Site Sponsors

Thread: Side trips from Photokina (Cologne)

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Side trips from Photokina (Cologne)

I'm planning on attending Photokina 08 in late September. First off, anyone else planning on going to the show?

Secondly, my wife and I (and our 20 month-old daughter) are playing with the idea of going over a week early and taking in the sights. We are looking at the following destinations as possibilities:

Paris (I've never been there, she has)
    Burgundy
    Amsterdam
    Rotterdam
    Brussels

We were thinking of either taking the ICE/TGV trains or renting a car.

Any suggestions? Photo ops are of course the most important criteria, followed closely by good food.

Thanks,

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Side trips from Photokina (Cologne)

Hi David,

I am toying with the idea of going to the show. It is a good excuse to pop across to Cologne and drink some Koelsch. The brauhauses in Cologne really are no other place.

I work in Brussels and would say that it is well worth an overnight stop. The train network in Belgium is very cheap ane extensive. Bruges and Ghent are really worth seeing and also Antwerp. If you go to any of these place please let me know as I can give some good addresses.

A real gem of a city to visit is Maastricht.

Burgundy would be quite hard for you to do without a car.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dfarkas View Post
    I'm planning on attending Photokina 08 in late September. First off, anyone else planning on going to the show?

Secondly, my wife and I (and our 20 month-old daughter) are playing with the idea of going over a week early and taking in the sights. We are looking at the following destinations as possibilities:

Paris (I've never been there, she has)
    Burgundy
    Amsterdam
    Rotterdam
    Brussels

We were thinking of either taking the ICE/TGV trains or renting a car.

Any suggestions? Photo ops are of course the most important criteria, followed closely by good food.

Thanks,

David
    Grandparents to start bud. Just go with your wife and get away. Trust me as they get older it becomes extremely difficult to get away. But if it was me i would hit Italy and rent a car and just cruise the coast.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you've never been to Paris, DO IT! It's an extraordinary city. In my humble opinion, it's far, far more interesting than the other options. The TGV makes it quick to get there.

Lisa

P.S. Italy, which Guy suggests, is wonderful too, but much farther away. I'd save it for a later trip.

P.P.S. When in Cologne, don't miss the cathedral. It's one of the greatest Gothic cathedrals in the world. The best photos are from a substantial distance away, looming above Cologne like a great black battleship.

Peseecot73

Side trips from Photokina Cologne

Can anybody shed any light on the living away from home allowance/ tax relief?