The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Budapest & Prague

drazin

Have:
Canon 5dmkii
35mm 1.4L
50mm 1.4
85 1.4
28-70 2.8

Leica M7
35mm summicron
50mm summilux
90mm summicron

(looking to get a mamiya 7ii for MF)

what would you guys suggest i bring?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I did Prague two summers ago with a pair of 5D's, 28, 50 and 85 primes, and a 16-35 that I pulled out once. Given what you've listed, and knowing what I know now, I'd take your 5Dii, and all 4 lenses you listed and call it goo. OR drop the 35/1.4 and add in the M7/35 for street.

Rawfa

I did Budapest with an E-P1 and my only issues was at night when I wanted to take pictures of the Danube and the bridges...bare in mind I was using the very slow kit lens. I don't know how different it would've been with the 20mm f1.7.
I'm sure your Canon can handle it with absolutely no problem. Be sure to walk around the Danube at night and if you have a chance go for a boat ride at sunset. You'll go crazy with your photos.

rayyan

I was in Prague in August/September. M8 + 28 +75; next time i would cut the
75 and bring the 50.

Take the M7 and the 35 or the 50. You will enjoy Prague more. Take a few rolls of neopan 1600 if you must.

p.s just returned from zurich/munich/venice. M8 + 28 +50. ( i had the 75 hidden somewhere :)

p.p.s some from Prague..M8+28 cron asph

Last edited:
F

FStopIan

Hi,

As for Hungary...

I was really surprised how nice it was there. Luckily I was with a friend and her family. I saw a local side and experienced the country over a traditional goulash cook out. Basically it starts in the AM and is eaten in the early evening out in the country side surrounded by wine cellars, rolling fields and quaint weekend homes.

If you can dip into this type of experience I would say it is well worth the effort. While there I did regret not having the gear to capture the wine cellar's... mostly a tripod, they had so much character.

If you do manage to run with some locals, make sure your palincha(sp?) intake is up to par. It's long day of shot sized drinking.

Enjoy!

Here is one image I have from the trip and around the cookout, sadly the only one I have online as these were film days... http://modestbike.com/handsome/index.php?/projects/on-foot/ (2nd in gallery)