The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

suggestions for Berlin & Prague?

Lisa

I'll be playing tourist in Berlin & Prague the from the end of November through the beginning of December. Does anyone have suggestions for places for good photography? Or any other suggestions, for that matter? I'm aware that I'll be there during the Christmas markets, but haven't been to them before.

I will be traveling by train, and won't have a car, in case that matters.

Thanks,
Lisa

Robert Campbell

Prague is fairly compact, if you stick to the centre. Old Town, Jewish quarter are good; the Charles Bridge is very very crowded, the quarter opposite the old town is quieter. The castle is a bit further away. Bit given over its soul to the tourists, alas.
Haven't been to Berlin yet.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Berlin,
Of course the brandenberg gate with milling humanity, usually good street shooting nearby and maybe an organ grinder. Nearby the holocaust memorial is quite touching, just an array of stone rectangular prisms of varying heights but even tops. See people interact with a stone maze.
Walk the length of Unter den Linden and rest your feet at any of the numerous cafes. Ogle at salvaged pieces of the old "Wall" which are used as decoration in front of the occasional shop

In the twilight, catch the Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gedächtnis-Kirche to see some light-play on a WWII ruined church that is still in use, although in a refurbished state.

I enjoyed the Berlin Zoo, a very nice collection, but you are there at an unfortunate time of year.
Be sure to go to the Gernam Kristkindlmarkts, of which you will find (I think) three in Berlin. Although I prefer the intimacy of Munich's MarionPlatz and the stands surrounding the Rathaus, Berlin is somewhat more cosmopolitan.
I fear that you may be less impressed with photo opportunities this time of the year, but the street shooting is always good.

As for Prague, since I was there just last year, their market is more a New Years market than a christmas market since during the long Soviet era, most of the christmas festivities were secularized and moved to the new year.
Mold of the old town square is great to shoo, particularly at night. Be sure to go to the Jewish Quarter and shoot the new Synagogue, which is actually quite old indeed.
The street that runs from the Old Town square through the Jewish Quarter is Boutique row, so it resembles similar streets world-wide.
Take in the Fred and Ginger building and walk across the river. Take the funicular up the hill for an overview of the Old city from the other side.
GET OUT before New Years if you are at all claustrophobic, as I said, it is High Season there.
Please take note of the Art Deco decorated architecture (Mucha-style) which is practically everywhere
Take a bus ride and get out of town to take in a few nearby towns and maybe even the Ossuary, a macabre sight indeed.
I filed a few of my shots here http://www.flickr.com/photos/rwfreund/sets/72157603599910201/
Have fun, and remember to get out and walk around early when everyone is still sleeping, it is a very different place.
-bob

Last edited:

Robert Campbell

Something else; there is a good view from the top of the clock tower - the entrance is through the visitor information - bring small change, as the attendants don't have any.
Ginger and Fred is a bit of a traipse away - we didn't think it worth the walk - and there are lots of overhead cables getting in the way of pix.

Lisa

Thanks very much for the suggestions. I'll print them and take them with me. The architecture looks fun.

Bob, can you explain what you mean by, "Mold of the old town square"? Did you mean "Most", or is "Mold" some sort of Czech term, or is there indeed some fascinating fungus there? ;-)

Lisa

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Oh heck, read what I meant, what what I typed:lecture:
I meant to say Most and shoot erg, I ought start prrof reading some one of these days.
-bob

Robert Campbell

Enjoy the trip Lisa, but wear decent shoes. The streets and pavements/sidewalks are cobbled or square setts, and quite uneven - it can get quite tiring walking around.

Lisa

Enjoy the trip Lisa, but wear decent shoes. The streets and pavements/sidewalks are cobbled or square setts, and quite uneven - it can get quite tiring walking around.
Don't worry, Bertie, I always do. I've dealt with cobblestones and other rough terrain before. I'm one of those American tourists in athletic shoes (my feet have taken me a great many good places, so I feel they deserve no less comfort-wise), but at least I wear black ones so they blend in a *little* better with the less comfortable but more stylish shoes worn by most Europeans!

Thanks,
Lisa

P.S. Can anyone tell me when the typical dinner hours are (i.e. when the restaurants will be open) in Prague?

Lisa

Around 7:00pm
The crowds are there at 8:00
-bob
Thanks, Bob. 7:00 I can deal with. It's the 8:00-opening places in Italy that cause my stomach to despair... (I'm generally an early riser & early eater.)

Lisa

woodyspedden

Hey Lisa

I was in Prague last year for a week and never had a problem finding interesting things to shoot. As has been stated, old Prague is very compact and there is so much interesting architecture you can hardly go wrong with just letting your feet and eyes do the work. If you have the time, try to get to see some of the theaters (I went to see Don Giovanni on the 200th anniversary of its premiere in Prague) because they are really special and you get to "relive" premiere nights et al. Very special in my opinion. I was delighted that I had the M8 to guide all my efforts that night.

I found that while Charles Bridge is very crowded, if you can stay up late (I have some trouble with this) that at 1:00 AM you can get some great and moody shots. Again this is one very special place. This was my first trip to Prague and I plan to go back and (slowly) participate in the beauty and charm of this great city.

Have fun, take great images, and don't lose sight of the objectives

All the best

Woody