The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

1DMK3 with Contax Zeiss 85/1.2 50 Year Anniv.

S

sirvine

Just for fun, and in case anyone followed my short struggle in the Leica R forum, a few shots with the 85/1.2. Live View is essential for wide-open focus, even in bright light. I am certainly impressed. But what is that strange bokeh?!

Also, I threw in one from the Zeiss 15 at the end.

Last edited:
S

sirvine

Here's one at 100% for the pixel peepers. All shots are ISO320.

E

espressogeek

I didn't know Zeiss made a 15mm rectilinear lens. Must be nice to have a lens that cost what the 85/1.2 cost. I would love to see a Zeiss 85/1.2 vs Canon 85/1.2 to see what that extra coin gets you. :)

I just want the 50/1.2 Jahre but I never see any for sale and I probably wouldnt burn the cc to get one if I did. But its nice to day dream. :)

Thanks for sharing!

woodyspedden

expresso - if you want an Jahre, let me know. I know where are three FS.
I had both the 50Jahre 55 1.2 and the 85 1.2. I sold the 55 because I just didn't find it that exceptional. On the other hand I would never part with the 85 and my copy, which came from Pham Minh Son is the best copy he ever saw and tested. For portraiture this lens is unbeatable IMHO.

Woody

jlm

Workshop Member
ha! i live about 100 yards to the left of the BB in Manhattan in that shot and my shop is right about where the MB lands in brooklyn

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
I didn't know Zeiss made a 15mm rectilinear lens. Must be nice to have a lens that cost what the 85/1.2 cost. I would love to see a Zeiss 85/1.2 vs Canon 85/1.2 to see what that extra coin gets you. :)

I just want the 50/1.2 Jahre but I never see any for sale and I probably wouldnt burn the cc to get one if I did. But its nice to day dream. :)

Thanks for sharing!
This is not exactly what you're looking for since above is one of the anniversary Zeiss lenses (not the Zeiss ZF lens, as the link below)... still it is an interesting read. YMMV.

http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/zeiss_85mm/index.html
http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/pentax85/index.html

S

sirvine

I live nearby too. You might remember that we once did a street corner "deal" for one of your excellent LTM adaptors (which I still use almost every day). Seagulls aren't the most interesting lens test subject matter, but having the Brooklyn Bridge and East River in the background helps!

gogopix

Subscriber
The original images seem a bit flat, even OOF (of course it is not). This is a great lens, but I suspect the Canon AA filter is smoothing out the edge crispness. It is why I held on to the Kodak SLRc.

S

sirvine

You're right. Since posting these, I'd like to think that I've vastly improved at getting critical focus with these. Also, my post production technique is 180 degrees different than it was then.

woodyspedden

The original images seem a bit flat, even OOF (of course it is not). This is a great lens, but I suspect the Canon AA filter is smoothing out the edge crispness. It is why I held on to the Kodak SLRc.
Victor

I still have (and will keep for now at least) the Contax RTS III for use with the great Zeiss lenses. I have not found the 5D to produce the images I want so my best bet for Zeiss lenses is to continue to use the film body and scan. Not perfect but if I have the perfect shot I can always go to a lab that scans with the Imacons (read Dale labs) and for the more mundane use my personal Nikon 9000 which gets the job done IMHO.

Man I wish that Kyocera had continued the digital journey with the Zeiss lenses. Such a shame that this great glass goes a begging.

Woody