to some people they just can't get over not seeing the live image. It is big and bright. As the light levels go down you do start to see a noisier image and the refresh slows. This annoys people. For me, I have a live histogram in finder and it also gains up making shooting with a manual lens already stopped down easier because you don't lose the light in the viewfinder. Now if you are coming from an M8 where you can hit the shutter all day and nothing changes in the viewfinder the G1 will be sort of odd and takes some getting used to because in normal use it freezes and is showing you the image playback. It will jolt you at first because the moving world is all the sudden a frozen image with you hit the shutter. You can disable image review, however in most instances I don't but leave it at a couple of seconds (there are a bunch of choices). If image review is on, a quick tap of the shutter will take you to the live view again. I don't think some people ever get over this.

This is not a burst shooting camera. You do get a shutter blackout it is hard to follow movement. I use focus tracking for this but Jack is probably best on the forum to address this as it was his first pet peeve about the camera. Bottom line THIS IS NOT A FIRST CHOICE CAMERA FOR SPORTS

Image quality - at low ISOs it is just fine. No it doesn't scale up in ISO nearly as nicely as the D700. The m4/3 lenses to date haven't helped as they are slow. However, as you can see above, you can use an awful lot of lenses on the camera. There will be more lenses particularly with the oly offerings that should be getting closer to reality. Is my M8 an more brilliant at dealing with low light and high ISOs, no. Can I get the ISO lower, yes use my fast Leica glass on the camera.

It has a mechanical shutter. Some don't like the noise of it. I laugh because it is like just the upgraded shutter noise of the M8 and not at all as loud as the re-cock on the M8.

Bottom line this is a new camera in a new format. I am happy to be an early adopter to ensure the format (mirroless) is taken seriously and moves forward.

The interest in this camera just BEGS for Leica to sit up an take notice that there really ought to be a Leica version....the entry M or CL that everyone has been asking for.

For me, the camera is a total keeper. Can they do some things better. Yes! Is this an incredibly well sorted out camera for the first one of this genre ANSOLUTELY!

OK....so I'm sure I missed stuff but I'm happy to answer more specific questions if you have them.

Weight of:
    G1 = 385 grams
    M8 = 545 grams
    D700 = 995 grams

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Whoops no matter how much you proofread.....

The lens diameters are backwards 45-200 is 52mm and Nikon 70-300 is 67mm I have them reversed.

There are a couple of other glaring typos that it is too late to fix. Sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Whoops no matter how much you proofread.....

The lens diameters are backwards 45-200 is 52mm and Nikon 70-300 is 67mm I have them reversed.

There are a couple of other glaring typos that it is too late to fix. Sorry.
    Thanks for this heads up! Really appreciate it.

Seems an interesting concept and I see why you like it. But seems not to be the camera fro me anyway.

Because if I want to photograph I do not care hat I carry around. And if I want to travel light, I just take a Clux3.

I know these are different opinions, but this is how I turned out to work over the past years.

Keep enjoying the G1 though!

Jeff Laitila

Always an interesting topic

I've wrestled with this very same question many times myself.

And in the end It has always come down to the type of traveling I will be doing. Most (90%) of my own personal travel is for the purpose of taking photographs, so what gear to bring is always a question. But the longer I shoot, the more I come to realize that less really is more.

I'm usually on foot at all my locations, there is no better way to really immerse yourself into the place and open up a lot of opportunities for photos. And as strange as it sounds (at least for me) the more "prepared" I am, the less I enjoy the trip.

What I mean by "prepared" is having the full range of focal lengths and apertures needed to cover all possible situations. For example, with the 5D I used to travel with the following: 17-40L, 24-105L, 50/1.4, 70-200/2.8 L IS, and a tilt-shift thrown in for good measure. But just because I was carrying all that gear, I didn't necessarily take better pictures.

I never realized it until on one trip to Western japan I forced myself to trim my gear list down to a 5D with mounted 24-105 f4 L IS, plus a 50/1.8 in my pocket along with a couple of spare batteries and memory cards in another pocket. What made this drastic change in gear possible for me was the fact that I was traveling with a friend who also shot Canon and they had decided to go the sherpa route and take a whole slew of lenses covering all focal lengths. So I figured I could borrow a longer lens if I happened to need it for a particular shot.

Over the entire 4 day trip, I only felt like I "needed" a longer focal length once. (Much to my surprise) But on the flip side, I was constantly enjoying the lightness of my rig. The 24-105 stayed on the camera most of the day, unless I needed some really shallow depth of field, and at night, I would go out with just the 50 attached to the 5D.

This was not anywhere near as limiting a I thought it was going to be.

I still do wrestle with what gear to bring on a trip. I seem to start out with a lightweight kit, but as the days go by I plan more, and more, and the kit grows. But then usually right at the last minute my sanity returns and I trim it back down to more reasonable proportions.

Your mileage may vary of course depending on your shooting style, and the location of your travel, but I suggest you "bite the bullet" once to see how it tastes.

And as a crutch, you can still bring he whole usual kit along, just leave it locked up at th hotel for a day and go out with a minimal set of gear and see how it goes. That way if it is not to your taste you can slip back into what works best for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have settled on mostly two lenses
    24-105 f/4
    35mm f/1.4
    I might bring a 70-400 f/4 but I don't expect to carry it every day.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

The bottom line is that for image quality relative to bulk and weight......the M8 is today's best travel kit IMHO.

I did Italy and Paris last fall with just a 24 ASPH and 50 Lux Pre-ASPH.......90% shot with the 24.
    Something like a 15 VC would also be a nice addition......you will need wides.

The thought of using a 24 Lux ASPH, just improves an already fabulous kit.

Post Thanks / Like

With Crop cameras (450D) I had great results with Sigma glass.

I just saw there is a new very small Tamron 18-270 Vibration Control (how they call this). Would be kind of an ideal combination for a 450D or 500D.

Any experience with that lens?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've heard that for the cost, the Tamron 18-270 a very good lens.

I have not used the Tamron, though I had a similar lens for film and was very unhappy with it. I bought it for a long trip so by the time I was back it was too late to return it. I ended up giving it away. That's just me. I wanted to be a huge fan of the super-zooms; but couldn't handle the distortion, CA, etc that come w/ being able to zoom over such a large range.

My perfect canon travel kit (if weight were not an issue):
    Nikon 14-24/2.8
    Canon 24-70/2.8 (when is this thing going to get IS?)
    Canon 70-200/2.8IS (weight is an issue, so I use the /4 IS)
    Sigma 200-500/2.8 (heh, we all have dreams, plus it comes w/ it's own doubler 400-100/5.6)

So there you have it, 14-500/2.8 and up to [email protected]

Though I have to admit, for a 2 lens kit, Bob's is looking pretty sweet, and NICE AND LIGHT!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDauer View Post
    My perfect canon travel kit (if weight were not an issue):
    Nikon 14-24/2.8
    Canon 24-70/2.8 (when is this thing going to get IS?)
    Canon 70-200/2.8IS (weight is an issue, so I use the /4 IS)
    Sigma 200-500/2.8 (heh, we all have dreams, plus it comes w/ it's own doubler 400-100/5.6)
    And then what lenses would you carry for the second body

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If the second body was an M8 I would consider a 24mm f/1.4
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That was for Chris whose idea of a light travel kit would probably be two Canon bodies + 2 M8's!!!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If the second body was an M8 I would consider a 24mm f/1.4
    -bob
    I am looking for a really pared back kit (number of items not cost)....
    New kit will be 12, 24lux, 50 pre-asph lux, 75 cron