The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Monument Valley

Don Libby

If I may, I looked at my maps and routing guides I use when planning a trip and came up with this suggestion...

Spanish Fork to Moab is 183 miles
Hit Canyonlands and or Arches for sunrisre and great early morning shots

Moab to Mexican Hat is 125 miles with Valley of the Gods just east approximately 20 miles.
You'll be on the 191 south most of the way and travel through the small town of Bluff UT. Just west of Bluff and shortly before the 191 makes a turn south is a place called Sand Island. This side trip won't take any time at all - go in and see the rock art there.

Mexican Hat to Monument Valley is 21 miles.
While here and after you've driven in the Valley of the Gods and MV you might want to take a peek at the "Goosenecks of the San Juan"

Monument Valley to Page is 142 miles
Here you can made a fast visit to Upper or Lower Antelope as well as the Gooseneck of the Colorado River. You'll also pass over the Glenn Canyon Dam and pass by Glenn Canyon on your way north.

Page back to Salt Lake City is the longest stretch at 370 miles.

Personally, I wouldn't fly into Salt Lake City unless there was some sort of reason for it on this trip. Or I'd fly in there and out say Flagstaff which is 125 miles south of Page.

Please let me know what you think of where you're staying in Mexican Hat as I've been thinking of staying there as well; beside I hear they offer great steaks.

Good luck on the trip and let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Don

D

Don Neyhard

Hello Don & Steve--

Mexican Hat--my most favorite place--Stay at the San Juan Inn, drink a cold one while overlooking the San Juan river and forget the steaks--Have the absolute best Navajo Tacos in Navajo land. I can't help myself and must have them for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner knowing it will be quite some time before I make it back on the next trip. And it would be hard to find a more central place to some of the best shooting around.

Good shooting,

Don

Don Libby

Thanks Don! I'm headed to Bluff this Tuesday for a quick down and dirty shot in Valley of the Gods and along Comb Ridge and will be staying at the Desert Rose. I'll be returning in June for a longer period before meeting Ken in Page.

Not sure which sounds better - tacos or steak...:D

Don

dogstarnyc

Don H,

thanks for the tip... they sound great...!

Don l,

Enjoy your quick excursion tomorrow.....
I am going via SLC not PHX to see a good friend and to carry on shooting close to the salt flats after I've been down to MV, see link to pics http://www.stevebrickles.com/client/utah/ the first three were on the I80 west of SLC, or close to it.

I think going via Page might be a stretch too much (I'm slowing down now that I'm hitting my mid 40's). The way back from Page I know after my last trip to Bryce and Zion.

So far, with your help I think I'll do Dead horse point plus valley of the gods then MV for a few days then Sand Island on the way back up the same way I came in...

After my last trip I think if I plan too much I won't have time for some of the amazing Utah shots literally on the side of the road...

Steak or Tacos then.....

With my expanding waistline I think I'll have both... be rude not to.. :)

S

Don Libby

I completely forgot to mention Dead Horse State Park! Beautiful spot and one I try to get to whenever I'm in Moab. Sorry 'bout that...

Tried to eat at the Swingin Steak this past Wednesday and was told they didn't open until 5. Seeing as how we didn't want to miss sunset and we'd be closer to Bluff we ended eating at the Cottonwood Steak House. I hope to try the Swingin Steak in June when I return.

dogstarnyc

Great stuff Don...

Do you like fishing....?

I ask because the more I think about it, the more I'm being reeled in to your route you advised... :)

Slot canyons... cannot do Utah twice and AZ once and not shoot a slot so to speak..

I see my game plan changing a bit...

Steve