The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More shift for Canon 5D2?

spotmeter

I recently returned from Yosemite with my new 5D2. I took along a Canon 45mm TS-E so that I could get shots of Half Dome and El Capitan from the valley floor without tilting the camera up and distorting the view. Unfortunately, in landscape mode, full shift was not enough.

What are the options for more shift in a situation like this?

The lines on the 45mm lens seem to indicate that full shift is 11mm. I estimate I need at least 50% more shift, or at least 16mm. So, something that would give me 16-20mm of shift would work.

I have seen adapter plates for mounting a Canon body on the back of a 4X5, but I am wondering if there are other more compact alternatives. Also, I recall reading somewhere that the mirror box can limit the amount of shift.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Consider a Mamiya 50mm shift lens for the 645 with a Mamiya to EOS adapter. I have this configuration and you get 20mm of shift AND it's very good optically.

robmac

First, full disclosure - I have an M645 bellows kit for sale.

Ok, that out of the way, another would be a tilt/shift auto bellows (or similar), an (in this case) an M645-EoS adapter and a Large Format or Enlarger lens of choice.

The M645 bellows (as I would assume any 35mm or MF bellows) when closed, act like a ~40mm extension tube, so you'd need a LF or EL lens (say using an M645 body cap as the lens plate) to get infinity. M645 glass would give you a macro solution for some play time as well. You can also use a balloon bellows in place of the pleated if needed for more dramatic fwd standard movements with WA lenses.

The benefit of ANY bellows (be it M645, Linhof, etc., etc) is that your choice of glass is independent of the movement you want. You're not limited to a given handful of (pricey) choices from Canon and can pick you choice of WA/Stnd/Tele/APO LF or EL glass.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
the older manual bellows is a very versatile option as it offers tilts and swings too. THe only disadvantage is the minimum focal length you can use and still focus at infinity is about 110mm...

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
In the valley, I usually find the need for something wider than 45mm on a ff 35,
I am thinking of picking up the canon 24 t/s for my upcoming trip to the cotswolds.
-bob

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Having just finished re-reading St. Ansel's "The Camera", I've concluded that to do shifts right just bite the bullet go with film and a 4X5 field camera at minimum.

spotmeter

Consider a Mamiya 50mm shift lens for the 645 with a Mamiya to EOS adapter. I have this configuration and you get 20mm of shift AND it's very good optically.
Thanks for the great suggestion. I looked through my Mamiya bag and found a 50mm shift lens that I didn't know was there!

I have ordered an adapter from Fotodiox and will try it out.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the great suggestion. I looked through my Mamiya bag and found a 50mm shift lens that I didn't know was there!

I have ordered an adapter from Fotodiox and will try it out.
That's basically the same set-up I have, works very well...

bensonga

Having just finished re-reading St. Ansel's "The Camera", I've concluded that to do shifts right just bite the bullet go with film and a 4X5 field camera at minimum.
At a minimum....Agreed! :thumbs:

I'll have the camera soon enough (thanks Don!)....now I've got to make the time to get out an use it.

Gary
Alaska

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
The limiting hang-up is the lens mount and mirror box.
WhenI want to SHIFT, I pull out my cambo.
-bob

archivue

the 45 TS-E isn't a perfect lens anyway, so going with the mirex or the mamiya shift lens makes sense !
i've sold my 45 and went with a 35 PC Olympus... the zeiss contax seems even better !

mjm6

The best 35mm focal length solution is the Pentax 645 FA lens with the Zoerk adapter (NOT the older 35mm A lens). It easily beats the Olympus in my experience, plus the Zoerk allows you to put other 645 lenses on the body as well, (45mm, 55mm, 75mm and longer). Overall, its a quite elegant solution for shifting on the Canon.

Shorter than 35mm, any you are stuck with Canon lenses, but the new ones are quite good, to be sure.

(Full dosclosure: I'm about to list a Zoerk, etc. for asle, as I've switched to a Sony camera.)

---Michael