The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SF - where to go?

Simon M.

Hey All,

I'll be down in SF from the 16th until 20th of March. The better half is in a professional development course during the week - which gives me a great chance to get out and take some images on my own schedule (i.e. not inconveniencing anyone else). The weekend is 'proper' vacationing so less time for photography.

Any recommendations on must sees that might be less obvious? This is my first trip to the bay area so I'm sure to hit the 'tourist' options, just looking for some more out of the way locations.

Thanks for any help/suggestions,
Simon

jsf

It depends a little on what you like to take pictures of. For scenic coastline, the North coast, in Marin is beautiful as are the redwoods at John Muir state park. SF and Oakland both are pretty cities and are eminately photographicable (if that is a word) The wine country in Napa and Sonoma is gorgeous this time of year. All of this is less than an hour from downtown SF. Driving south on hiway 1 is pretty awesome. If you like people and buildings stay in the city if you want very pretty landscape one hour due north, north by north east or south will be what you want. Also night photography anywhere in the immediate Bay Area is pretty cool. Joe

Simon M.

Thanks for the tips. I'm much more confortable with scenics (landscapes, cityscapes) than other forms of photography. It sounds like if I drive an hour in any direction I'll be set - that is definitelly what I like to hear!

Lisa

Another vote for seeing redwood forests (probably Muir Woods would be most convenient if you're in SF, plus you get the Marin headlands view of the Golden Gate Bridge on the way back). Nothing else like them!

Don't forget, too, that Yosemite is just 4 hours away...

Lisa

Joe

I'm in the same boat 1st week of Sept. A few days in SF and 4 or 5 to roam. Debating on wine country vs Yosemite. Suggestions for early September?
Thanks,

Anders_HK

I lived in California in the 90;s, and have now been to 39 countries and lived in 11... what comes back in mind of my most favorite and spectacular scenic and landscapes around Bay Area:

- Muir Woods
- Napa (or Sonoma) wine areas (very highly recommend V. Sattui Winery in Saint Helena, Napa which per memory only sell there of by mail order but are outmost high quality, still can remember the Cabernet Sauvignon and Port wine with cheese and bread in their garden! Here http://www.vsattui.com/)
- Monterey, Carmel and 17 mile drive
- Golden Gate Bridge
- Sausalito

Further away is Yosemety, Tahoe and more distant is Grand Canyon (most beautiful pile of rocks I seen)

I would suggest doing a search for photos on Flickr or similar to see what attracts you. I common do so for all my travels as a helper.

Regards
Anders

Godfrey

You don't have to go far to get lots of beautiful landscape scenery in this neck of the woods. North and east are one way.

South another. Roll down Hwy 1 from SF to Santa Cruz ... The coastal cliffs, the lighthouse at Pigeon Point, rolling fields and hills inland, lots of twisty little roads, Santa Cruz itself, Natural Bridges State Beach, Pescadero State Beach, Pescadero itself ...

In SF itself, the Presidio, the Fort Point and northern coastal area, the Point Lobos area, the Great Highway and Ocean Beach, Golden Gate Park, Lake Merced, Twin Peaks ... all of these present excellent opportunities for landscape and scenic photography without even leaving the city.

Never mind all the wonderful urban landscape, even if you don't want to take photos of people!

I've lived in this area since 1980 and I'm a long long way from finished making photographs of it. :)

edmund

Im here too for the week!

Where is the best place to see the Golden Gate bridge?

Ive been to a place on a hill that has a great view, but Id like to get somewhere closer to the water.

Also, the Looking Glass photo store is great! They even have an M9 in stock if anyone is interested... :)

OlliL

I would definitely underline Anders' recommendation of the 17miles-drive where you really get a lot to see and also a trip a few miles south the coast. Carmel and Monterey have great buildings and scenerys to capture.

SF itself is great too, but when you want to shoot landscape, their is a lot more to see.

Damn when I think about that, I might spend my next vacation in California again... :)