The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

from scratch 1DsM2 vs. 1DsM3??

S

steve01

Hi

From what I am reading there has been some heavy debate over whether the cost of upgrading from the 1DsM2 to the 1DsM3 is cost effective for the improvements offered. This is NOT my question...

The question I have is for those who have shot (owned, used, tested, played with, researched or whatever) with both cameras and tomorrow your current 1Dsxx bodies all were gone, which 1Dsxxx would you buy to replace them? This is not about upgrading, I do not currently own any of the 1Dsxx series, so I am looking at which makes the most sense (not necessarily the cheapest) between the 1DsIIn and the 1DsIII.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! :D:D

Thanks - Steve

fotografz

Now that I have my first full fledged wedding job for the year now done, it would clearly be the 1DsMKIII. (Used a 1DsMKII since it launched, until the end of wedding season last year).

Reason 1: the operational aspects.

The MK3 camera is faster to use, the controls have been simplified and the menu is simpler to navigate. IMO, there is one main reason to use an AF DSLR ... Speed!

The MK3 is lighter (thanks to the smaller LP-E4 battery?) ... no small issue when you have camera in hand for 8 straight hours. Plus, I don't have to pack/carry the big ones like with the MK2. The MK3 has a sophisticated battery monitor that even tells you when it's time to Calibrate. I shot 8 gigs of images to 2 cards with the LCD continuously enabled, and never turned off the camera for 6 of the 8 hours ... the battery monitor reads 67% full.

The MK3 LCD is larger, which isn't really a reason to select it over the MK2 except unlike the MK2 the MK3 has Live View where it does help to have the larger LCD. Live View is a VERY handy tool for composing and checking focus when on tripod (in my case, doing group wedding formals.) There is a menu option to include a grid display.

The MK3 has Highlight Priority... again, an advantage for my line of work where the key subject is wearing all white in a sea of black.

The MK3 has dust deletion ... which from my experience with the 1DMKIII works. Important, since I change lenses frequently during the course of a wedding, including outdoors. After 1 year of use, I have not had to clean the sensor of the 1DMKIII.

There's a host of other operational improvements, but that's enough for here. BTW, zero AF issues.

Reason 2: the image aspects.

This is where it gets dicey. The MK2 was no slouch. However, in practical use either is the MK3. The MK3 simply gives you a little more to work with if you crop or enlarge. Of 400+ images done with the MK3 I cannot detect any obvious "softer" feel compared to the MK2. What I can detect is less tolerance of underexposure compared to the MK2. This may well be my lack of experience using this new camera and I still have to tweak it more. So, this is TBD yet.

Here are my suspicions concerning image quality with the MK3:

I think some Canon lenses are visibly not up to this camera's ability. Here is why I think that: I recently purchased a Zeiss N24-85/3.5 with a fully automated Canon mount from a forum member ... a lens I am very familiar with having shot it on Contax N cameras, both film and digital. It wails on the Canon midrange Zooms ... all of them, even if they're stopped down a bit. In fact it out-performs many Canon Primes at some focal lengths. Wedding images shot with that lens stand out among those shot with the Canon lenses. NONE of them look soft ... most likely because of the Zeiss contrast in conjunction with this sensor and AA filter.

What I need now is to get my hands on a converted Zeiss N17-35/2.8 and a N85/1.4 to see if this holds true. BTW, the N Zoom focused just as fast or faster than any Canon Zoom even in low light. Faster than it did on a Contax N camera (probably because of the MK3's more advanced AF, plus focus assist when using an EX flash or ST-E2 alone in the hot shoe.

S

steve01

Thanks for the write up!!!! Anyone esle want to chime in??

mark1958

One other point, the high iso capabilities of the 1dsmkIII is clearly better than the 1DsmkII. I have not compared the 1DsmkII and III directly. I sold the former before i got the later. I agree with most of what Marc said. I would add that i have been using some 3rd party lenses and I believe these can really make a difference. The leica 100mm macro and leica 28mm R, contax 35mm PC just give outstanding detail.

Thanks for the write up!!!! Anyone esle want to chime in??

woodyspedden

One other point, the high iso capabilities of the 1dsmkIII is clearly better than the 1DsmkII. I have not compared the 1DsmkII and III directly. I sold the former before i got the later. I agree with most of what Marc said. I would add that i have been using some 3rd party lenses and I believe these can really make a difference. The leica 100mm macro and leica 28mm R, contax 35mm PC just give outstanding detail.
This is pretty surprising given the pixel pitch of the MkIII is considerably smaller than the MkII.

Woody

fotografz

I'll bet the Zeiss 50th and 60th Jahre 85 1.2's would be outstanding on the 1DsIII. Anybody try one of these yet???
No, not those specific lenses, but using Zeiss 110/2FE and 250/4FE and it clearly make a difference. It's not just a matter of sharpness/contrast, but of tonal qualities and color.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
For me it's all about image quality first, so the other operational aspects take on a lesser importance; weather sealing, sensor-shake-clean, dual memory card slots, etc. I also like lighter, smaller cameras as they're easier to carry on an all-day shoot, and I like using primes instead of zooms. Thus, having multiple bodies so I don't have to swap lenses all the time is a benefit to me too...

So personally, I'd replace either one with a pair of 5D's while I waited on the 5DII :)

fotografz

So personally, I'd replace either one with a pair of 5D's while I waited on the 5DII :)
Them's Fightin' Words Jack : -)

You'll need a quad of 5Ds then ... for when the mirrors fall out ... LOL.

My 1DsMKIII learning curve is gettin' shorter ... and it's turning out to be better than anticipated. So far, images as good as the MKII, but with all the functional up-grades that made it worth the price difference.

5D images were to plastic to me, so I'm surprised to hear your POV.