The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Galapagos Islands

WWLEE

Hi,
I'm going to the Galapagos Islands in July 2014. It is NOT a dedicated photo tour, rather a family oriented trip on a National Geographic boat. I'm wondering if it is worth bringing my Phase One IQ 180 and 645DF body or if this is a poor choice and I should instead stick with my Canon DSLR system. Advice appreciated, and please tell me the "why" for your advice. Thanks much!
Will

bradhusick

I think photos of your family in this special place will be more memorable than wildlife photos, so I think whichever system will yield more family candids is the better choice.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I wouldn't take the phase - I went a few years back and there's quite a bit of trecking involved. Also, on cruise ships, going ashore with often quite big groups often means 'keeping up' and so you'll need to be nimble. My personal choice would be an A7R with FE lenses 24-70, 55 F1.8 and a good wide, maybe the Zeiss 21 F2.8 on an adaptor or the Samyang 14mm. You'd get MF quality, almost MF resolution, and you could carry the whole lot without breaking sweat. There's lots of light so you probably won't need a tripod.

Mr.Gale

I don't know what company you are traveling with but I was there last year and we spent a lot of time jumping in and out of zodiac boats. I would take the Canon gear or better yet, do what Tim recommends plus a monopod.
Mr.Gale

Shashin

Bring what you like using and what gives you the greatest satisfaction. If not, bring both and decide later.