Site Sponsors

Thread: Portland, Oregon

Post Thanks / Like

Portland, Oregon

Hey guys. I'm taking a weekend vacation to Portland, Oregon sometime in March. I might rent a car while I'm there. I love shooting all kinds of photography, so I would like recommendations on what is worth while shooting in the area? I already plan on doing some street photography but looking for more specific locations especially for potential landscapes.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Portland, Oregon

Where to start? Here are a couple of classics:

Columbia Gorge - Old Historic Hwy - lot's of famous waterfalls and scenic vistas from Women's Forum, Crown Point and along the road. Multnomah Falls is the famous one but there are many many others if you take the trails along the highway.

Japanese Garden - if you're in town I'd say that this is a must visit. It's in Forest Park and well worth a day. There's also the classic city/Mt Hood landscape scene from up there too.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Graham! This will be most helpful. I'll probably be gone for only 3 or 4 days so this should be enough to keep my occupied.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Where to start? Here are a couple of classics:

Columbia Gorge - Old Historic Hwy - lot's of famous waterfalls and scenic vistas from Women's Forum, Crown Point and along the road. Multnomah Falls is the famous one but there are many many others if you take the trails along the highway.

Japanese Garden - if you're in town I'd say that this is a must visit. It's in Forest Park and well worth a day. There's also the classic city/Mt Hood landscape scene from up there too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

+1 to both places Graham had mentioned.

Although not close to Portland, but I would consider taking a full day to drive down and visit Crater Lake, and bring an Oregon quarter with you ;-)
    David Young
    My journey into Leica: LeicaLux.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by animefx View Post
    Hey guys. I'm taking a weekend vacation to Portland, Oregon sometime in March. I might rent a car while I'm there. I love shooting all kinds of photography, so I would like recommendations on what is worth while shooting in the area? I already plan on doing some street photography but looking for more specific locations especially for potential landscapes.
    If you are interested in street photography, there's an "underground Portland" walking tour through some of the more interesting downtown areas that will familiarize you with the locale. Takes about 2 hours total. Worth taking the tour too, and plenty of people shots to be had once you know where things are.

I did it last year ... it was a kick.

G