The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Scotland in September

cerett

I will be visiting Scotland next September for two weeks. Two days will be in the Glencoe area and five days on the Isle of Skye. I would appreciate any advice regarding equipment and must-see places. My interest is primarily in landscapes. I would like to get up to the Old Man of Storr. Thank you.

Regards - Martin

markmullen

Hi Martin, You've got plenty to go at in that area, one which feels like home to me despite never having lived there!

Around Glencoe take the Glen Etive road, it is a meandering single track road which finally, after many miles, ends up at Loch Etive. All the way along there are fabulous views.

On Skye take the road to Elgol, again another wild bit of road but with famous views towards the Cuillins you'll be spoilt for choice for compositions.

Depending on whether you're taking the ferry from Mallaig or driving across the bridge to Skye you've got potential on both routes, the road to Mallaig has plenty of dramatic vistas, the road to the bridge passes Eilean Donan Castle which is famous.

In terms of kit, your usual landscape kit, and some way of weatherproofing it if it isn't already, particularly on Skye the conditions can change from minute to minute, often with heavy rain. The foregrounds around this area can be very dark, so either ND grads or exposure blending will often be required.

Have a great trip, it is a wonderful part of the world, and feel free to email me (mark at mydomain) if you need any more help.