The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Beijing!

edmund

I have a free week in Beijing!

Ideas/suggestions -- hostels?

Best places to photograph?

Any and all advice would be most appreciated!

Thank you!

Lisa

One photography suggestion...just behind the Forbidden City there's a park on a hill (I think there's a very small entrance fee) that has a great view down into the Forbidden City.

If you like interesting architecture (for photographing or just looking at), take the subway to the Olympic area, which has some extremely cool buildings (especially the "bird's nest" stadium & the "bubble" swimming hall). I don't know whether you can go inside any of them - I just wandered around the outside.

If you like people-watching, go to some of the big parks (there are several along a string of lakes west & north of the Forbidden City), where there are groups of local people doing various things (tai chi, ballroom dancing, some sports involving small balls, artistic banner-swirling, small music & dance performances, etc.) that are interesting to watch and perhaps photograph.

And don't miss an excursion to see the Great Wall if you can - a couple of the more popular sections closer to the city are (from what I hear) crowded tourist traps, but the Simatai section was uncrowded and authentic-feeling when I was there a couple of years ago, and though it was farther away, a fast highway had recently opened which made it not too long to get there. You'll probably need to hire a car & driver to take you there, however - not sure, worth some research, but probably.

Lisa

Lisa

I'm afraid I'm no help to you on that question. I stayed at the Hyatt.....:D

Lisa

P.S. If you feel like splurging for a good reason, I'd heard that the "Made in China" restaurant in the Hyatt has some of the best Peking Duck in town, so I tried it, and it was indeed far better than any I've ever had here in the U.S. Highly recommended if you're not on a strict budget.

mmbma

The great wall is hit during public holidays. If you find yourself in Beijing between October 1-10, Feb 15-20, and May 1-7, make a twight trip to the great wall and 2-3KM of it will be lit by light at night. makes for some great shots

clydepo

The Hilton Wangfujing is a great hotel about 1/2 mile to the forbidden city. Stayed there several times and never disapointed.

www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/china/hilton...wangfujing.../index.html

clydepo

The two things you must not miss are the Great Wall (go early and you will need a half day) and the Panjiayuan Antiques Market – seriously don't miss this. I have never seen anything like this anywhere. I'd allocate 3 hours for this.
The other stuff to do in Beijing is pretty obvious but here is my list.

Forbidden City – go in the south gate – you will need 3 hours here minimum

Temple of Heaven

Yonghe Lamasery

Vincent Goetz

Subscriber Member
????? Mutianyu Great Wall
Schoolhouse Hotels

The best place to see the Wall, and if you can get Grandma's place for a night you will be pleased.

Also, go to 798. A square kilometer of art. NE corner of the City, between the 2nd and 3rd rings.

The Forbidden City can be magical, but make sure you walk the Hutongs.....

also, Clydepo is correct, both mandatory visits.