Site Sponsors

Thread: Oil on your sensor?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oil on your sensor?

This explains a lot... I had this issue with the 1Ds2 bigtime. At least now they are offering a free cleaning -- with my 1Ds2 it took me a couple of hours and $50 worth of swabs and Eclipse to get it clean. Good news is it sounds like Canon is finally taking a proactive approach to quality control issues and the related customer service:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...=2112&id=57853
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Oil on your sensor?

jack, did you have this on your 1Ds2 or on your 1Ds3?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had the problem bigtime on my 2. So far (he says fingers crossed) my 3 has behaved.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

I had droplets on all my 1-series cameras for about a month. I kept after them with Eclipse and PecPads on a small rubber spatula thingie. After cleaning them about twice a week for the first month, the oil disappeared and I have not had an issue with them since. I think the oil comes from the mirror mechanism. Once the excess oil gets removed, there is little problem, and interestingly, now the sensor can be easily cleaned with just a light puff of air. No longer need any "wet" methods.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like

I believe one of the sensor cleaning product manufacturers (Visible dust?) sells something called "Chamber Clean" or something like that----marketed to clean excess oils/lubricants. Sometimes using a sensor swab---if not careful, you can accidentally introduce the contaminant (lube) onto the sensor itself!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Did that with my just bought 1Ds back in 2005, had dust on the sensor, cleaned it with a visibledust brush and smeared oil over the sensor, thought I'd scratched it and panicked!
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

I trimmed my full-frame VD brush back in width after doing that once and regularly clean it with 99% Iso Alcohol. The amount of oil/grease they have flying around an easily coated piece of glass is rather startling. At least unlike my old 5D the loose junk doesn't end up inside my pentaprism area..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    I believe one of the sensor cleaning product manufacturers (Visible dust?) sells something called "Chamber Clean" or something like that----marketed to clean excess oils/lubricants. Sometimes using a sensor swab---if not careful, you can accidentally introduce the contaminant (lube) onto the sensor itself!
    I thought that Chamber Clean stuff was to be used with just the mirror up and not with the sensor exposed? I have used it on my 1-series bodies and have never had a problem. I have found that most of the oil and gunk that goes flying around does abate after a month or so of shooting. When I had one of the bodies back in for a shutter replacement, Canon did a complete cleaning and stuff, and sure enough, there was more fresh oil from the mirror mechanism flying around for a few weeks that I needed to be more diligent in cleaning. Once that was over, things stay pretty clean, and all I need do now is use the Visible Dust brushes or just a puff of air to remove dust. Have no oil issues any longer.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like

For me it was the first 5D. I had some dust got my new sensor brush out and promptly smeared oil from the chamber all over the place. it was late called visible dust in the morning they talked me through cleaning the camera after wondering all night if I had destroyed my camera. I was lucky i had already bought there liquid cleaners chamber clean and sensor clean. What a scary night. David

Post Thanks / Like

It was one of my older cameras that i no longer have -- i think the 1DsmkII that I spent a fortune on swaps etc to get off. They should offer us some sort of rebate for doing it ourselves