The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How to change 5D focus screen?

lowep

Can anybody give me some advice or point to on-line instructions on how to change the focus screen on my 5D without wrecking everything?

Just bought an EE-S screen kit that includes tweezers but cannot find the instructions.

Do I really need a hammer and a welding kit?

Dale Allyn

It's not difficult. Do you have the manual? I think there's a picture in there.

There's a little square tab at the front of the focus screen frame. A little pressure allows it to pop free and the frame holding the screen drops down. Replace the screen and reverse the process of pressing the frame up into place and allow the square tab to snap into place as before.

Handle the screen with care. They smudge easily. Square-tipped tweezers help.

Go slow and easy. Nothing needs to be forced. It's not difficult.

Good luck.

lowep

Bloody miracle - nothing broke & I didn't even need to use the hammer!

:shocked:

The first time I inserted the new screen it fell out again after a few exposures because I hadn't clicked the frame back in place carefully enough. But nothing broke that time either.

:p

Thanks for the helpful hints.

lowep

No expert - but this guy seems to be: here is a link to a detailed online tutorial for anybody else who wants to know how to change a Canon 5D focusing screen. Just bumped into it by accident one day after I managed with advice and encouragement from Dale to do it myself. Interestingly enough this guy does not even use a chainsaw - so his approach is probably better than mine. I accidentally came across it when I was looking for information about how to clean a focusing screen, which also seems to be a bit tricky:angry: but likewise not impossible.