The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Republic of Ireland.

rayyan

I have been to Ireland about 5 times. Unfortunately never left Dublin.

This time around, my wife and I have decided to visit Ireland multiple times till
we have covered this beautiful country w-e and n-s.

I need help to determine where to start. June is the preferred month ( with sep. as the other option without further plans to worry us ) on our way across the pond. But for me, nothing is carved in stone. I can go when and where I want. The wife has some schedules to keep. I have none.

Tentatively, we want to take the Virgin Express train from the U.K and take a ferry into Ireland from Wales ( I have to check this ). A couple of days in Dublin at the most and away.

Spectacular scenery, coast or lake, forest. Long hikes or mountain climbs for the wife..photography and easy living for me. Fabulous pubs ( I do not drink but do enjoy good music, good company and a good time ), lovely villages..just watch life go by.

The people are one of the best..I know that from my previous visits there.

We will rent a car, but prefer to see the country walking or biking.

Initial destination we have selected is the Dingle Peninsula in the southwest.

Any and all help shall be appreciated. No strenuous activities for me is the only
Condition the medics have placed on me.

And please no international hotel chains for us. Authentic Ireland is what we are seeking.

Thank you.

Last edited:

rayyan

Daniel, Sagar...

Grateful for your advice and link. Seems a lovely lovely country to visit.

Kindest regards.

Godfrey

I've visited Ireland several times, my most memorable trip was 2008. I stayed in Dublin, near the train station, but spent most of my time riding DART up and down the line from Howth to Greystones. At the time, an €8 day pass covered as many trips on the DART as I wanted to make in a day. It was brilliant.

On other trips, I've visited Belfast and Krumlin in Northern Ireland, and rented a car in the Dublin area to travel around Wicklow, Carlow, Kildare, and Meath counties. Beautiful countryside in all, lovely people in all.

Next trip over, I will be visiting Cork and Galway, where relatives of a friend reside. I expect that will be the best trip yet.

G

rayyan

Godfrey, thanks for responding. You seem to have been around them parts!

We intend to take it in a leisurely fashion..with a couple of counties per visit.
That is the plan anyway. Let's see how it pans out.

Kindest regards.

RVB

I've visited Ireland several times, my most memorable trip was 2008. I stayed in Dublin, near the train station, but spent most of my time riding DART up and down the line from Howth to Greystones. At the time, an €8 day pass covered as many trips on the DART as I wanted to make in a day. It was brilliant.

On other trips, I've visited Belfast and Krumlin in Northern Ireland, and rented a car in the Dublin area to travel around Wicklow, Carlow, Kildare, and Meath counties. Beautiful countryside in all, lovely people in all.

Next trip over, I will be visiting Cork and Galway, where relatives of a friend reside. I expect that will be the best trip yet.

G
The west coast is very impressive,and also Giants causeway in Antrim...

Robert Campbell

Carsten Krieger's guide is useful and accurate. I'd day that May, June and September are the most reliable for good weather; July and August are often grey and rainy.

The "best" scenery is round the edges, round the coastline; most of the interior isn't so interesting. My favourite area is Connemara.

Beware that the Giant's Causeway can be packed with people; and don't try to climb up the Shepherd's Path -- far too many steps.

There's a lot of touristic-type development, specially in the more favoured areas -- finding the "real" Ireland isn't so easy as it once was.

The Republic uses the Euro -- €; N Ireland uses sterling -- £. Some roads in the Republic have tolls -- and the M50 motorway has an electronic toll for which you should register in advance (if you want to use it, and don't want a fine). See: eFlow Toll Tags Ireland
Irish is spoken in a few areas, and the roads signs there are often only in Irish; but you'll find that the people will all speak english.

You could ask on: Photography Ireland for tips etc.

Have a good trip!

Ben Rubinstein

I was in County Wicklow in late October and there was beautiful fall colouring. I have to say though that our opinion was that this 'garden of Ireland' didn't come close to the Lake District in North England or the Highlands of Scotland. People were incredibly nice though. They don't make them like that any more.

RVB

I was in County Wicklow in late October and there was beautiful fall colouring. I have to say though that our opinion was that this 'garden of Ireland' didn't come close to the Lake District in North England or the Highlands of Scotland. People were incredibly nice though. They don't make them like that any more.
Much of the film Braveheart was shot in the Wicklow mountain's,it's pretty nice but you have to drive around a lot for the best scenery,I think the west coast is more beautiful ..

rayyan

RVB, Robert, Ben...

Thanks for the very helpful insights. It seems difficult..too many counties, too little time!!

But thank you very much guts. I really appreciate your opinions.

Best wishes to you all.