The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Advice needed on trip to Acadia National Park

Patrick Collard

Hello All,

I'm planning a trip to Acadia National Park and the Maine coastline in two weeks. Any suggestions for must see areas to visit for photography?

Thanks,
Patrick

Terry

You've got to at least get a cute lobster picture before you devour it.

Seriously, have a great trip. I love the Maine coast but haven't been there recently enough to give you photo tips.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
It's a beautiful time of year to be in Maine. I live about 50 miles inland from Acadia and have been there many times. You'll have lots of company since it's a popular spot, especially now. Traveling the roads at peak times can get frustrating so you might consider travel times (early morning, week days, etc.) that will minimize the traffic.

The popular spots are worth seeing, Cadillac Mt., Thunder Hole, etc., but there are many beautiful areas just outside Acadia that might be of interest too. For instance, if you go back to Ellsworth and take a right towards Sullivan, look at a map and find Scoodic Point. Beautiful rock formations and a view that looks directly across to Bar Harbor.

Don't forget that most of Maine lies away from the coast. Most people who don't know the state think of it in terms of the images they see of the coast. But there are equally beautiful spots inland. For instance, if you were up for a day trip, you might consider going to Baxter State Park. And if you're really adventurous (you have to be) you might consider the hike up to Knife's Edge at the top of Mount Katahdin.

If you're sticking close to Acadia, do try the Lobster from one of the many roadside stands that cook them outside in sea water. Very informal and very good.

Enjoy yourself, it's a great place!
Best,
Tim

Godfrey

My brother's heading up to Maine later this week for his vacation. He has a couple of friends with a big house there, loves it.

I've not been to Acadia National Park since the 1970s. It was magnificent. If you're camping, watch out for hungry raccoons ... a tribe of them did a war dance around my car where we had all the food stored.

Have a great trip!

johnnygoesdigital

Hike the beehive in the early morning for great uncrowded views. Also, take the ferry to Swans Island and photograph the lighthouse and quite bays. Corn on the cob with blueberry pie also make for great photographs! Swans Island is not your typical tourist attraction, but you'll be assured of quintessential Maine photographs!

Almost forgot to mention take the park loop in Acadia for amazing views anywhere, and of course, a photograph of the sunrise from Cadillac Mt. . +1 for the hike to Baxter State Park! There's also a cliff face in Acadia where peregrine falcons nest. It has trail that traverses up the cliff face, but easy to do. The views are amazing, but check first, as it might be closed for the mating season.

Ron (Netherlands)

Take some macro stuff with you for capturing nice little beasts around the many lakes!
and find a really bright day to capture pictures at Cadillac Mountain.

Oh and try some of the local Bar Harbor beers!

cheers

where did that frog go....

....there he is (shot at Jordan Pond with an old elmar 90mm on a Visoflex)