The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Zealand

waynelake

Hello from New Zealand...

Well I'm a kiwi, been living in Queenstown for the last 6 years.

As far as travelling to NZ goes, the more time spent here the better. Even all time spent in the South Island, forgetting the North Island if got limited time and would not be disappointed. My opinion is minimum of 3 weeks is needed. My honest opinion is 4 or 5 weeks or longer. But, we all have to work...A lot of people say if 6 weeks then spend 2 weeks in North Island.

Link here tracks and walks. Theres downloadable PDF brochures on certain tracks like Routeburn, Milford etc.
http://csl.doc.govt.nz/templates/ByRegionLanding.aspx?id=35796

waynelake

This photo as an example of how blue the sky is...Only a bit of sharpening added, nothing else, 400D 12-24 @12mm. End September. Looking south. These are the Remarkables. Apparantly, one of few mountains that are north/south.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Sweet shots wayne! We defintiely need to plan a wokshop down there Guy!

waynelake

Yes Guy and Jack. Lets think now. Got to get that R10, or is it the M9...Early 2009 sounds good:D Mind you, no time like the present...

Anyone been to New Zealand please have a say...photos...

I did a rush trip a week ago from Queenstown to Haast, West Coast, Christchurch, Auckland with a few days at Raglan. The weather was perfect blue sky no wind in South Island, and similar in North except 2 days. Coming back Mt Cook and surrounding mountains perfectly reflected + blue sky, almost too perfect, but was in a hurry time limits, no photos.

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
Waynelake,

Beautiful pics! Wish I could have seen some of that BLUE!

I just got back from a 3 week trip there. I wish I'd spent more than 4 days on the North Island. I think 6 would have done it nicely.

I'm still working on my write-up; but I've got tons of work catch-up to do, so it'll be a bit still.

We did 4 days on the North Island around Rotorua (Thermals, White Water Rafting, Glow worms). We got rained out of our activity 1 day. Then we flew to the South Island (Christchurch). Enjoyed a day there and then drove south to Queenstown, with a night at Lake Tekapo and a night at Mt. Cook. (loads of fun!). From there we, we did the Milford trek (guided) (5 days). Back to Queenstown for a single night. Then way early the next morning boarded a bus (then ferry) for our trip to Stewart Island, with a few hours out for Ulva Island. 2 days later, we flew into Invercargill, rented a car and explored the Catlins, spending the night in Owaka. The next day we explored more of the Catlins as we made our way back to Manapouri. The following morning, we had a cruise out into Doubtful Sound (thanks Richard!), and that night finished the drive back to Queenstown. Finally back into Queenstown, we enjoyed a few leisure days of shopping and doing the Shotover Jet and Fly-by-Wire. Then back home. We covered some pretty good ground. Saw lots of great things...

And were terribly confused by this "great weather" everyone kept telling us about. It would be cold and overcast in the morning, and by LATE afternoon, we'd have a tiny little hole that would show blue.

To all the Kiwi's... Come to California and let us show you what REAL good weather looks like ;)

waynelake

Hi Chris

Tell you now. Not many Kiwis have done Milford Track or been to Stewart Island, including me...:) One day... How crazy is that fly-by wire, never done it, but Shotover Jet and Rafting was where I took photos for work years ago.

The sunny/rainy days can be any time of year, with Oct/Nov quite windy, mid Jan- onward better summer type days (usually). At Shotover Jet I noticed for maybe 6 weeks around December the sky extremely blue and difficult on the eyes...Its to do with the further away from the equator one gets north or south (I think this is correct?).

This photo 2 days ago is straight from camera, Raw - resized. Evening light. Twice a day ?10-11am, and toward evening there is that type of light, half lit up Mountains. Early morning is 2D look, in shade. Or 100% sunlight.

I thought of actually going to Arizona. Those photos with road going through the mountains/dessert? looks appealing...I need to do some geography and find out where I'm going :D

Don Hutton

NZ is absolutely the most spetactularly scenic place I have been to on the planet. South Island is simply awesome - diverse and splendid, plenty of weather, great wines (not just sav blancs - the pinots can be as good as they get), food, people and a passion for Rugby, you pretty much have heaven on earth - and like the real deal - if it weren't so far away and arduous to get there, we'd all be there already...!

Jim Stone

Workshop Member
Wayne,

Fabulous scenery and images. I've been trying to get down there to trout fish for the last 3 or 4 years. I want to combine the fishing with photography to maximize the trip. Keep posting images, we all enjoy them.
Jack and Guy,

I like the idea of a workshop. I know Leica would pick up at least the airfare for us heavy users !! LOL !! :D

Cheers,

Jim

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I wish but this certainly has Jack and I thinking. It could be expensive trip though with airfare being the biggest expense

waynelake

First is 12 Mile Delta. This was where I lived for a year or two, right there on waterfront. Its free, or nearly free (very cheap to stay). Its a Dept. of Conservation Site 1-200acres...10 kilometers from Queenstown toward Glenorchy. Theres the 2D/shadow look early morning ?8-9.30am? The scenery is same/similar as from Queenstown but from different angle, and hardly any people. Busy time, ?maybe? December-mid February. Camper Vans Rule:D

2nd, The Earnslaw steam ship (1912?), Cecil peak. Queenstown.

3rd From Deer Park Heights, Queenstown, looking west. I quite like this, although someone with more photoshop experience no doubt could do better. Also, in different lighting/clouds, or with snow would be interesting...

Info: Queenstown is VERY tourist orientated. Bungy/jetboating/rafting/helicopter flights/skiing/parapanting etc etc..."Expensive". I met a person from Europe, who could afford one activity. He had ?2dozen brochures fanned out, got a stranger to pick one. It was tandom skydiving. Said was best thing ever he did, and wouldn't have picked to do himself...

Now, some New Zealanders, think Queenstown is much too commercialized, and live in Wanaka. The scenery is same/similar with mountains further away...less commercialized. Both places have plenty of things to do like walking tracks, day walks for free.

waynelake

Wayne,

Fabulous scenery and images. I've been trying to get down there to trout fish for the last 3 or 4 years. I want to combine the fishing with photography to maximize the trip. Keep posting images, we all enjoy them.
Jack and Guy,

I like the idea of a workshop. I know Leica would pick up at least the airfare for us heavy users !! LOL !! :D

Cheers,

Jim
Hello Jim

I lived near the outlet of Lake Wanaka some years ago. For me was a great place, and scenic. Can get photos similar to sunset one just posted with layers of mountains...Caught Brown trout and Rainbow. I found out when packing to leave, a few cars ariving. ???Whats going on here? Itn't it a bit too dark? So I stayed. The person beside me got a 7lb Brown trout. 2 minutes later I got a 5lb...:)
In winter the water sometimes calm reflecting, and is a beautiful lite blue colour...

Last edited:

waynelake

NZ is absolutely the most spetactularly scenic place I have been to on the planet. South Island is simply awesome - diverse and splendid, plenty of weather, great wines (not just sav blancs - the pinots can be as good as they get), food, people and a passion for Rugby, you pretty much have heaven on earth - and like the real deal - if it weren't so far away and arduous to get there, we'd all be there already...!
Hi Don and everyone. Possibly the best place I've seen (besides internet) concerning hiking/day walks/information/photos/stories is the "Wilderness Magazine".
http://www.wildernessmag.com/index.htm

Farnz

Hi, guys, I lived in NZ for 30 years (currently in London but planning to return for good soon) and most of my time was spent in the South Island. I took a friend to see NZ last year and visited the Bay of Islands and Coromandel in the North Island for the first time and was just blown away by the scenery.

Yes, the South Island is my favourite place in the world for scenery - and I'm lucky enough to have been to a large number of places - but please don't dismiss the North Island like I did for too long. Taranaki was also very beautiful but I just wish they'd lose all the damn Lord of the Rings advertising!

Pete.

A view from Whitianga Beach in the Coromandel with my humble D-Lux 2.

Stuart Richardson

I am an American, but a bit of a Kiwi as well, so you are tempting me back! My parents are American, but I was born in Auckland, where they were living in the 70s. I have not been back since I was 12 or so, and I am nearing 30 now, so it has been awhile. I must say that the South Island really was so gorgeous when we went there. I remember the Remarkables, Milford Sound and the national parks being absolutely amazing. I am sure it has changed a great deal since the 80s though! The only place that I have been to that comes close is Iceland, where I am now. In fact, they are quite similar, only Iceland is colder and has no trees or wine! They do have rotting shark, rams' testicles and whole sheep-heads for delicacies though, so at least they have that going for them ;).

PeterA

Anyone who likes trout fishing and photography - has to check out NZ - there is a particular lodge thier that can only be described as 7 star accommodation/food/wine facilites and scenery..not to mention fighting fish in perfect waters...

i would definitely join a workshop held in NZ.

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
Anyone who likes trout fishing and photography - has to check out NZ - there is a particular lodge thier that can only be described as 7 star accommodation/food/wine facilites and scenery..not to mention fighting fish in perfect waters...

i would definitely join a workshop held in NZ.
Okay. So what is the name of the lodge!?!?!? :confused:

Stuart Richardson

Probably Huka Lodge. I stayed there when I went in the 80s and it was probably the nicest place I have ever been. I think now it is something like a Zeiss lens a night...back in the 80s, the US dollar was a lot stronger and there was no Lord of the Rings tourism!

waynelake

This is Very popular event now.
We got Possom Burgers, Gorse Flower Wine.....
http://www.hokitika.com/wildfoods/

I am an American, but a bit of a Kiwi as well, so you are tempting me back! My parents are American, but I was born in Auckland, where they were living in the 70s. I have not been back since I was 12 or so, and I am nearing 30 now, so it has been awhile. I must say that the South Island really was so gorgeous when we went there. I remember the Remarkables, Milford Sound and the national parks being absolutely amazing. I am sure it has changed a great deal since the 80s though! The only place that I have been to that comes close is Iceland, where I am now. In fact, they are quite similar, only Iceland is colder and has no trees or wine! They do have rotting shark, rams' testicles and whole sheep-heads for delicacies though, so at least they have that going for them ;).