The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon 7D

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Pretty solid rumors are all aligning on a Canon announcement of the 7D this week...

- Crop body (1.6x or 1.45x)
- 18MP
- Dual Digic IV
- 8fps
- new AF system with 19 cross-type sensors
- new metering system
- 3" LCD
- Full HD Video

This camera will be announced with two new EF-S lenses (15-85, and 15-135) which will utilize the new "hybrid" image stabilization technology that Canon announced about a month ago.

This might be a nice sports/action camera, if the AF system is responsive.

Mike

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Not trying to be dense but what market segment is this body aimed at?
To me, it seems like Canon uses a one digit name to "enhance" the market position, thereby admitting that the 50D has fallen too far behind the D300 to maintain the double digit names for "premium" cameras. It's a development of what the 50D didn't succeed to be, but should have been. (Nothing wrong with the 50D, but while the D300 changed the game, and still sells at a premium price, the 50D was a rather dull improvement of the 40D, which was a rather dull improvement of the 30D, which... no revolution since the 20D.)

The 7D looks good to me :thumbup:

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Exactly - the 7D is aimed at the D700. It is also a strong sign of features to come in the 1D Mark IV, although that camera is rumored to have 10fps, DIGIC V, and a whole new 51-point AF system.

There will also be a 60D at some point, but without all these bells and whistles (single DIGIC processor, 5-6 fps, more simplified AF, etc).

Terry

I just can't imagine it competing with the D700 at a 1.45 or 1.6 crop. With a 7D name it would imply a body style like the 5D which isn't exactly weather sealed which would be important for sports/wildlife. Seems more like D300s competition. Also, with 18mp in a 1.6 crop wouldn't noise start to be a problem? All the rest of the specs seem interesting.

nostatic

7D is aimed at the D300s. They are trying to win on MP. Funny when Canon themselves dropped the resolution on the new G11 and S90. I guess the APS-C division didn't get the memo about high pixel density sucking...

I waited for Canon's Sept. 1 announcement because I am about to purchase a new body. Spec.'s (although unofficial) look impressive except for the 18 Mega pixel APS-C 1.6/1.45 crop sensor. I had hoped for a full frame to compete with the Sony A850. If it turns out to be FF, I'll probably buy it. If not, I will have to consider switching systems and going with an A850. Maybe Canon will drop the price on the 5d MK II?

To me, a crop camera has two major drawbacks , the black hole at the wide end and a small/dim viewfinder. A wide end fix calls for an EF-S 10-22 F/3.5-4.5 or equivalent and I really do not want to get into EF-S glass because my eventual goal is FF. The viewfinder issue, for macro and landscape in my case, is helped significantly by live view on a nice LCD. I just don't understand video without an ambidextrous screen. Come to think of it, an ambidextrous screen would be very useful on a still camera. I think the A850 at $2k poses a real problem for Canon; they were always afraid that Sony would get aggressive on price and they would have to try to compete. That has apparently just happened.

nostatic

there are frustrated 5dmk2 owners out there though I personally don't like 24p for the things I shoot. I don't know about 18mp in aps-c - be interesting to see how noise is handled/looks. It does kind of give the D300s a kick in the rear.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Nice camera. If I were a Canon user, I would be all over it...

Would be a nice camera for my OM lenses... hmmm... :confused:

Christopher

I think it is a lot more interesting what this model tells us about the Future. It shows us a lot what will come with a 1DsMk4. Like New AF, Video options, leveling, Buttons you can program, and of course resolution. Here I expect the 1DsMk4 to be more towards the 35Mp instead of the full 47. This could leed up to some very nice additional Dynamic Range and high ISO performance. I think it also points into the direction that the 1dMk4 will be FF and no 1.6 crop anymore.

I think it is quite smart from Canon, testing a new AF system with a lower end model and not pushing everything to the top end, because if it fails there, well we know what happened to the 1DMk3 AF ^^

dseelig

This 7d is aimed at the d 300. It will be a nice camera with the 70-200 f4 If you have a 5d mk11 with a 24-105 this will be a very nice 2 camera walk around set up . 24 to 320 with 2 bodies high megapixel count and good low light performance.

Christopher

Yes that, too but I also think Canon is offering it for people who prefer a cropped sensor for wildlife or sports shooting. I mean there are some benefits. So if Canon goes FF with the 1DMk4 there is another Canon model you could choose from with very high fps.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Interesting to see Canon doing it's usual thing of putting new features in the low end cameras first.

Mark K

Exactly - the 7D is aimed at the D700. It is also a strong sign of features to come in the 1D Mark IV, although that camera is rumored to have 10fps, DIGIC V, and a whole new 51-point AF system.

There will also be a 60D at some point, but without all these bells and whistles (single DIGIC processor, 5-6 fps, more simplified AF, etc).
7D is simply an upgrade from 50D, trying to go after 200D/300D

LJL

I think it also points into the direction that the 1dMk4 will be FF and no 1.6 crop anymore.

I think it is quite smart from Canon, testing a new AF system with a lower end model and not pushing everything to the top end, because if it fails there, well we know what happened to the 1DMk3 AF ^^
The Canon 1D cameras have always been APS-H sized sensors at 1.3x crop, not 1.6x crop as is found in the APS-C sized sensors of the 10-50D and "Rebel" cameras.

Aside from the not so great experiment of the new AF in the 1DMkIII when it came out, Canon has usually introduced many of the new controls and changes to cameras below their flagship 1-series bodies before moving them up to that level. So it will be interesting to see if Canon does incorporate a new AF system upwards with any new 1-series body(ies) that may be introduced later. The change in pixel pitch to 4.3u is pretty dramatic also. Still looks to be able to deliver nicely to about ISO 1600 but maybe not so good at ISO 3200 and up due to aggressive NR and increased contrast. If that new pixel size holds up, the 1DsMkIV, if it comes out, could have near 35MP resolution or so. Now that could get interesting.

LJ