Site Sponsors

Thread: Verdict - 5DII ?

Post Thanks / Like

Verdict - 5DII ?

I've been making do with my 5D, waiting for the dust to settle on the 5DII. What is the consensus? Is the 5DII worth upgrading to from the 5D? I am anxious to get more pixels for my canvas work and the better LCD and live view since I mostly manual focus with CZ lenses. However, I also want a significant jump in image quality when I upgrade.

Why are all the retailers back ordered on it? Is it selling so fast they can't keep it or is holding back units pending upgrades or an announcement?

I've seen many posts here and elsewhere about focusing issues but I mainly manual focus with CZ lenses. I also have seen many comments on how the 5DII image is a little plastic when compared to the D3x but the D3x is out of my price range so I'll give up a little image quality for the $5K savings. Any thing else I should be aware of?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Verdict - 5DII ?

Quote Originally Posted by jonboring View Post
    I also have seen many comments on how the 5DII image is a little plastic when compared to the D3x but the D3x is out of my price range so I'll give up a little image quality for the $5K savings. Any thing else I should be aware of?
    Have you considered the Sony A900? I understand it has the same sensor as the DX3 but is priced the same as the 5D2. Also, there is soon to be released an A850 that is expected to have the same sensor but rumored to be under $2k. I mention this as you compare to Nikon, which suggests you would consider switching systems. Look at Sony forum here or at dpreview.com; you will find many posts from former Canon people (like me, although I still have my 5D2...at least for a while). The only significant drawback to the A900 to me is that it does not have the superhigh ISO performance of the others.

Post Thanks / Like

The 5DII is like a German car: perfectly well designed for its task, delivers as expected with one or two minor niggles and a little bit boring. I sold my 1DSIII last year and got a 5DII a few months ago and it is just as good in most ways and better in the higher ISO and not weighing much departments.

IQ is absolutely fine - per pixel sharpness slightly behind 5D but there are a lot more pixels and you can make larger prints to high quality. RAW files need sharpening but they take it well.

It has slowly dawned on me that in a slightly dull way, this is really a very good camera indeed. And it's small and light enough to be discreet and portable in a way that a D3X or 1DSIII cannot be.

If I had to have only one camera from my current batch (Pen, M8.2, Phase P45+ system and 5dII) then I'd have to choose the 5DII because it covers the most bases and does them all pretty well. I don't love it, but I do rate it.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Tim's description is spot on.

Minor niggles--I'd like it it focused in video mode better, had a flip/twist screen, 1-series quality AF, better laid-out menus for configuration and control, etc. etc. etc, but in the end what it does it does well enough to be worth it.

The video quality and the high ISO performance are welcome fresh air. It's hard to see how you'll be disappointed with this camera if you're coming from the 5D mark I. I think you'll feel quite at home.

And to answer your other question, by all reports, it's a very hot seller.

Hope that helps,

Post Thanks / Like

i upgraded from the 5d to the 5dmkii.

i think i made a great decision and i really enjoy the 1080p video (fooling with manual controls is fun too) and the camera takes great pictures.

here is a picture i just took today with 0 edits. it was shot raw imported to lightroom then exported to flickr. no adjustments or sharpening.

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guess I am a 5D2 newbie here, have had my 5D2 for about 2-3 weeks and trying to get the hang of it. So far I have to say it is performing great overall. Images from most of my lenses are sharp, or at least I can achieve some sharp images with all my lenses. That does not mean that all are sharp as I would like. But since some are, I feel it is up to me to figure out why the rest weren't. I have noted some differences between lenses but nothing like the issues I had with the original 5D. Had 3 of those over 18 mos before I got a sample that could focus were a fennig.
    With the 5.2, things are smoother, lot of tonality, low noise and lots of pixels for large prints I like. What I would like is 2 card slots, a silly pop up flash, and about 5-6 fps. But overall I can deal..

Now I need a bigger printer then my 3800....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Replacing 5D with 5DII? A very good idea. I did that months ago.
    Extremely good resolution, dependable and predictable photos.
    Very quick adjustments from the LCD.

Summary: You will be very glad that you have made the upgrade.

Seyhun
    H3DII-31, 5DII, M8, NEX-3 and Camera collection
    http://seyhun.com
    Facebook Page

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just wish I could get a warm fuzzy feeling about the 5DMkII but there seems to be a fair amount of low level chatter about problems. Two reports on Texas Photo Forum this past week about lenses breaking loose from the mount and another death by water.

Here's the death by water which happened while it was being used to make a video.

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

John - maybe I missed something in the video you linked to, and I only listened to the first segment that was listed on youtube, but the narrator clearly states in it, that " he wrecked his camera". He did not blame the camera or lens for the problem. He was filming his buddies fishing in waiters. Was there more to the story then what I heard in this video?? Certainly this activity is risky with any non sealed housing gear. Did he claim the bayonet on the lens or camera failed? Just trying to understand how this substantiates that some 5D2's are faulty. Luckily mine has been trouble free so far...

Hoping I don't get struck by lightning...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The lens issues were not related to the video. What I was going by was the relative small amounts of moisture seen just before the failure. Most likely he wrecked by using near water.

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

John - I think it is too hard to tell just how much water was involved here from the video. Did the narrator say how the camera got wet? May have missed it..

I may be lucky with my non pro Canon bodies, and water, shooting in surf, rain etc., using moderate care, just don't think they are that easily subject to water damage, unless one has an accident or is sloppy, careless..It sounded to me that this guy suffered a bit of both, jmho from the video, ymmv.

sara_criss

I made the upgrade in March. The main advantage for me is the extra resolution and Live View. LV is a blessing for critical work. I love it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by s.agar View Post
    Replacing 5D with 5DII? A very good idea. I did that months ago.
    Extremely good resolution, dependable and predictable photos.
    Very quick adjustments from the LCD.

Summary: You will be very glad that you have made the upgrade.

Seyhun
    +1
    Sláinte

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm almost to the point of upgrading to the 5DMkII rather than a used 1DsMkIII.

How is it at ISO 25,000? I like to give my Canon 50/1.0 a work out in extreme low light.

Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnastovall View Post
    I'm almost to the point of upgrading to the 5DMkII rather than a used 1DsMkIII.

How is it at ISO 25,000? I like to give my Canon 50/1.0 a work out in extreme low light.
    Don't expect miracles.... but like Dr Johnson, I'd observe that it's the fact that it does it at all that's remarkable, not how well it does it...

to be more specific, if the scene is contrasty, well-lit and correctly exposed it gives useable results in B&W.

rayman68

YES, UPGRADE! I have both and love the the Mark II. I would not go above ASA 400 with the I and now I can go to 1000. I'm happy with everything else as well (except focus). Can't wait for the Mark III in a 7D body.

Post Thanks / Like

I just picked up my 5Dmk2 w/24-105/f4 kit. Coming from Pentax I feel compelled to get IS when I can, and despite some apparent warts so far it seems like a decent piece of glass. I shoot bad light most of the time, so most of my shots so far are all wide open at 3200. I"m looking forward to getting out in some daylight tomorrow, and also am going right to my dealer and get a 50/1.4.

I was shooting back to back with the Canon and Pentax K20d w/43/1.9ltd lens. I love Pentax colors, and the Canon was a little different but still nice. The AF was night and day different. I set the 5D to center/single AF and it never missed. And pixel peeping the images yeilded similar results (other than the AF misses with Pentax). And to me that is a win because zoom vs. an FA ltd prime really isn't a fair fight. Or shouldn't be.

I can't wait to get the 70-200/4 and 50/1.4. I'm also pondering the 85/1.8 and really wondering about the f1.2 primes. I like a light kit and those seem a bit heavy. At any rate, the 50/1.4 is fairly cheap so worth doing the exerpiment.

So far the Canon interface gets in my way a fair amount but I expect that as it is different to what I'm used to. One thing that bugs the snot out of me is that I can't preset the mag button to something other than the default steps. With the Pentax you can make the first click of the mag wheel be 1x or 2x or 4x or 8x. Makes it very quick to chimp focus and back again. Plus the manual isn't the most helpful - points to Pentax for writing a little more involved and detailed document.

But so far I'm impressed with the files, and look forward to figuring out how it shoots and reacts. And I'm especially looking forward to putting a fast 50 on it and shooting at 1.4 (even if it is soft).

Overall a fun camera with some learning/teething pains. The ergos are good (better than D700 - main reason I went with the Canon along with the brilliant f4 IS zooms. The K20d feels tiny compared to the 5D. Now I'm trying to figure out my "street cam" setup. Before yesterday it was going to be the GF1 w/20/1.7 and the Leica 45macro for good measure. But now the X1 is singing a siren song. My plan is small sensor (DLux4) middle ground (either u4/3 or APS-C), and FF.

Maybe I should just kill the rainy day fund and go stright Leica. then of course I'd have to actually learn how to shoot instead of just pushing the button...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I did it ordered 5DMkII from B&H just now with Grip, extra batteries, charger and Domke strap. Now for RRS to wake up and take my order for the L-Plate for it.

Oh, I plan to see how it shoots with a really fast 50 the f1.0 Light Sucker at ISO 25K.

Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    I can't wait to get the 70-200/4 and 50/1.4. I'm also pondering the 85/1.8 and really wondering about the f1.2 primes. I like a light kit and those seem a bit heavy. At any rate, the 50/1.4 is fairly cheap so worth doing the exerpiment.

But so far I'm impressed with the files, and look forward to figuring out how it shoots and reacts. And I'm especially looking forward to putting a fast 50 on it and shooting at 1.4 (even if it is soft).
    you might not like how soft the 50 is...wide open it is pretty bad, at least all the copies I have handled. Not any better than the lowly 1.8 which is all of 90 dollars. I'd save your money and get the 50 1.2L, which is very very good.

The 85 1.8 is pretty good at f2, certainly considering how inexpensive it is compared to the 85 1.2L, it is a good trade off for cost, size, weight and focusing speed, and still is plenty fast. the L is very good however, but the difference is small.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not crazy about the 50/1.4. It is ok for the price, but I might switch to the 1.2. I did pick up the 16-35/2.8II and am thrilled with that lens. I've never been a big wide angle guy I tried that lens. I had a shoot last week where I was inside an 8'x40' space and needed to shoot the walls. The 5D2 @ 16mm was perfect, both for stills and video.

The 70-200/4IS is worth the price of admission as well. I'm thinking of 16-35, 50/1.2 and 70-200/4 as a good "do everything" setup. I like the 135/2 as well, but frankly the 70-200/4IS is really *really* good.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I gotta pipe in here and share a quick story. I am a former Canon shooter having used all L lenses like the 50/1.2, 85/1.2MKIIL etc.

My second shooter for wedding photography shoots Canon, is on a demanding budget, so I recently recommended she buy Jack Flesher's lowly old Canon 20-35/2.8L ... OMG! I cannot believe the quality of 5D files from this lens that cost her like $450.

Just thought I'd pass this on.

Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll put in my 2 Cents on the 50/1.4. I was one of first three lenses I got with my 20D.

It was and remains to date the worst Canon Lens I've ever owned. Noisy, slow autofocus, veiling flare until stopped down to 2.8 and overall poor build quality. But I get fast lenses to shoot wide open.

I would say get the 50/1.8 and starts saving for the 50/1.2.

How ever of those first three lenses the 85/1.8 was a dream. Everything the 50/1.4 wasn't. It's the best non-L lens I've owned.
    Last edited by johnastovall; 14th October 2009 at 04:58.

Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My 50mm two-cents:

I have had two very good copies of the 50/1.4, and two so-so copies, so can confirm there is some variability. By comparison it isn't quite as good as the 85/1.8 or 100/2, but pretty close. The 50/1.2 is in a different league, a notch above the little brother being sharper, better control for flare and smooth bokeh, but it is physically larger and significantly more expensive.

My current compromise lens is the newest Sigma 50/1.4 in Canon EOS mount. This lens is very sharp wide open and has phenomenal bokeh. It is bigger and size-wise sits between the two Canon lenses. It is more expensive than the Canon version by about $100, but IMO it is worth every penny of that.

I wish Sigma made a fast 85 or 100 and a fast 28 or 35 on the same design...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnastovall View Post
    I'll put in my 2 Cents on the 50/1.4. I was one of first three lenses I got with my 20D.

It was and remains to date the worst Canon Lens I've ever owned. Noisy, slow autofocus, veiling flare until stopped down to 2.8 and overall poor build quality. But I get fast lenses to shoot wide open. .
    Interesting. That explains some of the shots I've gotten. I'm not using a hood (doesn't come with the 50/1.4) and I couldn't believe some of the washed-out veiling flare even under not very demanding conditions.

I read varying reports on the 1.2 as well, but reading between the lines a lot of that seems to be expectations.

Post Thanks / Like

Canon 50/1.4...horrible.
    Terrible vignetting up to F4..so what's the point of f1.4 and also really bad distortion...took it back the next day!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's a Canon 50/1.4 shot wide open off my 1Ds3, handheld in low light. I cropped to 4:3, but other than that it is virtually full frame:
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Forget all of them...

The macro 50 2.5 macro is one of the most underrated Canon lens extant.

Sharp sharp sharp...

No pride of ownership but great optics.

Bokeh smokeh...its all in the capture...and this lens will deliver.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    Interesting. That explains some of the shots I've gotten. I'm not using a hood (doesn't come with the 50/1.4) and I couldn't believe some of the washed-out veiling flare even under not very demanding conditions.

I read varying reports on the 1.2 as well, but reading between the lines a lot of that seems to be expectations.
    I even bought a hood thinking that might help. I didn't help that much.

Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Here's a Canon 50/1.4 shot wide open off my 1Ds3, handheld in low light. I cropped to 4:3, but other than that it is virtually full frame:
    You got a good one, Jack. Seems to be a lot of variation in them.

Mike Johnston

Shelby Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    My current compromise lens is the newest Sigma 50/1.4 in Canon EOS mount. This lens is very sharp wide open and has phenomenal bokeh. It is bigger and size-wise sits between the two Canon lenses. It is more expensive than the Canon version by about $100, but IMO it is worth every penny of that.
    Hey Jack... how is focus with that lens... especially at various distances/apertures. I had it during my short stint with the a900 and thought it phenomenal. I keep hearing that, specifically with canon, focus shift is a real and consistent problem. Not so much with other brands.

I loved that lens and the look it gave. Buttah!

Care to elucidate?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby Lewis View Post
    Hey Jack... how is focus with that lens... especially at various distances/apertures. I had it during my short stint with the a900 and thought it phenomenal. I keep hearing that, specifically with canon, focus shift is a real and consistent problem. Not so much with other brands.

I loved that lens and the look it gave. Buttah!

Care to elucidate?
    Hi Shelby,

I calibrated the focus for the Sigma wide open on my 1Ds3 at 3 meters and have found it to be spot on at a variety of distances, one of the reasons I am so high on it. At the time, I remember testing it for the next few smaller apertures and did not notice any significant focus shift issues...
    Jack