The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Road Trippin Across the USA

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
As I find myself under-employed, I thought now would be the perfect time to take a little time off and travel about our great nation.

I'm looking for recommendations on places to see, places to eat and places to stay. If you know a great place (it doesn't have to be local to you, I'm going everywhere) please let me know!

I'm leaving in less than a week and plan to hit a number of our national parks and visit some friends along the way. If you'd like to meet up for coffee, let me know!

Currently on my agenda:
Antelope Canyon,
Arches,
Bryce,
Estes Park,
Grand Tetons,
Monument Valley,
Rimrocks,
Sedona,
White Sands,
Yellowstone,
Zion,
plus hit 48 states.

And as this is a photography site, it's only fitting I list the kit I'm bringing:

5D2, 7D, 20 converted to IR
Nikon 14-28/2.8 w/ adapter + Filters
Canon 24-70/2.8, 70-200/4IS, 85/1.2II, 1.4xII
Zeiss 21/2.8

I'd love to hear back on additional recommendations! Thanks!

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Chris

This sounds like a "one in a life time opportunity" to really do what you want with your photography. When I saw the Robert Frank exhibit in San Francisco last summer ....I kept coming back to the map that traced his travels across the country. He hit a lot of small towns and discovered a part of America that we seem to have forgotten. Since you appear to be from the west coast you might consider picking some areas that would be new to you.

It is surprising when I see a europeans images from america..they are often different .

When I scout for locations ...I often research all the various photographic workshops and the major event schedules . This is how I found the Tall Ships Festival in SF year before last.

If you make it to the east coast feel free to contact me and I will point you to the interesting locations.

Please start a Blog and post as you go . I am sure you will get some amazing recommendations once people know where you are .

Don Libby

Chris – Agree with the blog idea. As for the trip I’d suggest stay away from the interstates and travel as much as possible on the secondary roads. Don’t forget the State Parks as well and also make sure you buy a National Park Pass for the National Parks. Your trip reminds me of our Alaska trip – we had no set agenda and didn’t care if we drove 100 miles a day or not. Take your time and be safe sounds like a great trip.

Don

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
Thanks guys!

I plan to purchase a National Park Pass (they are good for one year so I hope to go a fair amount!)

I don't have a personal website, so my blog tends to be more like email updates I send to family and friends. I should do something about that though.

I am relying heavily on the Garmin 765t GPS. Figure I click, "avoid highways" and hopefully it'll take care of most of the rest. And to answer your next question, no I am not one of those people that would so blindlessly follow it that I'll drive into a ditch :p
I always keep my eyes on the road and figure it I make a mistake or can't make a turn safely, then it'll recalc and correct as needed ;-)

The road is calling... in a few hours... after a catch a little sleep... zzzzz :sleep006:

Scargos2

In Arizona, near Monument Valley is Horse Shoe, Mexican Hat, Valley of the Gods. South is Canyon de Chelly stay at Thunder Bird Motel great S WEST hotel & Window Rock