Site Sponsors

Thread: Galapagos Islands

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Galapagos Islands

Hi,
    I'm going to the Galapagos Islands in July 2014. It is NOT a dedicated photo tour, rather a family oriented trip on a National Geographic boat. I'm wondering if it is worth bringing my Phase One IQ 180 and 645DF body or if this is a poor choice and I should instead stick with my Canon DSLR system. Advice appreciated, and please tell me the "why" for your advice. Thanks much!
    Will
    Will

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Galapagos Islands

I think photos of your family in this special place will be more memorable than wildlife photos, so I think whichever system will yield more family candids is the better choice.
    Brad Husick
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't take the phase - I went a few years back and there's quite a bit of trecking involved. Also, on cruise ships, going ashore with often quite big groups often means 'keeping up' and so you'll need to be nimble. My personal choice would be an A7R with FE lenses 24-70, 55 F1.8 and a good wide, maybe the Zeiss 21 F2.8 on an adaptor or the Samyang 14mm. You'd get MF quality, almost MF resolution, and you could carry the whole lot without breaking sweat. There's lots of light so you probably won't need a tripod.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't know what company you are traveling with but I was there last year and we spent a lot of time jumping in and out of zodiac boats. I would take the Canon gear or better yet, do what Tim recommends plus a monopod.
    Mr.Gale

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bring what you like using and what gives you the greatest satisfaction. If not, bring both and decide later.