The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

BIG SUR, JANUARY

Hi,

I will be driving from Los Angeles to San Francisco next week, coming in from Fla. I would like some Big Sur tips for:

Sunsets: Beaches

Sunsets: Overlooks with broad view of coast

Waterfalls

Also, any tips for the butterflies at Pismo Beach or the elephant seals at Piedras Blancas?

Thanks

Guy

Terry

What date are you leaving. We are just entering a very stormy weather pattern with a lot of rain/wind predicted for all of this week.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
gas up outside big sur
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL: Excellent advice!

Waterfalls -- the only one of note near the road -- the PCH -- is at the North end of Pfeiffer. There are also a handful inside the parks if you want to hike to them.

Beaches -- again at Pfeiffer, there is "hole in rock" that makes a decent foreground element for a sunset. However, many CA beach parks close at sunset.

Definitely plan on spending a few hours at Point Lobos, especially Weston Beach, though you cannot shoot sunset here due to closure per above.

Monarch butterflies -- the 4th generations hibernate every year in Pacific Grove, and can be found hanging by the thousands in almost every Eucalyptus tree in or around PG.

kdphotography

Waterfalls----actually, south of Pfeiffer and Big Sur (proper), the most famous waterfall to see is McWay Falls. Parking right off the highway and the easiest access. Spend the ten bucks to pay for parking (helps maintain the trails) and don't rip up the side of the already eroding hillside to the trail. We'll make a quick visit to McWay Falls in February for Capture Integration in Carmel...it's just too easy not to!

Last edited:

Lisa

For breaking waves, parts of Point Lobos State Reserve are spectacular. The best area I saw for waves was a part of the reserve called something like "Devil's Cauldron".

Lisa