Site Sponsors

Thread: Canon 24-105

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Canon 24-105

Any comments on the 24-105? Just did a little research and it looks positive. I've ordered this lens for a mate to my 1DsII which will be soon converted to IR.

I'll be interested in hearing from owners of the lens.

Cheers

Don

ps Didn't this lens just come out with the new 5D II?
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Canon 24-105

Don,
    I have used this lens for the last three months.
    1) It is a great "swiss army knife" all-purpose lens
    2) I have not tried it with IR, so I have no idea of how it performs
    3) Like all wide-range zooms, watch out for the ends (especially the wide) for distortion. Better than some zooms, but it makes me itch for more primes other than the 35/1.4L I have.
    4) Sharp pretty much across the range, but the corners soften up at 24 unless it is stopped down to about f/8
    -bob

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Bob,

"Swiss-army knife/lens" is exactually what I was looking for.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I own it and use it for shooting weddings after giving up on the 24-70L due to 3 bad copies.

My first copy was horrible. This present copy is very good. Extremely sharp, perfect focus, strong, even harsh contrast (not great for people, good for everything else).

The 24-105L is known for it's bad distortion and vignetting at the wide end and questionable bokeh throughout. The vignetting actually works for me with wedding work and isn't a problem for my stitching. Not that hard to fix anyway. I use PTLens for the distortion and primes for when I need decent Bokeh!

What it is however is a very sharp walkaround lens with a aperture faster than anything else with the same range, a 4 stop IS (though no mode 2, allow it to settle if you focus recompose and switch off on a tripod!), weatherproof, etc, etc.

I was using primes for my stitching work but came to the conclusion that the zoom was more convenient when I had more resolution than I could print anyway and the results really are very sharp. These two pics were shot with the 24-105L, both stitched, both razor sharp.

_

Just to reiterate, there are incredible copies of this lens but I'd say that at least 50% are not so great so make sure you can test the heck out of it first. It should be almost prime sharp!
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don,

It is my main lens kept on the camera at all times. It does a lot of things extremely well but is not a replacement for perfectly rectilinear 24 wide or an f2 portrait tele prime.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Don,

It is my main lens kept on the camera at all times. It does a lot of things extremely well but is not a replacement for perfectly rectilinear 24 wide or an f2 portrait tele prime.

Thanks Jack

I kinda got into this lens by accident. Sandy has a great 24-70 for her Mk III and I had thought of getting one for the II then did a little research and found for what ever the reason the 24-70 is on inter-galactic backorder so the next lens was the 24-105 which I've gotten a great deal on (thanks Chris). My main landscape kit is and will continue to be the WRS however I want to dive into the IR side as well and since my 1Ds II was sitting collecting dust I figure why not; the next hurdle was to find an all purpose lens which lead me to the 24-105. I figure this will give me the reach I think I might need in Yosemite while also providing the width in the Redwoods. We'll see.

I've got to wait several weeks for the lens which isn't any big deal however I doubt I'll have it and the camera converted before the MV trip in August so that leave Yosemite as the first big outing in October.

Okay I'm running off at the mouth here however I figured I'd give an explanation why a MFDB shooter is asking for the 35mm lens...

Cheers

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like

"Swiss army knife" is an apt qualification of this very serviceable, light-weight lens. The IS is worthwhile and, unlike the 24-70/2,8 which I also have, the lens is reportedly optimized for digital. Also, the bokeh imo is not as bad as some say, and I have found that it can be quite appealing in street-shooting portraiture.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    Just to reiterate, there are incredible copies of this lens but I'd say that at least 50% are not so great so make sure you can test the heck out of it first. It should be almost prime sharp!
    Interesting observation. I used my 24-105 a lot and was pretty satisfied until I compared it on a tripod with my 50 1.4. Not really very scientific or rigorous testing, but everything about the 50 -- sharpness, color, contrast -- was way nicer to my eye. Now I'm kind of soured on the zoom.

John

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Just returned from the South Rim, Grand Canyon shooting near IR with the 24-70 and am now looking forward to the 24-105 for that extra amount of reach. BTW it appears I should have the lens next week in time for a trip to Monument Valley but not enough time to have the camera converted to IR so that process will have to wait till I return.

My thoughts on zooms vs primes are primes are always better. It's just the nature of the beast.

Thanks to all for their comments.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Isn't it a little late to ask about the lens after you've ordered it?

The 24-105mm has been out for many years now. It's a good lens, but there is the distortion and vignetting... Which are pretty mild, really.

I prefer bright glass and don't really need IS on wider lenses. I went with the venerable "Brick" a.k.a. 24-70mm. A truly solid lens (in many ways, heh). It's my default, or "go to" lens when I'm not shooting primes. I've had it in every conceivable weather condition even. It has never let me down!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I love this lens, it became my all-the-time or walk-around lens for the last year and this year maybe, the problem is that it is swapping between 2 or 3 bodies [2FF and 1 crop].

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Double Negative View Post
    Isn't it a little late to ask about the lens after you've ordered it?

Not a bit. Just looking for comments not endorsements.

Thanks for asking

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

My take on this lens is that it's wicked fast focusing, fairly compact package, and the pics are sharp...yet this lens leaves me wanting more. Although it could well be my own shortcomings in using camera and lens, I think there's something lifeless about the images. It's hard to beat for a "reasonably" priced mid range all purpose zoom, though.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's the want for primes then...
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tom in mpls View Post
    My take on this lens is that it's wicked fast focusing, fairly compact package, and the pics are sharp...yet this lens leaves me wanting more.
    I think the above response is accurate probably because most of us stick that lens on f8 and leave it there. Even wide open, you just cannot get isolating DoF on wideangle zooms, you need bigger apertures. And as Ben said, that's the want for primes...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use this 24-105mm L when I need to have maximum convenience, else a 24mm EF, 50mm USM or macro, and 100mm USM macro cover the same range sharper, closer focusing and not too much heavier. YMMV...This after having 3 copies over 3+ yrs. Guess I was a hard learner....

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I've had the 24-105 now for a couple weeks now and will be using it this week in Monument Valley. What little I've used the lens I like it for what it is. Remember the sole reason for this lens is IR photography as my main landscape kit is still the Cambo WRS. Totally agree about primes being much better.

Cheers

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Don,

+1 exactly.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 24-205 but now use a contax 24-85 more often. Lest distortion and equally sharp. I usually carry the 24-85 and 70-200/4 IS as my limited travel kit. I found that I was carrying around the 70-200/4 IS with my 24-105 anyway. The reason is that at least my copy the 70-200 was much sharper between 70 and 105 than than the 24-105. These two lenses together give great general coverage. They do not replace some of the described needs for the mentioned primes.

Paul David 99

Hi Don,

I converted a Canon 5D MkII to IR, and the 24-105 works fine. I do have to adjust the microfocus adjustment at 105mm if I want the autofocus to be accurate.

Paul

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I been using the 24-105 on my 1DsII IR now for several months and it has not let me down. The only problem is with the ever so slight vignetting at 24. I've been so pleased with this lens that it has stayed on the camera the entire time. I've sold to pieces that I did at a mission here in Tucson so the cost of conversion/lens has already been paid.

Thanks to all who have replied.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

I love mine. I have a 1DMkIIN and a 1DsMkII, I generally keep the 24-105 on the N and the 16-35 on the s. My other lens is the 100-400 which goes on whatever one I feel like!

The 24-105 is just superb, I reckon. I let a couple of fellow Canon users have a go with mine and they have both gone out and bought one. As a general walkabout lens it is perfect. I went to New Zealand for 2 weeks holiday and it was never off the camera.

One of my favourite shots with it from the Swell Sculpture festival last September

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom in mpls View Post
    My take on this lens is that it's wicked fast focusing, fairly compact package, and the pics are sharp...yet this lens leaves me wanting more. Although it could well be my own shortcomings in using camera and lens, I think there's something lifeless about the images. It's hard to beat for a "reasonably" priced mid range all purpose zoom, though.
    Don't expect sharp corners. I use this lens a lot but always have mixed feelings. Also quite strong distortions at some focal lengths, can be fixed. The range is hard to beat. I would like it to be in the same league as the Olympus 12-60mm.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

tokengirl

I agree with many of the comments here, it's a wonderful Swiss Army Knife. It's quick to focus, very sharp in the middle of it's range, not heavy and just a wonderful walk-around lens. Not bad for the occasional portrait, either.

It's only shortcoming is at its widest focal length. At 24mm, the barrel distortion is pretty bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just picked one up and I can't say I am seeing the kind of sharpness and contrast of that 'doggone good pic'. what aperture/focal length combo was that?
    Bought a refurb.

tokengirl

It was at 67mm, f9, 1/50 sec. You will find that this lens performs best from 40mm to 80mm between f8 and f11.

Oh, and not to brag on the 5DmkII, but it was shot at ISO 3200.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

yowza.
    I guess it is emblematic of the whole dslr approach, shooting at moderate aperture, hiking the ISO and using IS, because you can.

My conventional thinking is get a lens that performs wide open and stop down only when necessary for dof.

I'm shooting some tests now and will have some objective data.

tokengirl

I'm not sure it has much to do with the "DSLR approach", I think it has more to do with making a choice between a good prime that will perform wide open and the convenience of a zoom lens?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tokengirl View Post
    I'm not sure it has much to do with the "DSLR approach", I think it has more to do with making a choice between a good prime that will perform wide open and the convenience of a zoom lens?
    you mean I can't have both?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

you're right.

I did test it out some more and it gets quite good as you say between 35 and 70 at moderate aperture. It will serve as my all-round lens.

Can't help feeling like I should have simply bought a 35, 50 and 85 for the same price.

I have to force myself to remember how I used to long for a good zoom on my hasselblad to replace the backbreaking trio 65-80-120 I used to haul around on travel jobs. (+rangefinder mamiya7..!)

aprillove20

I'm using 24-105, so far it's very good.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using the 24-105L since it was released. It's proven to be a great lens on the 1Ds2 and 1Ds3. As Mark said earlier, it's weaker side is the 70-105mm range, but it's still good for walk-around purposes. At 35mm I think it resolving power is excellent, and its 24mm performance is better in the corners than the 24-70L. I recently update the Canon 24-105L review (here) and the 24-105L gallery is pretty up-to-date as well (here).

I like using the 24-105L in conjunction with the Leica M9 and 50mm Summilux ASPH (and other M primes). Basically, the Canon kit uses zooms, and the M kit provides the primes.

The 24-105L's IS is also excellent. I can shoot 105mm at 1/30th and have very sharp images. When the light starts to fall, the IS really helps, or when using a CPL and losing 1 to 1.33 stops of light and still trying to stop down to F8 or F11.