The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help/Advice

ecliffordsmith

Hi All,

A friend of mine has a canon 400D (rebel xt ???) and it has just packed up. He is off on holiday tomorrow so I am going to try and get it fixed while he is away.

He had just finished uploading files from his camera to his PC and thinks he may have switched the camera off a little to soon. The transfer was complete as the files are ok but now the camera will not turn on again. He has tried different cards and a fully charged battery.

Are there any other things to check before sending the camera in? Is it best to contact Canon directly or send it in via the dealer?

Many thanks for any advice you can provide!

LJL

Ed,
Though I have never experienced this problem, it sounds like one of the electronic glitches confused the "brain". Advice that others have used somewhat successfully for other cameras, including the M8, it to remove the battery overnight (or a good 8+ hours), then insert a freshly charged battery and a card you know was clean or formatted before. That could be all that is needed to bring it back to life. If that fails, it may be worth a call to Canon to see what they may suggest. If it does have to go to them for repairs, turnaround is generally quite fast, but maybe not fast enough for you friend to take with him.

LJ

Dale Allyn

I agree with LJ, and suggest removing the battery for 8+ hours, replace with a fully charged one, etc., as he posted. This has resolved similar hiccups for others.

If it goes to Canon, the turn-around (in the U.S.) can vary from a couple of days to several days (like a week or two) depending on parts required, etc. I have read that Canon service in the U.S. is faster than Canon in Europe, but that may have changed now. I have had very good service from Canon Repair in Irvine, California, and Bangkok, Thailand.

ecliffordsmith

LJ/Dayle,

Thank you both very much for your advice, it is very much appreciated. It has been a public holiday here today but in the morning I intend to ask a local shop what they suggest.

Once again, thanks for your advice!