Site Sponsors

Thread: Los Angeles, Las Vegas, San Francisco

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Los Angeles, Las Vegas, San Francisco

Hello,

we are travelling during the first 2 weeks in December to the above mentioned cities.
    Knowing that we only have a very short time in each city, I would like to maximize the doable spots in each city.
    We have a car in LA, probably in Las Vegas and so far I have read/heard, that SF is walkable.

Any tips/recommendations are highly appeciated - thank you very much in advance.

Greetings, Jurgen

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Los Angeles, Las Vegas, San Francisco

Jurgen,

What sort of tips do you seek? Places to photograph, places to see, places to eat?

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Steve.

sorry...I am looking for good/interesting spots to take photos of/at. For example that famous winding road in SF, places to take the "best" shots with best view.
    Tips like "the xyz-hotel has an observation desk which hardly anyone knows from where you have a good view on the las Vegas Strip"....something like that.

Thank you very much in advance.

Greetings, Jurgen

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

San Francisco has many spots that take on very different character depending on the weather from crystal clear to cloaked in fog.

You always have the Golden Gate Bridge and there are many locations to shoot from. You have Baker Beach, Fort Point, Marin Headlands, Fort Baker or simply walking over it.

Sutro Baths can be really interesting especially for a long exposure smoothing out the water.

Depending on when in town there are lots of opportunities for street shooting.

I don't have a lot of secret spots but try and make my shots of SF have an element that is recognizable but not the same as you see everywhere. Like trying to get a recognizable part of the transamerica tower without it being just a building shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And here's a link to Lombard Street in SF: https://plus.google.com/111818177878...ut?gl=us&hl=en

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Make an appointment to go see the Neon Graveyard in Las Vegas.
    Brad Husick

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i love the Eiffel tower restaurant for lunch in Las vegas, no car needed if you stay in town
    Boulevard restaurant in SF, Legion of Honor is very nice spot, farmer's mkt. on the embarcadero (babette's larder for lunch)
    Lobster rest. on the santa monica pier in LA ((i don't get there often)
    a car in SF is useful, berkeley-oakland hills give great bay views, point Reyes is a cool spot in Marin

hmm...I'm getting hungry

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you VERY much for the replies so far, very much appreciated. It is the first time I am travelling to those destinations and unfortunately I don't have much time and therefore have to make the most out of it. Any more tips are very welcome.

Greetings, Jurgen

Post Thanks / Like

I'd suggest trying to see a little bit of LA that isn't on the normal tourist list (ie Rodeo, the Grove, the SM Pier, Hollywood Blvd).

Will Rodgers State Park off of sunset blvd in the Palisades if you are nature people...there are some wonderful hikes with beautiful coastal views. Also about 5-10min from Griffith park (where the zoo and famous Griffith observatory are located) are a couple beautiful stretches of the LA river where you'll see 10-20 different species of birds, bridges and damns from the 1920s, and even fish...a good place to start is the relatively new North Atwater Park.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you very much.

Greetings, Jurgen